No announcement yet.

KCA Ranch. A Work in Progress.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing exciting for deer season...but I usually have a few shooters show up for the rut...

Comment

Looking good Bobby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lots of targets, better get busy!

Comment

Keep the faith Chew! They will come!

Comment

Wife told me, you haven't killed a deer at our place since we bought it. What's the problem? I told her I wasn't that mad at them. She told me I was converting to a vegetarian. That ticked me off so I fought the skeeters this weekend and killed what I thought was a doe. It was a nubbin. I don't care. It was fun. Deer were spooky and he did a matrix move at the shot. Somehow a broadside shot turned into entry near the spine and exit through the stomach. Sounded like a paddle hitting the water (thump/splash/ripe watermelon sound). He ran behind me and I thought I heard flopping.

Checked the arrow and it had green on it. Yuk. Didn't see blood anywhere. Went back to camp and piddled around for an hour and got Daisy the Catahoula. When she saw her yellow tracking leash she **** near peed herself (no humping involved).

We took a long nature walk to get to the back of the property and she had her nose popping the whole way. Got to the back stand and she smelled the nasty arrow and looked at me like I was crazy. I told her to "get the deer". And she was off. 50/60 yard track down a trail behind my quadpod and then she threw on the brakes and made a 90 into the woods. Deer was DRT. Very proud of my girl. I backtracked and couldn't find any blood or stomach matter.

Deer was about the size of a mature jackrabbit. Cooked up ALL of the backstrap and it will only make about 2 meals and a lunch.

But I finally broke the curse of not shooting a deer (only hogs) on my property. Maybe things will come together for a nice buck.

Daisy video:

My Girl Daisy is 3 for 4 on deer. She's a natural. Trained her a little bit as a pup but not a lot. When she sees the yellow leash she knows it's time to go...

Got to finally open up the box that had my ForEverLast skinning rack. It worked great for skinning the rabbit.
            Last edited by Chew; 10-01-2018, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Creek was up!

New culvert doing good.

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuYbrHQIg20"]High water - YouTube[/ame]
                Last edited by Chew; 10-01-2018, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Few deer pics near the camp.

Comment

Nice and tender. I would take exception to being called a vegetarian myself. Good job for you and Daisy.

Comment

Yummy! Congratulations

Comment

Congrats on the first on your place! Thats got to be a good feeling!

Comment

Congrats Chew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Congrats on drawing first blood Booby! I'm sure you had to clean the blood off the tailgate of that fancy F250 before it even dried!!

Comment

Congrats on the first deer blood.
                              I've had a deer do the same matrix move before- bh went in the bottom of rib cage and came out next to the spine. Made for an interesting trail as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice work and congrats on the deer Bobby!

Didn't know ya had miniature axis too!

Comment

Working...
                                X