No announcement yet.

Need advice on changing my lease to MLDP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We still have a couple of gun hunters but most of us bow. About 70- 30. It's hard if you are hunting a big deer with a rifle 500 yds away.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

If you offer buck tags as first come first serve and there is only a couple to spread out, expect your woods to be shot up in october

Comment

Might be worth at least talking to the biologist for your area before making a final decision. You have plenty of time to gather needed data and put in any work that may be required.

Comment

Originally posted by Mbbriggs05 View Post
          Might be worth at least talking to the biologist for your area before making a final decision. You have plenty of time to gather needed data and put in any work that may be required.
          You would think.

Comment

It just depends on how many Hunters you have and how far along you are in the process. Not everybody gets a trophy. The truth is you probably have only 4 trophies on your lease. I don't know your criteria for a trophy but ours is 6 years and older 9 Porter . Not talkin post mature

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              I may just go for the Harvest Option for buck and doe. Those numbers will probably work. I don't think we need to kill that many does however. I'm thinking I can make rules that will not allow rifles during bow season. I want to protect bowhunters. Also maybe not allow unbranched antler bucks until after Thanksgiving. This should give everyone an opportunity at a trophy deer, and allow a hunter to pass on a doe during the rut if he chooses. What do y'all think?
              Early season gun hunting never bothered us, it was liked by those that do not archery hunt.

Why go Harvest Buck, doesnt give you more tags or longer season, can only create drama or change hunters tendencies. Also it goes against your rifle during archery issue, or at least makes it an option.
              Harvest Doe gives you longer season, rifle hunters can only fire once during archery season and their doe tag is gone, unless they get more tags. Most hunters prefer to wait until late November or December anyway for does.

I've been involved with it a long while and have my opinions, but id like to hear other thoughts on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
                Early season gun hunting never bothered us, it was liked by those that do not archery hunt.

Why go Harvest Buck, doesnt give you more tags or longer season, can only create drama or change hunters tendencies. Also it goes against your rifle during archery issue, or at least makes it an option.
                Harvest Doe gives you longer season, rifle hunters can only fire once during archery season and their doe tag is gone, unless they get more tags. Most hunters prefer to wait until late November or December anyway for does.

I've been involved with it a long while and have my opinions, but id like to hear other thoughts on this.
                Valid points. I'm still in the process of deciding what to do. Our memberships are renewed March 1st. So I want to let members know our plan going into next season before they pay.

Comment

Harvest Option buck tags do give you a longer season. But, not with a rifle during archery season.

If you get buck tags under Harvest option, archery season for bucks is still archery only. The rifle season then becomes the first Saturday in November through the last day of February.

Comment

I used the Harvest option tag estimator on the website.

It's saying I will have 7 buck tags and 15 antlerless tags for my place.

The 7 bucks would be a hard sell to my members. The doe tags shouldn't be an issue. I guess I could do doe only this first year, and start filling out Harvest logs this season.
                    Curious to see how this goes for you. I am guessing at 800/gun on 4000 acres you have somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-40 members. Seems like it would be a hard sell and may actually cause more small deer to be shot early in fear that they won't have a tag if they hold out for a larger deer.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                      Curious to see how this goes for you. I am guessing at 800/gun on 4000 acres you have somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-40 members. Seems like it would be a hard sell and may actually cause more small deer to be shot early in fear that they won't have a tag if they hold out for a larger deer.

27 members. Yes that's a concern. One reason why I was considering doing Doe permits only. It will still allow people to shoot their bucks as always, but they won't be in a big rush to kill does before Thanksgiving weekend ends. Another option is raising membership costs and having less hunters. I'm just not sure. Would love to hear from more places that do this.

Comment

It doesn’t really sound like your “needs/wants” really compliment what the program was designed for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pm sent

Comment

27 members. Yes that's a concern. One reason why I was considering doing Doe permits only. It will still allow people to shoot their bucks as always, but they won't be in a big rush to kill does before Thanksgiving weekend ends. Another option is raising membership costs and having less hunters. I'm just not sure. Would love to hear from more places that do this.
                            We went with the harvest option for does only, but even though we can legally shoot them into February we decided to end our season on them at the end of youth season. Even then there is a risk of inexperienced hunters shooting bucks that have dropped antlers. Had that happen a few years ago with two 3-4 year old bucks.
                            For the health of the herd it is better to take does early (unless they have young fawns). Most of our hunters pass them up until the second week of November hoping they will draw in bucks as you suggested.
                            We didn't go with the buck tags because it would encourage shooting of legal but young bucks by hunters who wanted to be sure they got one before all the tags were gone.
                            It seems to be working well for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                              We went with the harvest option for does only, but even though we can legally shoot them into February we decided to end our season on them at the end of youth season. Even then there is a risk of inexperienced hunters shooting bucks that have dropped antlers. Had that happen a few years ago with two 3-4 year old bucks.
                              For the health of the herd it is better to take does early (unless they have young fawns). Most of our hunters pass them up until the second week of November hoping they will draw in bucks as you suggested.
                              We didn't go with the buck tags because it would encourage shooting of legal but young bucks by hunters who wanted to be sure they got one before all the tags were gone.
                              It seems to be working well for us.

Thanks for posting this

Comment

Originally posted by jaspermac View Post
                                If you offer buck tags as first come first serve and there is only a couple to spread out, expect your woods to be shot up in october
                                Not necessarily. Laying down a criteria for bucks taken will eliminate that. One thing you could do is award buck tags to those that take a doe first.

We have a first come first serve policy. That encourages guys to hunt and procrastinate.

Comment

Working...
                                X