No announcement yet.

Incident at Academy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminds me of a conversation I had with a coworker when I worked for a big corporate equipment company. This guy volunteered (with overtime pay) to stay at the office overnight while the yard was being paved. I asked him what his plan was if someone came in trying to steal something. He said, "I'll sit right here and drink coffee while they load the equipment and drive off. If I went out and yelled at the thieves I'd probably be fired before sun up."

Comment

I can totally relate.
      When I was 18, I was working graveyard shift at a convenience store while waiting to go in the army. It was in a bad part of town in San Antonio. I was robbed one night and as soon as the robber left the store I grabbed my pistol and went after him. I caught up to the guy as he was crossing the street and I aimed right between his shoulder blades. He ignored my yells to stop and just as I decided to shoot, I noticed houses in the background and I knew I couldn’t pull the trigger. I just couldn’t take the chance of missing and hit one of those houses. I went back to the store and called the police.
      The company I worked for fired me for violating company policy of carrying a firearm. I knew the rules but chose to go against them.
      Those who make the rules generally don’t have to live with those rules.

Comment

And these company policies hurt society. You don't think this rampant thief doesn't increase prices to the consumer. Anytime you let crime go unpunished you get more of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
          I can totally relate.
          When I was 18, I was working graveyard shift at a convenience store while waiting to go in the army. It was in a bad part of town in San Antonio. I was robbed one night and as soon as the robber left the store I grabbed my pistol and went after him. I caught up to the guy as he was crossing the street and I aimed right between his shoulder blades. He ignored my yells to stop and just as I decided to shoot, I noticed houses in the background and I knew I couldn’t pull the trigger. I just couldn’t take the chance of missing and hit one of those houses. I went back to the store and called the police.
          The company I worked for fired me for violating company policy of carrying a firearm. I knew the rules but chose to go against them.
          Those who make the rules generally don’t have to live with those rules.
          Sounds like you also narrowly avoided a murder charge, although I'm sure times were different back then it was likely still not advised to shoot someone fleeing a crime in the back.

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
            For what? Wrongful termination? She violated the policy, what would she be entitled to?
            For not having one of those Covid protection plexiglass barriers
            Might have deterred the punch as well

Comment

So anybody know if there are any consequences to walking out with an armful?

I mean maybe every 5th time I go in I out to be able to get an "all I can carry" discount too

It would make up for the increased price I pay to cover what they let go so only fair for me

Policy or not, she should not have been fired unless this was a repeat violation. Reprimanded maybe

Comment

Originally posted by buxNdux View Post
                Not defending academy but that’s exactly the reason they have that policy. To prevent employees from getting injured, and it’s blatantly stated when you work for them.
                You can’t defend yourself what kind of policy is that? I could not work there and be put in that situation. It’s sad company policy has come to this. We are at bad times and it will get a lot worse

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                  So anybody know if there are any consequences to walking out with an armful?

I mean maybe every 5th time I go in I out to be able to get an "all I can carry" discount too

It would make up for the increased price I pay to cover what they let go so only fair for me
                  It's still illegal, so just criminal charges if they decide to pursue charges. Of course there's also always the risk of a rogue manager attempting to stop you, in which case you can just physically assault them and cost them their job.

Comment

Loss prevention at academy

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I wish they would look the other way when I need to buy some shotgun shells, last time
                      I was there they ragged me for trying to purchase 1 box 22mag , 2 box 20ga , 2 .308win
                      “” sorry but limits 4 boxes per purchase “ should have just loaded up a cart and boosted

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
                        Why would you hope that and on what grounds? She violated company policy and was terminated for it.

Being sue happy is not the answer.
                        What is the answer ? Hit them in their pocketbook and it might change some stupid policies. That’s all they understand $$$$$

Comment

That Academy Sporting Goods store in Lafayette, LA. is 5 minutes from my house, and I've been their hundreds of times. Most of the time, there is a Lafayette City Police Patrol car parked right in from of the entrance/exit. Thieves are very familiar with the Academy policy. Thugs will stake out the store looking for the police car. If the patrol unit is not on site, 2-3 thieves will load up baskets of clothes and walk right through the exit as the getaway car is waiting just outside. Academy prices are inflated a few % to cover the cost of theft prevention.

Comment

Yep, let the bags of **** In society do what they want when they want and be dammed if you do anything about it. America is quickly becoming everything people from around the world flee. There has to be a change at at some point to where the store manager can pulverized the thief and be respected as a hero in the company.
                            Guess I’ll have to send them an email tomorrow

Comment

What ****** me off the most about these retail thefts is how the rest of us are treated. Walmart has gates you have to enter and exit through. Academy has their check out lines so stupid I hate going in there. They're unlikely to have what I'm looking for anyways.

Local Academy corrals you through a single line then a PA speaker yells a register # for you to go to to check out. It's mad annoying

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                                Local Academy corrals you through a single line then a PA speaker yells a register # for you to go to to check out. It's mad annoying
                                Lol. Uh.. why on earth is this such a trigger for you?

Comment

Working...
                                X