No announcement yet.

Which arrow???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The diameter of the shaft, plus the thickness of the strike plate material you use is going to impact things some,

BUT

for what you have, and are looking for - Go with the .500's, and it will put you into a very successfully tuneable arrow, with plenty of room for length adjustment if needed.

Looks like 29.5" to back of point length is going to be spot on, but start long, and trim them down a little bit at a time till you get there.

This graph shows the match up to your bow with Goldtip Trad .500's with 135gr heads, 5" feathers, and cut to 29.5" back of point length.

The blue, and green bars are the ones of importance, and they are almost a dead nutz match.

Here's the link to the calculator if you want to play with it some:
    Welcome to the new Taylor Telecom! Offering high speed fiber internet connections to rural West-Central Texas!

If you have any questions, just ask.

Hope it helps.

Rick
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks a lot Rick, I appreciate it. What about aluminum, would a 1916 or a 2016 be a better fit?
      Grits

Comment

Originally posted by Grits View Post
        Thanks a lot Rick, I appreciate it. What about aluminum, would a 1916 or a 2016 be a better fit?
        Grits
        You're quite welcome.

To be anywhere near the length you want, the 2016's are going to be considerably stiff, and the 1916's considerably weak, that is unless you want to change point weights, which I didn't figure you do.

With 135gr heads, and at the length you want (within reason) 2013's should be easily tuneable to satisfaction.

Rick

EDIT:
        P.S.
        In my opinion - stick with the carbons.
        Down the road you'll be glad you did, or wishing you had.

Comment

Thanks again Rick for the input, you have been a great help.
          Grits

Comment

Thanks for the info. What about a 600?

I shoot the 600 out of my 45 lb bow i cut them at 30 inches and tune using the pdf weights with the nock and insert that they screw into, they will fly far and straight, without feathers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

What are the pdf weights?

Comment

What are the pdf weights?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks BowBuddy2
                  Grits

Comment

I'm shooting 600's uncut out of my 45. Use the inserts that came with them (15g I think) and some old Razorheads (145g). When I do my part they fly very very well. To be honest though I built these arrows through trial and error to specifically shoot that broadhead and did the same with the arrows for my heavier bow.

As others have said no chart is 100% correct. It might almost behoove you to pick up a test set and try that.

Comment

Rick, when I use your calculator, I get the following results:
                      Generic recurve, 43#@28, 3/16 past center with a 12 strand fast flight string
                      400 spine easton aftermath arrow with 145 head and 18 grain inserts, 2" footing of 18 grains, and average fletching and nock weight.
                      This arrow tubes perfectly.
                      Does that sound about right?

Comment

Originally posted by styksnstryngs View Post
                        Rick, when I use your calculator, I get the following results:
                        Generic recurve, 43#@28, 3/16 past center with a 12 strand fast flight string
                        400 spine easton aftermath arrow with 145 head and 18 grain inserts, 2" footing of 18 grains, and average fletching and nock weight.
                        This arrow tubes perfectly.
                        Does that sound about right?
                        If it tunes perfect, then it's likely right , but it's all also dependent on the length of the arrow to BOP, it's GPI, and the diameter of the shaft.

The aftermath isn't listed in the calculator, so I would have to have all 3 of the above mentioned factors to do an accurate calculation.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                          If it tunes perfect, then it's likely right , but it's all also dependent on the length of the arrow to BOP, it's GPI, and the diameter of the shaft.

The aftermath isn't listed in the calculator, so I would have to have all 3 of the above mentioned factors to do an accurate calculation.

Rick
                          The aftermaths are the same shaft as the St exels.

Comment

Originally posted by styksnstryngs View Post
                            The aftermaths are the same shaft as the St exels.
                            With the bow being cut negative 3/16", and assuming a 1/16" thick strike plate material, the arrow's inside is setting at negative 1/8"

The calculator shows a perfect arrow/bow match up with your specs "IF" the arrow is 31.75" to back of point, and I trust that as being pretty accurate.

So my question is: How long are your arrows to back of point?

Rick

Comment

Working...
                            X