Antler's falling off already?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antler's falling off already?

I am sure this has already been brought up. But I have 1 buck at the property that has already dropped one antler. First saw him with only one side about 3 weeks ago and saw him again this weekend.

Saw him at 30 yards and it looks to be smooth and not broken. Anyone else seeing their bucks drop really early?

Yep. I have one that shed dec 23rd. Happens every year

Comment

Weather related

Comment

I wonder if its a function of their birthday? Perhaps does bred early have early births which leads to early shedding of their buck babies?

Comment

Originally posted by Bradical BH View Post
          Weather related
          No...testosterone related. Just like people, some deer run out of T earlier. Older deer are more likely to shed early but I have seen 3 year olds shed in Dec as well after a strong rut.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
            I wonder if its a function of their birthday? Perhaps does bred early have early births which leads to early shedding of their buck babies?
            Nope. All hormones.

Comment

We have a few that have dropped. Some just one side some both. Already found these from one deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Our deer generally don't drop until March

Comment

Injured or sick deer almost always drop early

Comment

Last year I saw 2 year olds dropped before does and spikes wonder how many get shot and what a warden says. I guess it technically is antlerless

Comment

If only one side drops it’s from climate change.

Comment

I figured it was something to do with the weather or something and not health as the deer looked to be in great shape.

Comment

I found one side on the ground to a buck I call Velvet 10 this past Saturday. On the camera he shed on 12/27/2021.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Totally normal. Happens every single year. We usually see one or two around Christmas time that have shed.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                              Totally normal. Happens every single year. We usually see one or two around Christmas time that have shed.

Absolutely. I have posted threads about it several years in the past.

Comment

Working...
                              X