Big Lake Bottom WMA E-Postcard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post

There are only 2 access points to this unit, so your options will be limited to how far you are willing to walk if you do not have a 4x4 or atv. Every year I was there it was super muddy gumbo. ATV was a must. But yes you could kill deer by walking in.

Do not use the old access point on the north east side of the WMA. They consider this illegal entry and it comes with a $300 fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Roysecityslayor View Post
      Do not use the old access point on the north east side of the WMA. They consider this illegal entry and it comes with a $300 fine.
      Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Roysecityslayor View Post
        Yea after i posted that i noticed that entry point was no longer shown on the wma map.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
          Yea after i posted that i noticed that entry point was no longer shown on the wma map.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
          I will be there November 30 less being cancelled

Comment

A little FYI for you guys.... I called today to tell them I would only be able to hunt Saturday due to work so I went ahead and gave up my spot for a standby... I went ahead and asked what the conditions are, he told me u needed a boat to get around the WMA as of today... So you guys might want to reconsider heading out there.

Comment

Well I will be there for the 30 November thru 9 December, should be dried up by then.

Comment

Originally posted by birdsongty1 View Post
                Well I will be there for the 30 November thru 9 December, should be dried up by then.

Same here. Not sure if I want to hunt from the ground and have the ability to move around easier, or carry a climber around and get a height advantage. Never been up to the WMA before.

Comment

Spoke with TPWD today, he said that the WMA is completely under water (or at least last time he was there) and that you're going to need a kayak to get around and search for high ground. He also said the road crossing the hi-line was under water as well - which I thought was troubling, best I can remember that was the highest point on the WMA. He said they don't plan on cancelling it, but at this point I'm wondering if its even worth going out there.

Comment

Depends on what the weather does Wednesday on the amount of rain. i have private property close to this WMA and our bottom land was flooded this weekend from the Trinity but it was dropping Sunday. The area will be WET even after the water falls. I would call the biologist to keep getting updates.

I would take a climber on this hunt to be mobile

Comment

I crossed the Hwy 79/84 bridge this afternoon coming home. River is still out of it's banks. Since I crossed it last Thur., water hasn't gone down much. I don't know when the next hunt is, but I bet they will still need a boat.

Comment

I went and scouted this morning and I am very reluctant to report that I'm going to throw in the towel. I just don't see any way it clears up by this weekend. Shallowest point I found was still under about 14" of water, and I kayaked around for about 3 hours. Folks that have been there will recognize some of the pics below

From the parking lot:

The 1 mile road to the WMA - this was deep in places, over 5'

The first part of the WMA on the left of the gate - the green on the left is just tall reeds, still completely under water.

Down the fence line on the left side

I dropped my phone in the water after that pic and turned it off (fortunately not broken). Best of luck to anyone that heads out there - but with the rain today it's probably just going to be worse. If you head out there bring a yak/canoe. I didn't search the entire WMA by any means, but I went to the highest spots I knew of and they were floating - that doesn't mean there aren't areas that are above water, I just didn't find them. Also the bugs were relentless, I can't imagine how bad its going to be once the water clears out a little bit.

Best of luck, I'm still applying next year!
                        Last edited by Hank Hill; 10-31-2018, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Last edited by WreakinHavoc; 11-02-2018, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                            Depends on what the weather does Wednesday on the amount of rain. i have private property close to this WMA and our bottom land was flooded this weekend from the Trinity but it was dropping Sunday. The area will be WET even after the water falls. I would call the biologist to keep getting updates.

I would take a climber on this hunt to be mobile
                            sounds like we need to do a flooded timber hunt for ducks on your private property! lol

Comment

Does anyone have the phone number to who i can call about an update on the conditions there?

Comment

Originally posted by realtothebone View Post
                                Does anyone have the phone number to who i can call about an update on the conditions there?
                                (903) 928-2251
                                General line for Big lake bottom and Gus engeling

Comment

Working...
                                X