No announcement yet.

Free wind checkers in full bloom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I live in southeast tx, and I'm sure it grows here but I've never seen it. I ordered some off of eBay a couple of years ago and it should last me a lifetime. Think I bought 8 pods for $10 and it's a ton.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Dried cattail also works well, once dry, pull it apart and pack in old pill bottle.

Comment

I’m covered again in ditches. Still too green for the most part. I’ve been using a few years and have a good method for collecting and storage. I’ve got 3 life times stored now. Lol

Compared to a cotton ball is like the latest and greatest flashlight vs. a 3 wick candle… not even close

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald G View Post
          We have those here but I keep a cotton ball or two with me and you can pull off a very small piece and do the same thing. Plus the cotton is easier to find.
          But not nearly as cool.

Comment

Last year’s harvest
            Attached Files

Comment

I know I've seen these growing before, but for the life of me, can't remember where... You East Texas guys, got any tips as to where and what to look for? Do they grow in the heavy woods, in open fields, borders, or what?
              Thanks!

Comment

They work great.

Comment

And where ever they land they will sprout and make food for Monarch Butterfly caterpillars.

Comment

https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/po...kweed%20leaves.

Comment

Our milkweed have just sprouted, lol.
                      We have a ton that grows along our sidewalk and I will have a bunch of pods end of summer if anyone wants me to send some down for distribution amongst yourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        I know I've seen these growing before, but for the life of me, can't remember where... You East Texas guys, got any tips as to where and what to look for? Do they grow in the heavy woods, in open fields, borders, or what?
                        Thanks!
                        Open fields that don't/rarely get mowed. Not uncommon to see them in the uncut edges of coastal fields, usually in full sun. I've got some in my pasture I mowed around the other day, I need to go see if it's ripe.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                          I have a good method for collecting and storage.
                          so are you going to elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                            so are you going to elaborate?
                            I just snap off and let dry in sun. I had some old film canisters I store in

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

When you see some busting open… leave them they make a mess lol. Pick all the green pods you want. Store in a full sun location till dry, check daily. It happens fast. Store where wind won’t blow away. When dried out brown, pull open and remove “fluff”. Place in empty DRY and clean water bottle. Seeds will mostly settle to bottom. Store in cool dry place refill whatever device to use as needed. I use one made by lone wolf. And milk sample tubes (… cause I got a few). The plastic tubes you get M&M’ in the checkout lane work great too. Someone makes a pouch you can just pull through. Might be THP not sure

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                                Open fields that don't/rarely get mowed. Not uncommon to see them in the uncut edges of coastal fields, usually in full sun. I've got some in my pasture I mowed around the other day, I need to go see if it's ripe.

I'm gonna go take a ride around my pasture... It was so wet last winter, I did not get to mow and so far this summer have not mowed... I got plenty thistle and other weeds, so maybe I have some of these suckers too!!
                                Thanks Dale.

Comment

Working...
                                X