Lake Dunlap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
    I don't guide for a living so the drought didn't effect me. Who did effect was several lake communities that lost their water to their homes because of the low levels. Business went out of business due to drought. Rice farming only exist because of Government subsidies.
    The solution to the lake level issues was thrown out the window YEARS ago when a certain group of people decided it was a good idea to build 100's and 100's of thousands of houses up in and throughout the hills that surround these lakes and allowing these 100's and 100's of thousands of homes to suck the lakes dry.. AND they just keep building.. SMDH!!!!
    The last drought didn't teach them anything...The blatant lack of concern for such a important natural resource is astounding...
    The problem is not farming or farmers.. The main problem and only problem is greed..

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

About 7 or 8 years ago I was at a July 4th party on Lake Granbury, which was about 12 foot low....which is pretty severe as it stays within a few feet of normal pool most of the time. People there were CONVINCED that it was so low because they were letting water out to keep Lake Whitney (downstream) boat ramps useable, and that Possum Kingdom (upstream) wasn't letting any water out so they could use their boat lifts. After a day I left Granbury and went to another party at Possum Kingdom, and you aint gonna believe this, but it was 14' low as well and the owners of that lake house were CONVINCED that BRA was letting water out of PK to keep Granbury and Whitney full.....argued with me about it for an hour, after I had literally been IN LAKE GRANBURY that very day.

I have developed a theory that when it doesn't rain for long enough, that lakes get lower and lower....until it rains enough to fill them up. I also believe that when it rains a whole **** ton...they can flood!

I have also noticed that lake house owners common sense level drops with the water, and then begins to drop again as the water gets substantially higher than normal.

Logic not allowed here.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
        The solution to the lake level issues was thrown out the window YEARS ago when a certain group of people decided it was a good idea to build 100's and 100's of thousands of houses up in and throughout the hills that surround these lakes and allowing these 100's and 100's of thousands of homes to suck the lakes dry.. AND they just keep building.. SMDH!!!!
        The last drought didn't teach them anything...The blatant lack of concern for such a important natural resource is astounding...
        The problem is not farming or farmers.. The main problem and only problem is greed..

I agree with this as well. Burnet and Llano counties have started trying to be proactive on new Sub divisions and how many homes can be supported by groundwater. But greed has a lot to do with it on both sides.

Comment

Lake Dunlap

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
          I agree with this as well. Burnet and Llano counties have started trying to be proactive on new Sub divisions and how many homes can be supported by groundwater. But greed has a lot to do with it on both sides.

It's amazing that some turn this into something as complexed as "Rocket science" when actually it simple common sense..

Water supplies should be managed in the exact same way as bank accounts are.. Don't spend more than you make(demand greater than supply)and always save for the slow downs(droughts)..
          Eventually someone is going to have to say enough is enough.. The development can't keep going like it is around these lakes..
          Farmers are life sustaining.. Fancy houses with big fancy swimming pools are not..
          The priorities are all screwed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RLB View Post
            The BILLIONAIRE who owns/owned RackSpace lives on Lake Dunlap.....it will get fixed quick. He owns several hundred acres along the shore line.
            Who is that? Do you mean the CEO? I believe Rackspace is owned by a private equity company.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
              Who is that? Do you mean the CEO? I believe Rackspace is owned by a private equity company.
              Graham Weston (not sure on spelling) is who he is referring to. Not sure of his position now, but he started the company.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

About 7 or 8 years ago I was at a July 4th party on Lake Granbury, which was about 12 foot low....which is pretty severe as it stays within a few feet of normal pool most of the time. People there were CONVINCED that it was so low because they were letting water out to keep Lake Whitney (downstream) boat ramps useable, and that Possum Kingdom (upstream) wasn't letting any water out so they could use their boat lifts. After a day I left Granbury and went to another party at Possum Kingdom, and you aint gonna believe this, but it was 14' low as well and the owners of that lake house were CONVINCED that BRA was letting water out of PK to keep Granbury and Whitney full.....argued with me about it for an hour, after I had literally been IN LAKE GRANBURY that very day.

I have developed a theory that when it doesn't rain for long enough, that lakes get lower and lower....until it rains enough to fill them up. I also believe that when it rains a whole **** ton...they can flood!

I have also noticed that lake house owners common sense level drops with the water, and then begins to drop again as the water gets substantially higher than normal.
                Originally posted by jerp View Post
                People tend to overthink it and water control is ripe for conspiracy theories but I think Dale's simple explanation is correct. A friend with a place on Granbury told me of a meeting property owners had with the BRA during the worst of the drought. All these folks arrived with their torches and pitchforks to make their demands and fling accusations. He said the BRA guy started the meeting by saying they can gripe all they want but the Authority will never make a water-flow decision based on recreation or property values. He was very dismissive of their concerns. Some seem to think the job of the BRA/COE, etc is to make sure property owners have water under their docks but that is not even on the list of priorities.
                My fishing bud owns a lake lot on Granbury and his explanation during the previous draught was keeping the constant level lake in Waco full.
                This may or may not fall under recreation or property values.
                But Waco is full of old money.

Hope Dunlap gets fixed, it had the best Lilly pads in Central Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                  Graham Weston (not sure on spelling) is who he is referring to. Not sure of his position now, but he started the company.
                  Fake news. He gave $1M to three Trinity graduates. They started the company.

Comment

Originally posted by txbonecollector View Post
                    Look up photos of Lake Wood in Gonzales, TX where they experienced the same dam/gate failure 3YRS ago... Trees, Weeds, Grass all now fill the area where we once enjoyed skiing, fishing and boating. This is GBRA also... No money, No fix, no worries... Feel bad for the lake front property owners.
                    I did not know that's what happened to that lake. We were just looking at property over there, this past summer. We saw that the lake had mostly dried up and gone back to being just a river. We assumed it was a result of a drought or reduced flow up stream, most likely Canyon Lake.

Comment

Just heard that the Appropriations Committee did not approve any funding to repair the dam.

Jane Nelson, Chair of the committee, turned it down. (or so I was told)
                      Last edited by 220swift; 05-24-2019, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 220swift View Post
                        Just heard that the Appropriations Committee did not approve any funding to repair the dam.

Jane Nelson, Chair of the committee, turned it down.
                        Wait! What? Some all but guaranteed it would be rebuilt in 2 to 3 year as big money owned property on that lake. 10% chance at best that **** is ever rebuilt.

Comment

I personally think it will get rebuilt. I never thought that the state would help.

Comment

Originally posted by 220swift View Post

Jane Nelson, Chair of the committee, turned it down. (or so I was told)
                            Dang

Comment

Dang that’s sucks. From lake front to river access property

Comment

Well, if this whole mess weren't bad enough, turns out it's a little worse than, that previously known.

Today TPW released a list of four new lakes that are infested or contaminated with zebra mussels. Guess which lake is on that list?

I don't know how TPW can claim that only Dunlap had zebra mussels, not much of anything keeping them from going down stream, before the dam failed. If they were in Dunlap, they were in every body of water down stream of Dunlap before the dam failed. Now, likely there are a lot of them down stream of Dunlap.

Something else to gossip about.

Comment

Working...
                                X