Venison jerky....errors made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venison jerky....errors made

I over seasoned using likely that same seasoning, and all I got is to keep a beer handy. I dont recall throwing it out, but I know I didnt use 4# of meat for a -5# batch either…. That there is likely to be WAY saltier than my screw up.

In the future, get a meat lug and put one layer of jerky down and season somewhat heavy, put another layer down and season the same, continue until your out of meat. Put in a big bottle of Worcestershire and mix around, then throw into a few ziplocks and into the fridge for 24hrs.

When seasoning, all youre to do is throw it loosely on top. By doing the steps above, when you add the Worcestershire and mix up, youll come out perfect as it helps spread everything around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

CB’s is some of the best jerky seasoning I have tried and is my go to. I do add cure to it for increased shelf life! It is some dang good stuff….got a batch on dehydrator now.

Comment

Sooooooooooo, you didn’t follow the instruction to the tee. Far to much seasoning for that amount of meat, trying to wash it off is your choice, but I don’t think you’ll be happy with it either. Next time, follow the the directions I know because I have done the exact same thing, miss measured all my seasoning to the amount of meat

Comment

That Lem jerky seasoning they sell at Academy is pretty **** good. The small packets are for 5lbs of meat. Which brand of seasoning did you purchase?

Comment

Don’t throw it out. Freeze and use a few pieces at a time to season a pot of beans.

Comment

I have always made my own seasoning for jerky so I cant comment as to the amount of salt it has. my wife's favorite type is dehydrated well and not smoked. I used water, apple cider vinegar, salt, liquid smoke, garlic powder, coarse ground pepper and jalapeno dust.

Comment

Send it all to me I'll take care of it and pay for shipping.

Comment

I was on a lease with 2 guys that worked in a salt mine. Both of them had so much salt in their system they could barely taste it. They brought some homemade jerky once that was nothing but meat rolled in salt.... salt crust must have been 1/32" thick. Reminded me of the sugar crystals on those orange slice candies. They loved it but nobody else could eat it.

Soaking in cold water may help, especially if you press all the juice out of it and resoak a few times.
                  Last edited by Native Texan; 01-09-2022, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                    Sooooooooooo, you didn’t follow the instruction to the tee. Far to much seasoning for that amount of meat, trying to wash it off is your choice, but I don’t think you’ll be happy with it either. Next time, follow the the directions I know because I have done the exact same thing, miss measured all my seasoning to the amount of meat
                    The shaker they provide had holes in it the size of buckshot to pass through....I seasoned some of the meat with the amount I mixed up and ran out and thought- well that didn't go far...this can't be right....haha....

Like I said, hard lesson learned....I honestly didn't realize the amount of meat to seasoning ratio would be as critical as it turned out to be.....I didn't even look into it until after the damage was done....live and learn....

Comment

Originally posted by 8th1 View Post
                      Chop it up and fry it a little bit, then throw some eggs into it. Don't put more salt. Make tacos

Venison machacado! Brilliant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cajun Blake’s jerky seasoning is totally legit. Oh, and taco seasoning, fajita seasoning, seafood boil, and pretty much anything else he sells. That’s being said, maybe try squeezing some lime on the jerky right before you eat it. The acid should help cut the saltiness, I do that with dried beef/machacado we buy down here.

Comment

Nothing but black pepper and Lawry's Season Salt for my jerky---did all of a doe less the 'straps and one large roast which I will try the "corning" as in corned beef treatment on it.

Comment

Working...
                          X