Brand New Bow Hunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brand New Bow Hunter

Entered the lottery for the deer permit around Lake Grapevine as a way to get into bow hunting and got one. I have a lot of hunting experience none of it with a bow. Bought a tree stand and have used it a few times scouting the area. What would be the 3-4 most important tips you would give a new hunter?

Thanks

Practice

Comment

Lots of practice, try shooting from your tree stand too. That's how I got into bow hunting, I applied for a permit at Lake Georgetown and got drawn. Had to go to the local archery range and get qualified. Opening Morning I shot a mature doe. Hardest part was getting her to my truck thought I was going to die carting her out over a mile. Good Luck!

Comment

Spend more time learning areas to set up for 20 yard shots. It’s a completely different skill set. Work on approach and exits, and spots that give you a slight advantage. These will help you far more than shooting your bow in the yard. Still practice that, but don’t place so much emphasis on that part. That’s a mistake I made and didn’t even get to draw back on anything my first two years.

Comment

Buy a couple Thermacells.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
            Spend more time learning areas to set up for 20 yard shots. It’s a completely different skill set. Work on approach and exits, and spots that give you a slight advantage. These will help you far more than shooting your bow in the yard. Still practice that, but don’t place so much emphasis on that part. That’s a mistake I made and didn’t even get to draw back on anything my first two years.
            Agreed. If you can scout and get a good idea where they may go from bedding to feed/water and find a pinch point to hunt you probably have a good chance with a good wind. Ive never been there so im not sure what its like

Comment

shoot your broadheads into a target and see where the hit

Comment

do those actually work?

Comment

Originally posted by Dextera Frugis View Post
                  do those actually work?
                  Thermacells?

Comment

Originally posted by MillsJake View Post
                    Thermacells?
                    yes thermacells?

Comment

Stay off your phone while hunting

Comment

Originally posted by Dextera Frugis View Post
                        yes thermacells?
                        Yes they work. I use them when hunting in East Texas and it makes a big difference. I always have one in my hunting pack

Comment

practice. It is not a part time hobby. Accurately shooting your bow consistently takes practice, practice, practice.

Comment

Originally posted by MillsJake View Post
                            Thermacells?

The single best piece of hunting equipment I have ever purchased in the last 10 years!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Worley View Post
                              The single best piece of hunting equipment I have ever purchased in the last 10 years!
                              Agreed. I dont hunt without one in my pack. Never know when a swarm of west nile warriors are going to attack lol

Comment

Working...
                              X