Traditional FSC Week 44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional FSC Week 44

This week, you're going to need a step ladder or a way to get your feet about three or four feet above ground level in reference to target. Also, get a small to medium size rectangular cardboard box.

With hunting season in full swing, we're going to simulate a hard-quartering-away shot on game from a somewhat elevated position. The shot will force you to find the middle of the "kill zone" -- since, animals don't always stand directly broadside and present a 3D kill zone drawing to know where to aim for a "12". I will say that this shot is somewhat inspired by a series of videos about "Center Kill" methodology.

Here's a link to one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8RXpgOdGFc

Specifically, place cardboard box in front of backstop at about a 45-degree angle. Trace a quarter-size spot with a center dot at the top middle near one end of the box. Also, draw a horizontal line across box front side a couple of inches below the top edge of the box. Shoot from 11 yards. The goal is to shoot an arrow from an elevated position and hit the horizontal line at the correct angle "back" to also intersect a point directly below the top-center spot. This should put the arrow in the center of the kill zone. Measure arrow shaft distance from horizontal line, and then lay a long straight-edge on top of box to line up arrow in relation to the top-spot -- draw a line on top of box to show arrow path through the box. Measure distance from that line to the center of the top spot. Shortest total distance from nearest shaft edge to front line added with distance from shaft edge line to center of top spot will win next week's call.

Hopefully, this will be good practice. In that spirit, try it more than once. One "first shot" allowed per day. Best (lowest) one-day total wins.

This is all much simpler to do than to describe.

Good luck, and have fun!
    Last edited by tradtiger; 10-28-2018, 01:07 PM.

Here's a couple of pictures of the set-up. Basically simple: box at 45-degree angle; line across front near top; spot on top middle toward farther end.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

BTW, the marked out line on the top of box is from a similar shot call last week on Rick's Traditional Archery Friends site. That call was for a ground-level quartering away shot. Txrebel won that, by the way, with a 1-1/8" total, bettering my 1-1/4" total. Both would have been deadly.

Comment

I'm looking for a suitable box.
        So far no luck finding one around here.
        I may to improvise. Any ideas?

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
          I'm looking for a suitable box.
          So far no luck finding one around here.
          I may to improvise. Any ideas?

Rick
          Well, I kind of had in mind a mid-size pig body. Could probably make a largish shoe box work, propping it up a little. Trying to allow depiction of three dimensions through an animal body. Suppose you could even shoot through a worn-out block target that would allow some pass-through of the front end so it could be lined up for relation to the top middle spot, and could attach a piece of paper with line near the top front of block for that measurement.

BTW, if anyone happens to be at a Home Depot, those Small boxes are real cheap (I believe less than a dollar).
          Last edited by tradtiger; 10-28-2018, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
            Well, I kind of had in mind a mid-size pig body. Could probably make a largish shoe box work, propping it up a little. Trying to allow depiction of three dimensions through an animal body. Suppose you could even shoot through a worn-out block target that would allow some pass-through of the front end so it could be lined up for relation to the top middle spot, and could attach a piece of paper with line near the top front of block for that measurement.

BTW, if anyone happens to be at a Home Depot, those Small boxes are real cheap (I believe less than a dollar).
            I'm eyeballing one of my wife's kitchen plastic trash cans.

Still undecided about it. I'm afraid of the repercussions later.

Rick

Comment

You copied somebody else on this one!! 🤣🤣🤣

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I meant to advise shooting this shot safely. Last time an elevated shot was called, Randy Madden balanced on the railing of his deck to shoot.

I didn't know that part of that advice might include avoiding repercussions from another family member.

On the other hand, Rick, the kitchen can probably uses liners anyway, so what's a few arrow holes and Sharpie lines more or less matter to the trash can?

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                  You copied somebody else on this one!! 🤣🤣🤣

Bisch

Yeah, ME, on Rick's site.
                  Do you know of another one?

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                    Yeah, ME, on Rick's site.

Do you know of another one?

No! I thought Rick had posted it on his site. Sorry!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                      No! I thought Rick had posted it on his site. Sorry!!!!

Bisch

No problem, buddy.
                      Why don't you get yourself a box and go shoot it. Bet you'd do great!

Comment

Y'all pray for me.
                        I shot the wife's trash can.

Rick

Comment

Setup:

I don't know if this is even remotely what you were calling for,
                          but I tried to spruce it up a bit with some visuals.

Rick
                          Attached Files

Comment

Result.

A little high, and forward, but it's one dead double lunged piggy.

Rick
                            Attached Files

Comment

Amazing production, Rick! Excellent shot, as well. You totally got the spirit of the shot! Especially love the balloons. Demonstrates the wisdom of the shot angle. Dead pig; short track.

Just hope wife understands the scientific and himanitarian nature of the can's sacrifice.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X