Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official 2019 TBH APR Special Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by keatonskidmore View Post
    Yeah I might see about seeing if I can change to 24”. I have a buddy with a 18” and it’s not losing too much speed. I’d think with 22” I could lean on it and squeeze out 3350-3400 with 75s.
    Like you, I’ll be using it mainly for predator hunting and occasionally deer and hogs.
    I’ve got a 26” and 23” the 23” is a bartlein 1.7/7 twist that was salt bath nitrided and it shoots the 80.5 Berger’s at 3120 and super accurate at 1.2” 250yds weighs 12.5lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Txarrowhunter View Post
      I’ve got a 26” and 23” the 23” is a bartlein 1.7/7 twist that was salt bath nitrided and it shoots the 80.5 Berger’s at 3120 and super accurate at 1.2” 250yds weighs 12.5lbs

What powder you shooting? Is that a mild load or near max?

Comment

Originally posted by keatonskidmore View Post
        What powder you shooting? Is that a mild load or near max?
        I’m using h4350 on that one and it’s edging on semi flat primers. I also use varget with great results in the 23”.

Comment

Scope ring question. I'm going with the tier 2 build. I am going to be removing the rail off the APR action and using Talley Lightweight one piece rings. I am going with a Leupold VX6HD 3-18 x 50 what height rings do I need?

Comment

Any of you guys roll with the 257 Weatherby? It looks like an order quantity of at least 5 barrels is required. Still waffling between the 257, 6.5 PRC, or maybe the 280AI or even the 270 WBY. Mule deer / Whitetail / Antelope.

Ah, decisions decisions. Will be running a Swaro Z5 3-18.

WOO HOO!!!

Comment

I was able to stop in last Tuesday on my way to a job in Wichita Falls and put my order in.I was there about 30 min and the phones where still blowing up with TBH orders.
              Tier 1 280ai with 24" barrel,a manners tan/brown sponge with a little black ambush.
              Midnight Bronze action and radial break.Every one there knows their stuff about these rifles.Spent a few min talking with the paint guy,a very sharp young man.I have never ordered a custom rifle and left there very impressed with the staff and products they offer.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                Scope ring question. I'm going with the tier 2 build. I am going to be removing the rail off the APR action and using Talley Lightweight one piece rings. I am going with a Leupold VX6HD 3-18 x 50 what height rings do I need?
                I hate these questions. I always start with Lows BUT, I would call Talley, tell him you has a Proof Research barrel, go on Proof's website, get the muzzle diameter, probably something like .930. Give this number to Talley with scope dimension (50mm Obj)

He will tell you. The "rule of thumb" is to get the scope as close to the barrel without touching.
                This being said, he will ask you if you are using any type of Len's cover, this, can make a big difference in your choice.

I might have a brand new set of Talleys I'll sell you. BECAUSE, I bought lows and highs, kept the one that didn't fit.

What ranges are you going to be shooting to? You should have enough elevation in your Lupey so you may not need the 20MOA in the rail.

Comment

Originally posted by GyrPer1 View Post
                  Any of you guys roll with the 257 Weatherby? It looks like an order quantity of at least 5 barrels is required. Still waffling between the 257, 6.5 PRC, or maybe the 280AI or even the 270 WBY. Mule deer / Whitetail / Antelope.

Ah, decisions decisions. Will be running a Swaro Z5 3-18.

WOO HOO!!!
                  I'm trying to decide whether I want a 6.5 PRC, or a creed. I am concerned about the barrel life with the PRC. Same animal's I will be after, but the amount of decisions to be made is tough.

Comment

Creedmoor first IMO

I'm eyeing a boomer for next year but I don't need it.

I still think a good bonded 6.5 Creedmoor bullet will kill a Nilgai if hit right.

Comment

Barrels are like tires, they can be replaced when they run out of tread. In a dedicated hunting rig, I'm guessing it would take a LONG time to burn out a PRC barrel (as compared to something like a 6.5-300 WBY).

To me, what’s important is flat trajectory in tandem with a relatively high BC projectile (which would mean a 1:7.5 twist in 257WBY and blackjacks), for those potential 10 second shot opportunities; "point - shoot - boom". It's always about the "what if".

Really torn on cartridge selection – much more than I should be. I guess at the end of the day it all comes down to making the shot. In my head, drop isn’t as important “wind voodoo”, which is why I’d probably run with the blackjacks out west.

UGH.

Comment

yep WIND keeps most of us VERY humble at long ranges.

Jordan are you wanting 1 "DO ALL" rifle? if so I think the 6.5 PRC would be your huckleberry

Hurry though only 5 hours left to order

Comment

Yah. IF the PRC is as accurate as the creed - go with the PRC.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzsaw View Post
                            I hate these questions. I always start with Lows BUT, I would call Talley, tell him you has a Proof Research barrel, go on Proof's website, get the muzzle diameter, probably something like .930. Give this number to Talley with scope dimension (50mm Obj)

He will tell you. The "rule of thumb" is to get the scope as close to the barrel without touching.
                            This being said, he will ask you if you are using any type of Len's cover, this, can make a big difference in your choice.

I might have a brand new set of Talleys I'll sell you. BECAUSE, I bought lows and highs, kept the one that didn't fit.

What ranges are you going to be shooting to? You should have enough elevation in your Lupey so you may not need the 20MOA in the rail.

Thanks, Yea I usually do call Talley on my other orders but they are for production rifles, I didn't know if they would be able to help me with a custom. I will give them a call and see what they say.

Is it the lows you have to sell?

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzsaw View Post
                              yep WIND keeps most of us VERY humble at long ranges.

Jordan are you wanting 1 "DO ALL" rifle? if so I think the 6.5 PRC would be your huckleberry

Hurry though only 5 hours left to order
                              There is over a week left to order, unless you know something different than Robert's post?

Comment

Originally posted by GyrPer1 View Post
                                Yah. IF the PRC is as accurate as the creed - go with the PRC.
                                My PRC is...just faster with a tad more recoil. Same with 6.5x284.

Comment

Working...
                                X