No announcement yet.

Electrical and water line in Trench question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn’t even use conduit, I’d use UF and save the money and hassle. Lay the wire in the same trench and get it done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
      For the record...I was in construction for 35 years. Conduit is always referred to as a electrical pipe.
      But it say so the de dictionary!

Comment

I had just done this. My requirement from elec co. was a 2-1/2" conduit 30" deep. I ran water in the same trench 12" above electrical conduit.

Comment

When you start to cover these...put 6 or so inches of dirt in, the lay yellow caution or red danger tape/robin in the trench. So if you later on, or someone else digs the tape I will be seen first

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
            When you start to cover these...put 6 or so inches of dirt in, the lay yellow caution or red danger tape/robin in the trench. So if you later on, or someone else digs the tape I will be seen first
            That's a good idea....I built my house and shop and even I cant exactly remember how everything ran after a few years

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
              But it say so the de dictionary!
              Yes sir brother I totally agree, that is what the book says.
              But you sound like a green horn saying it. That is all I'm saying.

Comment

I ran electrical from the pole to my house, and water from the well to the house. Well and electrical pole were close to each other, so they ran in the same trench 90% of the way to the house. The electrical from pole to house was 200 amps, so we buried it about 5' deep in a 4" pvc. Filled back about 18" then ran water, then filled in trench

Comment

this is Websters definition.

Definition of conduit
                  1 : a natural or artificial channel through which something (such as a fluid) is conveyed
                  a conduit for rainwater
                  2 : a pipe, tube, or tile for protecting electric wires or cables
                  3 : a means of transmitting or distributing

There is a difference between channel and pipe/tube.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                    I hope your not running the water line out of conduit.
                    LoL why run 2 lines just run wire in the water line..

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                      Yes sir brother I totally agree, that is what the book says.

But you sound like a green horn saying it. That is all I'm saying.
                      For sure... I was kidding.

My BIL wanted to sound like he knew what he was talking about when he went to the electrical supply house and asked for “four aug” wire for his RV service. What he needed was No. 4 AWG (he pronounced the AWG) and what he got was 0000. We had a heck of a time wresting that stuff into a 30A receptacle box!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
                        this is Websters definition.

Definition of conduit
                        1 : a natural or artificial channel through which something (such as a fluid) is conveyed
                        a conduit for rainwater
                        2 : a pipe, tube, or tile for protecting electric wires or cables
                        3 : a means of transmitting or distributing

There is a difference between channel and pipe/tube.
                        Ask a plumber to come put in conduit for you and he’ll tell you to call an electrician.

Comment

Originally posted by gusman View Post
                          LoL why run 2 lines just run wire in the water line..
                          Yep, just size up the electrical pipe for the water pressure. No need for a water conduit!

Comment

Even though it’s just a gravel driveway it’s pretty cheap to sleeve them with a larger size pvc pipe. This will protect the pipe/conduit as well as simplify replacement. Definitely sleeve it if it was concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                              Lol....conduit is for wires! Water conduit is something I expect to hear at Home Depot!

That's almost as stupid as a hose pipe!

I buried my water and elect 36" deep in the same hole. That trencher dont care!

What’s hose pipe?.....Poly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                                For sure... I was kidding.

My BIL wanted to sound like he knew what he was talking about when he went to the electrical supply house and asked for “four aug” wire for his RV service. What he needed was No. 4 AWG (he pronounced the AWG) and what he got was 0000. We had a heck of a time wresting that stuff into a 30A receptacle box!!
                                That is funny 😁. Big price difference.
                                The 0000 designation is actually pronounced like aught...yup like thirty aught six.
                                You would be asking for 4 aught wire. AWG stands for american wire gauge😉.

Comment

Working...
                                X