No announcement yet.

Need advice on changing my lease to MLDP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like I can't apply for it on the website until May 1st. I have to collect lease dues by March 1st. Kind of sucks. I guess I will tell my members of my intentions to apply and they can decide what they want to do.

Comment

I also read under the Harvest Option that the normal Archery season dates only allows rifles for doe and unbranched antlered deer, not trophy bucks. I guess that won't be so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        Looks like I can't apply for it on the website until May 1st. I have to collect lease dues by March 1st. Kind of sucks. I guess I will tell my members of my intentions to apply and they can decide what they want to do.
        When we were thinking about this we discussed the pros and cons in a group setting and took a vote, with a caveat that we would revisit it after one year. This approach may work on your property.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

AC, if you are that conflicted about it, talk it over with the lease members. When you do something like this there will be a percentage that will push back.

Comment

Well I applied for Harvest Option of does only. I was only given 13 tags. We usually kill 18 per season. With 27 members I don't see 13 tags being enough. I'm gonna see if I can still apply for the Conservation option with a biologist. Hopefully that will allow more doe tags.

Comment

Your best option (if feasible) with MLD is to increase cost per member so you can have fewer members. The East Texas lease I am currently on has 28 members and is almost 8,000 acres. That is almost 300 acres per member. We have been MLD3 for many years and do not get enough tags for every one to kill multiple deer each year. Most of the members are dedicated to killing big deer and the majority of our bucks are 135 or larger. We also have not used all of our tags any of the past 4 years. It takes lots of patience and like minded members to make MLD work. One thing that helps is most of the members are able to get deer by hunting other properties to fill the freezers.

Comment

That's a hard sell to tell people the price is going up and the allotment is going down. I have several TBH'ers on here with me, and I want to do what's best for all my members. I also want to grow big deer. It's stressing me out

Comment

Can anyone tell me if I go the Conservation Option can it be for doe only or do I have to be all in with what the biologists recommends for bucks and does?

Comment

AC, for what its worth, we decided to exit the MLD program. I was conflicted about the decision, but it is what it is.

The reason we stopped was because of hunter participation. Only a couple of hunters hunted after Thanksgiving leaving unused tags every season. I can understand the reasoning.

There was a couple more factors that assisted in the process of decision. Back to them good old general season tags.

Comment

I may be leaning towards this as well.

Comment

I have been involved in the MLD program for going on 15 years. On a lease with 8 members we would get 10 doe tags and 4 "trophy" buck tags. We had unlimited "cull" buck tags. If we shot a buck that met the definition of a cull we sent a picture to the Biologist and he sent another buck tag to replace the one we used. All of our tags were kept at a central location so that every member had access to them at all times. We kept track of jaw bones and weighed every deer as live weight and field dressed. All the information was kept in our log-book at camp.

As for shooting your does late...I personally would rather shoot them pre-rut. You will usually have 1 or 2 bucks with good genetics that will breed a doe or two when the rut hits. If you shoot your doe post-rut you could kill the doe your "good" buck bred. I also don't like field dressing a doe and finding 2 or 3 fully developed fawns in her which happens a lot on the MLD program when you start shooting them in January-February.

It's a great program that took our place up a notch as far as deer quality. Just have to be willing to put in the work.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          Well I applied for Harvest Option of does only. I was only given 13 tags. We usually kill 18 per season. With 27 members I don't see 13 tags being enough. I'm gonna see if I can still apply for the Conservation option with a biologist. Hopefully that will allow more doe tags.
                          That is a tough situation with half the membership not even getting a doe.

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
                            That is a tough situation with half the membership not even getting a doe.
                            I agree, and will cancel my Harvest Option. I'm hoping someone that has experience with both can tell me if the Conservation Option will provide more tags.

If not I'd rather keep doing it the way we have. At least our hunters will have a chance at two does each. We will just not have the longer season.

Comment

Conservation option requires deer counts. They base the tag quantity off of deer/acre versus goals in that area. The conservation option requires a significant amount of work and you'll likely be disappointed.

Conservation = tags based on your lands deer numbers
                              Harvest = tags based on estimated deer numbers in that part of the county

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X