Hedge will get the whole block.

Comment

Originally posted by eastover53 View Post
      Pecan pops when it’s green.

Hackberry will burn the house down.

lol

Comment

You would think a week in Lubbock would be enough to dry it out.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
          You would think a week in Lubbock would be enough to dry it out.
          You would think! It’s been sitting split on a wood rack in nearly full sun since October and aside from a little 2” snow eve had no moisture this fall

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
            You would think! It’s been sitting split on a wood rack in nearly full sun since October and aside from a little 2” snow eve had no moisture this fall
            That ain't near enough for it to dry completely. I bet if you took a piece of it and split it again then checked the new surface with a moisture meter it would be significantly above 20% (absolute maximum moisture content recommended). Get as big a piece as you can and try that. If you don't have a moisture meter, get one! Everyone who burns wood inside their house should have a meter and check it regularly... Just because wood has been cut a while, it doesn't mean it is "dry" and certainly not aged...

A log that has slipped the bark loose is not necessarily dry. It must be split and checked to really determine how dry it is...

Comment

Better get your chimney cleaned if you’ve burnt a bunch of that green wood. It will make a ton of creosote.

Comment

This was gold!

Comment

Hackberry will burn the house down in terms of throwing embers or burning hot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

pecan

Originally posted by GARY View Post
                    1) Little Green - most likely case
                    2) Tree was struck by lightening - my pops and grandpa swear that a lightening struck tree isn't good for fireplace...will burn the whole house down with sparks, pops, if left unattended. - I don' know....maybe this is not old farmer tell....I do know pops isn't fighting me for the wood off a lightening struck oak we have, saying it won't be burned in his fireplace!
                    ^^^^^ this plus if it has been rained on recently it will pop
                    I burn a ton of pecan every year

Comment

I made the mistake of dropping some juniper into a fire pit. It looked and sounded like July 4th.
                      Won't do that again.

Comment

Elm will do the same thing.

Comment

Sounds like "crazy wood" ie. struck by lightning. I have a pecan tree that was struck by lightning many years ago and any limbs from it burned give a light show popping and sparking.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                            Pecan takes a year and a half or better to cure.....

Comment

Originally posted by W-O View Post
                              Sounds like "crazy wood" ie. struck by lightning. I have a pecan tree that was struck by lightning many years ago and any limbs from it burned give a light show popping and sparking.
                              That’s an old wives tale.

Comment

And I would never burn pecan in my house, seasoned oak only...

Comment

Working...
                                X