No announcement yet.

Powderhorn Live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m in late. Looks like a heck of a stag. Good luck fellas!

Comment

Mighty quiet... too quiet... Hope they're out roundin' up dead animals and just too busy to post up!!

Comment

Apologies for the lack of updates so far. We hit the floor running at 4:30 this morning. Threw together a quick breakfast of scrambled eggs with diced sambar tenderloin along with some bacon. Then jumped into our hunting clothes and rain out the door. We made it to our compartment shortly before shooting light and after a little strategizing, we took off our separate directions. I started my morning off with a 4 mile hike checking water holes and the marshes bordering our unit. So far I have only seen a whitetail, and a sambar hind with her baby. It's still early though. We do have a good looking WT buck on one of our cell cameras.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Fargus, how long is this hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            Fargus, how long is this hunt?
            Ends tomorrow at 11AM

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
              Apologies for the lack of updates so far. We hit the floor running at 4:30 this morning. Threw together a quick breakfast of scrambled eggs with diced sambar tenderloin along with some bacon. Then jumped into our hunting clothes and rain out the door. We made it to our compartment shortly before shooting light and after a little strategizing, we took off our separate directions. I started my morning off with a 4 mile hike checking water holes and the marshes bordering our unit. So far I have only seen a whitetail, and a sambar hind with her baby. It's still early though. We do have a good looking WT buck on one of our cell cameras.

I bet you wish you were in that stand this morning. Yep, gonna apply next year and standby every chance I get since I'll be 45 minutes away. Good luck.

Comment

Like fargus said, slow morning. Seen a couple of cows and a fawn. Real nice 10 that just wasn't wide enough.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Best of luck the rest of the way.

Comment

Heck of a Sambar! Wow! Congrats!

Comment

The junior Harrell is on the board with a WT doe. He'll be along shortly with pics and the story I am sure. She was off the beaten path a bit so he called in for some back from the staff.

Comment

First things first. More than luck, if it weren’t for the guys I share a fire with, that Sambar wouldn’t have been in my hands. Not only did I have to Google Sambar Deer, I had to Google Powderhorn WMA. These guys started including me in the draw a long time ago and I didn’t really fully understand what we were doing. The only thing I figured correctly was that someday we MIGHT get lucky and I could figure it out from there.

On this hunt we guessed that covering as much ground as possible seemed like a good enough strategy. I had Fargus’ SxS so I would walk up the roads several hundred yards and glass around then double back to the buggy, move up some more and repeat. I wanted to take it slow enough that I only covered my intended ground once so that I wasn’t disturbing anyone else. You know, be loud as quietly as possible. The rest isn’t too much of a story. On one leg of my “move up the buggy” method I looked up and saw an enormous body with a tall set of head gear and knew I had to shoot. He was there just looking at me as I rounded the corner. Quartering hard to me I put the crosshairs on his forward shoulder and whammy.
                        Lucky? Heck yes!! Blessed? Absolutely!!!
                        Absolutely awesome experience and it’s been really cool seeing everyone following along and reading the comments. I can’t wait to see how the rest of the hunt plays out.
                        Harrell is cleaning his WT now and I’m fingers crossed that I hear Fargus drop the hammer this afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gwellstx View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Congratulations, that thing is big!

Comment

I have a hind and a calf here at 100yds. If she doesn't vámonos in the next 20min, the .338 is gonna bark. We have until 11AM tomorrow and the morning hunts are slow

Comment

Comment

Sambar hind in cooler is better than a sambar stag in the brush....jk. Honestly, I’d have my heart set on a sambar stag or axis buck if I were there. Good luck, hope a monster shows up for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X