No announcement yet.

What happened to deer hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I being shamed for wanting to shoot big deer?

I can live with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      True but when we die.....those mounts won't make a **** to anybody. Probably end up in a storage unit or dumpster somewhere. I struggle with that every time I send away $700-800 for some wall decoration. Kids and friends will remember us though for their lifetime for taking them hunting with them...

I like shooting for personal "deer goals" although my goals are much smaller and less important than some on here.....but the excitement of friends/kids killing their first deer and the campfires are where its at for me these days. I'll take experiences over inches all day long.
      Well said, but it would be bad *** to have my grandpas or great grandpas deer hanging on the wall with a picture. Something my grandkids will have.I agree better in this life to share the memories
      Last edited by aoudad; 12-07-2021, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Nothing happened to hunting as far as I am concerned! It’s all about choices at any stage Everyone is different! “ you can’t eat the horns “ really cracks me up! At least for now I can remember every deer I have ever Killed , where I was at, the conditions, the Family or people I was blessed to be surrounded with , the groceries we ate, the camaraderie , everyone taking part in growing a deer herd !
        This can all be done with awesome memories and when I look up on my wall every evening my mounts / pics take me right back to those wonderful times! I’m good with people scoring deer and aging them - I take part in it and our Families love it! So I’m certain nothing has changed! It’s whatever You want and what makes you happy. For me it’s the whole kit and caboodle;-)

Comment

I think most forget what it takes to grow big deer. I enjoy trying to make things better than they were when you found it. Making memories on killing young deer isn’t being a good steward of the land. Some of my favorite memories are chasing mature management bucks with friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
            This last year I had 4 of the top five texas trophies hunter deer for our region. Don’t get me wrong, big deer are big deer and that’s what some people are after. There’s nothing wrong with that I just feel like we are out of touch with things. There was a thread a couple weeks ago about MLD ruining deer season. It wasn’t MLD it was us losing focus on what’s important.
            Brother, I feel you are basing the most of this off of a Forum - just don’t get caught up in it!
            Last edited by Bucknaked; 12-07-2021, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
              I can have all that experience and memories without shooting. For the actual deer I’ll continue to have goals
              Nailed it!

Comment

True but when we die.....those mounts won't make a **** to anybody. Probably end up in a storage unit or dumpster somewhere. I struggle with that every time I send away $700-800 for some wall decoration. Kids and friends will remember us though for their lifetime for taking them hunting with them...

I like shooting for personal "deer goals" although my goals are much smaller and less important than some on here.....but the excitement of friends/kids killing their first deer and the campfires are where its at for me these days. I'll take experiences over inches all day long.
                I 100% agree.. It is about the memories!!!

I have a couple of customers that I have done 30-40 pieces for over the years. Their trophy rooms are huge.. A bunch of $$$$$$. I've asked them "what will happen to all of your trophies when you die"?? They get a blank look on their face. It's something no one wants to think about but it won't end well for the mounts most of the time... Sold for pennies on the dollar OR trashed..

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post

I have a couple of customers that I have done 30-40 pieces for over the years. Their trophy rooms are huge.. A bunch of $$$$$$. I've asked them "what will happen to all of your trophies when you die"?? They get a blank look on their face. It's something no one wants to think about but it won't end well for the mounts most of the time... Sold for pennies on the dollar OR trashed..
                  When we die? It won’t matter because we’ll be dead

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                    Yea but....

Comment

My wife, should she outlive me, will have to mess with all of them, especially if she moves into something smaller and easier to take care of, so it will matter .

Comment

My wife, should she outlive me, will have to mess with all of them, especially if she moves into something smaller and easier to take care of, so it will matter .
                        Come on Smart- she’ll make big $$$ off of them when she puts them on EBAY!

Comment

Knew a guy that probably had 100 plus mounts. Even built a trophy room separate to house them. It was awesome. But when he passed, I don’t think his kids wanted anything to do with them. Not sure where the collection ended up but we asked for a few mounts that were killed on our place for the ranch house and never heard from them. Probably in storage, a restaurant or the dump, sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
                            I think most forget what it takes to grow big deer. I enjoy trying to make things better than they were when you found it. Making memories on killing young deer isn’t being a good steward of the land. Some of my favorite memories are chasing mature management bucks with friends.
                            Respectfully, there is a whole lot more taken into consideration when determining whether someone is a good steward to the land other then decisions made on whitetail deer management. I respect your passion, but we’ve got to keep this real.

Comment

Come on Smart- she’ll make big $$$ off of them when she puts them on EBAY!

Sweet so you volunteer? She has never Ebayed in her life.[emoji23][emoji12]

Comment

I could care less what happens to them after I die. We only walk this earth once

Comment

Working...
                                X