Stranger danger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stranger danger

Yesterday our school sent out an email stating that at 10am some chucklehead was at the fenceline taking pictures of the kids, and the day before some fool (not sure if it was the same person) was in the bushes watching the kids. Coulda been some kids dad, coulda been a pedo...but in this day and time that's a pretty good way to end up nibbling on the grille of my F150.

So at dinner I explain what happened to my kids. Ages 6, 8, and 9. I shook em up pretty good. We talked about not talking to strangers but also that they need to be aware when out in the front yard and to look out for one another. My boys look out for each other and both look out for their younger sister. Best thing to do is to come inside if they aren't sure; or find a teacher. Be on the lookout for people who pass by the house more than once and cars that slow down or roll down their window.

I've also told them that if anyone ever grabs them to bite the **** outta the person. Bite em in the face, poke the eyes, scream STRANGER as loud as possible, and that no amount of violence is wrong if someone is trying to grab them. I don't care if it's some 86 year old grandma with a walker, I'd rather deal with the lawsuit after my kid bit her top lip off and blinded her than the risk of the alternative.

So, obviously it took a while to settle them down for bed. Afterwards, I got to wondering if there is a better way or anything else we need to teach them. So, if y'all have any suggestions I'm all ears. Ears. Oh yeah I told them to bite those too, shake like a dog, and tear em off if they could. Just hold them off until daddy, his dog, and his shotgun could get there to help them.

There are some bad people out there. I was 9 getting ready to show my 4H project at the fair and rodeo when I was followed into the bathroom by a carnie-man. My parents were waiting for me outside of the bathroom. I was in the stall changing clothes when I seen from under the door, someone that was kneeling down holding a large skinning knife. Talk about being scared. I acted like I didn't see him and moved around a bit like I was getting dressed. He started getting anxious/nervous and beat on the wall and told me to hurry up. I told him I was hurrying and was almost done. Then I heard a couple of guys come in to the bathroom and he jumped up, put away his knife and took off. I flung the door open, about hit the guy, stopped and looked at him, and took off outta there. I told my parents what had happened and pointed the guy out. We found a deputy working the arena and told him what happened and they said that they would "keep an eye out". It hurt when they blew it off.

Comment

Awareness is key. I live in a small community, the kind where folks still leave their doors unlocked etc. I think that lulls folks to a false comfort at times. I try to impress upon him that there are bad people who want to harm children.

To drive that home we had a teenage girl that was nearly taken last summer in the middle of the afternoon.

But I know when he is playing with his friends he's not aware of his surroundings.

Good job on teaching sensory system incapacitation attack techniques. It might save his life.

The situation at your kids school sounds like a predator and the same one. Scary

Comment

Warn them about strangers asking if they have seen a lost puppy. Was at a playground and heard someone drive up and ask a kid that who was close to the street. Wasn't my kid but I was closest to the street of the adults there and made sure I started moving that direction and he saw me and left quickly. I was able to get his license plate and called it in.

I would also warn of strangers offering anything like candy, etc as well.
        Last edited by BigL; 04-08-2016, 09:13 AM.

Comment

This is why me and my kids take Ju-Jitsu!

Comment

I dont have kids but it seems this sora thing is on the rise, there was a report of someone grabbing a little girl and trying to get her to their car last week at an elementary. They pushed and shoved him away just enough to get the indvidual to leave her alone. At the school parking lot i believe. Keep teaching your kids to be on the look out for strangers.

Comment

My question to the OP's original statement is why weren't the police called and the person questioned etc....In Burnet where my daughter goes to school, anything that is suspicious is investigated.

Comment

Sometimes the harsh reality and a little shake up is what really gets the kids attention. I think some things can't be sugar coated and downsized for the kids to hear. Your explanation was good, because it got their attention and caused them to think. You know your kids best. I say "good job Dad"!

Comment

IMHO.......
                  These things, seem to be more frequent.........
                  Because,our so called justice system, doesn't deal with them, the way I would.......
                  Anyone,who would hurt a child,deserves,a short rope and a tall tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                    Awareness is key. I live in a small community, the kind where folks still leave their doors unlocked etc. I think that lulls folks to a false comfort at times. I try to impress upon him that there are bad people who want to harm children.

To drive that home we had a teenage girl that was nearly taken last summer in the middle of the afternoon.

But I know when he is playing with his friends he's not aware of his surroundings.

Good job on teaching sensory system incapacitation attack techniques. It might save his life.

The situation at your kids school sounds like a predator and the same one. Scary
                    Have people google Texas sex offenders and use the Texas state website to run offenders by zip code.

That is only the "known" offenders that have been caught, convicted and are out. Triple that (at least) for the ones that have not yet been caught and it is an eye opener. I doubt there is anyone that is living in any community that is more than 3 blocks from a sex offender. Toss in other types of crimes and it make tend to take away some of that security feeling.

... or maybe it won't. Every time we see some big event on the news, there is a neighbor saying, "I didn't think that would ever happen here".

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                      IMHO.......
                      These things, seem to be more frequent.........
                      Because,our so called justice system, doesn't deal with them, the way I would.......
                      Anyone,who would hurt a child,deserves,a short rope and a tall tree.
                      Yep. Stand them under a tree, pull the rope around their neck tight, and lop there legs off at the knees. That's my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianhuff View Post
                        This is why me and my kids take Ju-Jitsu!
                        Mine too, but when a predator intent on harm is the attacker BJJ only works in principle. I didn't trust my son to be able to maneuver a grown man's center of gravity or choke/submit an adult. Certainly he gains some skills such as stabilizing his base, escaping holds and some attacks. But ultimately attacking sensory organs to partially incapacitate an attacker is what will provide an attempt to get to safety.

Any martial art is a good base, but they are all limited to the fact that they are taught within the confines of "rules". Even MMA has something 50 rules that forbid certain holds and strikes. In a real life attack, rules go out the window. Kill or be killed

Comment

Few months ago, my 8 year old came home from school saying they had a little training about escaping someone trying to grab them. Apparently they were shown things such as stepping on their foot or poking at their eyes but only enough to hurt them, not cause injury. They did atleast tell them that number one was scream loud as they could.

This did not set well with me at all!! Told him that's fine for bully's or little skirmishes on playground but if it's a stranger trying to take him, I want his fingers in their eyes looking for the back of their skull. I want him screaming, scratching, biting, kicking in the **** and whatever it takes to get away. That's when he told me the LEO lady there said they shouldn't kick someone in the groin. I was shocked. Immediately placed a call to a local LEO friend that works with her. He didn't like hearing my son say that either. He took it to his supervisor. Sounded like She was going to get some instruction in giving better advice. I hope!

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                            My question to the OP's original statement is why weren't the police called and the person questioned etc....In Burnet where my daughter goes to school, anything that is suspicious is investigated.

Police were called but the person had already left the area. A description of the man was included with the email from the school. White male, mid 30's, long hair, type of clothing. Coulda been a kid's dad, coulda been someone bad. Minivan mom patrol was out in force this morning!

Comment

I taught my kids about stranger danger similar to you. Now any time my daughter thinks I'm annoying her she screams stranger danger.

Comment

Working...
                              X