Brand New Bow Hunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dextera Frugis View Post
    Entered the lottery for the deer permit around Lake Grapevine as a way to get into bow hunting and got one. I have a lot of hunting experience none of it with a bow. Bought a tree stand and have used it a few times scouting the area. What would be the 3-4 most important tips you would give a new hunter?

Thanks
    1 Practice with good form
    2 Understand how body position affects arrow flight from an elevated platform
    3 Know your quarry
    4 Be willing to sit all day or most of the day, at least past noon.

Comment

Some good points already mentioned, but I'll add the following...

1. Be certain that your broadheads are RAZOR SHARP. A broadhead is not a bullet and kills by cutting blood vessels, not by shock or tissue destruction. If they won't shave hair they won't kill quickly and should not be used on an animal. (I prefer a cut on contact fixed blade and will not use mechanical heads).

2. The ONLY shot you want to take is a broadside heart/lung shot. No head, neck, or facing straight on shots! Slightly quartering away is a good shot, but a quartering to shot is a risky one. Arrows can do strange things when hitting rib bones at a sharp angle. You want the exit hole to be low or you may have a very spotty bloodtrail.

3. NEVER release an arrow at a deer that is looking at you. They will move before the arrow gets there every time.

4. After you hit an animal, remain in the stand at least 30 minutes before getting down. The deer may be lay down close by, and jumping him up before he can bleed out usually results in a deer that will run until he dies...and a very poor bloodtrail. Find the arrow first...it will give you clues about where you hit.

5. LIMIT YOUR SHOTS TO 25 YARDS or less. While you may be able to hit quarters at 50 yards, a deer WILL react to the shot and may move enough to result in a bad hit and a wounded animal.

6. BE PATIENT and WAIT FOR THE PERFECT SHOT. It's easy to become overanxious when you have an animal within range. Better to pass up a marginal shot than to wound or lose an animal.

7. Practice from the stand and in the clothes you plan to hunt in. Be sure your clothes don't make any noise that could put a deer on alert, or catch the string when you release.

8. Place markers like small pieces or surveyor tape at 10 yard increments around your stand. It will help you accurately judge distance quickly when the adrenaline starts pumping.

Comment

All the above suggestions are true. I would also tell you to Find a place to hunt hogs, they are abundant and you can hunt them year round. They are excellent practice target for many reasons. Good luck and have fun

Comment

welcome!

Comment

Come see me at the shop to check form, fit and some quick lessons.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post

My oldest boy is taking lessons from Maria. He’s really enjoying it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thermacell is a must in Sept.

Hogs are great practice. and good on the table.

Pay attention to deer and learn when it is ok to draw. you will find that a lone buck might be much easier to kill than one of six does(12 eyes).

Once you decide to kill a buck don't look at his horns anymore. Pick a small target and focus on it through the arrow strike. Most misses are due to dropping the bow and jerking the head up to see what happens(the same reason most folks can't hit a golf ball)

Enjoy. Let us know what you think after that first deer walks by you at a few yards and swear that he can hear your heart beating. It is one of the biggest rushes ever.

Comment

The Official Texas bowhunter safety course for your hunting license. Learn online on any device and print your bowhunting certificate. Study for FREE!

Comment

Practice,practice and more practice. PICK A SPOT and keep your eye on it as you shoot. Aim small, miss small. Don't make the mistake of shooting at the entire deer. Aim 2" above the white belly, no more. They are amazingly quick critters and can get out of an arrows way before you ca.n blink your eye.
                    Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                      Take this man’s advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
                        Take this man’s advice.
                        He is a legend!

Comment

Working...
                        X