2018 LBJ Grasslands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
    I have noticed that, with our low deer densities, a lot of deer bed in visual based bedding. About the only time I jump good deer is on “just off” winds for the direction I am traveling. Dan Infalt talks about this for hunting bedding areas, and I have become a believer based on my personal experiences with it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm a huge Dan Infalt fan as well. And The Hunting Public guys!

Comment

Who all is going to be out in the woods for the opener next weekend?

Comment

I will be. Hopefully I won't float away.

Comment

I was hoping to get out there either Sunday or Monday, but the setups I was wanting to do probably won’t work out if the winds stay like predicted. I was really hoping this northern wind would stick around until then, but it doesn’t look like that will be the case.
          If I get a chance to hunt one of those days, it will be somewhere other than LBJ.

Comment

Think I will be out there Sat. Have a few questions seeing this is the first time hunting texas public land.

1. Orange has to be worn by even bow hunters?
            2. Can corn be used?
            3. Other then my license and a annual public hunting permit is there anything I need?

Comment

Originally posted by dustin_mud View Post
              Think I will be out there Sat. Have a few questions seeing this is the first time hunting texas public land.

1. Orange has to be worn by even bow hunters?
              2. Can corn be used?
              3. Other then my license and a annual public hunting permit is there anything I need?
              1. Only during firearm season (even if bowhunting)

2. No

3. Only hunting license required

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I was up there this morning to pull a camera, no issues, didn't seem like they got the rain we did in DFW.

Several things could have happened to my camera, I forgot to turn in on (has happened before), someone found it and erased pics/turned it off, or I scouted a really bad place. I lean toward not turning it on.

I'll add to Rick's response, orange may be a good idea walking around, I believe you can hunt with shotgun/muzzleloader for hogs during archery only, plus you never know with the proximity to DFW how many idiots may be out there.

Good luck next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                  I was up there this morning to pull a camera, no issues, didn't seem like they got the rain we did in DFW.

Several things could have happened to my camera, I forgot to turn in on (has happened before), someone found it and erased pics/turned it off, or I scouted a really bad place. I lean toward not turning it on.

I'll add to Rick's response, orange may be a good idea walking around, I believe you can hunt with shotgun/muzzleloader for hogs during archery only, plus you never know with the proximity to DFW how many idiots may be out there.

Good luck next weekend.
                  This is why I always have it take a picture as I am walking up. When checking the card if there is a pic of me walking up it was on. If not I wasted a bunch of time.

Comment

I had 2 camera sets this year with less than 10 pics over 2 months.... big waste of time for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by KayaKyle View Post
                      Who all is going to be out in the woods for the opener next weekend?
                      I'll be out Sat and Sun AM. Get your rain gear ready!

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                        I was hoping to get out there either Sunday or Monday, but the setups I was wanting to do probably won’t work out if the winds stay like predicted. I was really hoping this northern wind would stick around until then, but it doesn’t look like that will be the case.
                        If I get a chance to hunt one of those days, it will be somewhere other than LBJ.

Most of my setups are best for a north wind too but I think the rain will knock a lot of scent out next weekend. If it's not raining, I may rethink where I sit.

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
                          Most of my setups are best for a north wind too but I think the rain will knock a lot of scent out next weekend. If it's not raining, I may rethink where I sit.

My problem is my entry on a south-ish wind destroys me. No sense sitting a spot when the feeding area is downwind of my last 500 yards of entry.

Comment

I will be out Sunday for sure and then maybe Monday.

Comment

What are some of the food sources y’all are noticing? I haven’t ran across any reliable sources of acorns. Seems like a lot of trees aren’t producing much or I’m just blind. Most of my stand positions are between water sources and bedding areas. Not that they are bad, as I’ve gotten plenty of deer on film, but I feel like I’ve been looking over better positions.

Comment

Originally posted by KayaKyle View Post
                                What are some of the food sources y’all are noticing? I haven’t ran across any reliable sources of acorns. Seems like a lot of trees aren’t producing much or I’m just blind. Most of my stand positions are between water sources and bedding areas. Not that they are bad, as I’ve gotten plenty of deer on film, but I feel like I’ve been looking over better positions.

Acorns are few and far between this year thanks to the really dry June and July. Also, most of the acorns in our area are in the red oak family which means the acorns dropping this were set in spring of 2017. We had some really late freezes last year that terminated a lot of flowers. Add that to the dry year we had and the oaks in frost free pockets aren’t producing as well either.

I am focusing a lot on natural food sources like greenbrier, saplings, Forbes, and the like.

Comment

Working...
                                X