anthrax updates for Sutton and valverde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
    Got word this morning that our lease is up for sale. It's a beautiful property and it's a shame. If anyone is in the market for 2100 acres with a brick home and barns/corrals she's on the market. I guess I'll start hauling my stuff home next trip in anticipation of it selling. Also has a bunk house for hunter or the MIL.
    Lease is for sale and you had it leased for the season?
    So I guess you get your money back and without a lease.
    Anthrax hit your lease ?

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
      Lease is for sale and you had it leased for the season?
      So I guess you get your money back and without a lease.
      Anthrax hit your lease ?
      Yes we leased it and yes it's now on the market. Landowner told me we could hunt until it sells and if it sells before season is over he would make it right. Anthrax did hit us but I don't know how bad. Some of the guys are on their way down there now to check it out.

Comment

Update from our trip - we are about 8 miles west of Sonora but just about a mile south of I10 and we were hit. Found 5 dead deer and 1 turkey. So not sure how many more where out there we didn’t see. All feeders had piles of corn underneath them. Our cameras showed deer stopped coming about end of July. A few here and there but no where near the numbers we historically had.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
          Yes we leased it and yes it's now on the market. Landowner told me we could hunt until it sells and if it sells before season is over he would make it right. Anthrax did hit us but I don't know how bad. Some of the guys are on their way down there now to check it out.
          Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
            Thanks.

You bet.

I’ll be looking for this guy come October.

Comment

Has anyone put a game camera on one of the dead deer? I hear even a buzzard won't eat one killed by anthrax. Just wondering if they can smell the anthrax.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Comment

Nothing ate ours, they all where just rotting by the sun. Not sure how they detect disease but they seem to sure know what’s ok to eat.

Comment

We have signs of deer at our place. Corn is being eaten, cams have pics of deer recently. We seem to have been spared. Shahan ranch, up 7 miles on 674 north of brackettville

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Talked to LO today looks like it has slowed down. We look to be ok, but hope the ones that been hit recover soon. With the cooler temps I hope it’s over and not return any time soon.

Comment

I’m just a lurker on this thread, but I hate it for all of y’all.

Do y’all think there is any chance the deer and other exotics knew what was happening and left? I know some of y’all say y’all found 5 dead deer, then some say they found 30 dead deer. If the place was wiped out, wouldn’t y’all find more dead deer than 5-30? I am completely new to any facts about anthrax, but just doing the number, I’m really hoping for y’alls sake the animals moved pastures.

Comment

It’s really weird, in the last month the deer ate almost no protein out of our two stands. Went through the cards and I’d say we have fewer deer than before but on camera there was a decent mix of buck and doe. Bucks were all 1.5-3.5 year olds. Had some mature doe on camera. Seemed like I had more activity on cameras away from my feeders.

I’m convinced we will recover but it may take some time to get things back the way they were.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                          I’m just a lurker on this thread, but I hate it for all of y’all.

Do y’all think there is any chance the deer and other exotics knew what was happening and left? I know some of y’all say y’all found 5 dead deer, then some say they found 30 dead deer. If the place was wiped out, wouldn’t y’all find more dead deer than 5-30? I am completely new to any facts about anthrax, but just doing the number, I’m really hoping for y’alls sake the animals moved pastures.
                          I’m hoping this is the case. All the live deer we saw riding around where no where near our feeder locations. I’m hoping they are foraging elsewhere and start showing up as it starts to get cooler when that happens.

Some locals in town said take a total count of dead deer you see and multiply it by 50% to give you the best idea of how many deer probably are out there you didn’t see. So for us we probably lost 7-10 deer worst case if that’s true. I also talked to some oil hands that drive these ranches daily. They said they def have seen lower deer numbers but lots of good deer still roaming around. Only time will tell I guess.

Comment

Just got back from my ranch in val Verde. No signs of anthrax. 8000 pics on cameras that were put out on July 4th. But the drive down from ozona was sad. I drove 163 south to 1973. Not one single deer or axis till I made it to the dirt road by ozona camp. And I went thru at 45 minutes till dark. Usually I see so many animals you lose count. When you take the right to head to 1024 there was probably 30 axis. And 1024 had the usual amount on road. I'm off blue hills road. Even saw a dead horse with no vultures on it on 1973. But I do have a mountain lion on camera so he might take a toll on my deer. We did get a good rain shower Saturday evening

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Just go back from our place just south Sonora and we were pretty much wiped out. We did two deer surveys and counted 13 the first night (only surveyed half the ranch) and 27 the second when we surveyed the full 5,000 acres. We typically see 150 plus on a normal survey. We have only found 37 dead so not sure where the rest are? I know it sounds crazy but do the deer get a sense that something is wrong and leave?

Comment

anthrax updates for Sutton and valverde

As for all the deer leaving and coming back theories, my opinion is No, they’re dead. This is numerous counties miles and miles. Going from one anthrax ranch to the next doesn’t make much sense to me. I could be wrong though.
                                Our place is same update, not really finding any fresh ones just old ones from real bad outbreak in late July. Kinda stopped looking after 138 bodies, tired of death.
                                Some pastures have zero deer on camera, some still have decent numbers. I have My texting camera going off all night with nocturnal pics of about 6-10 deer every night. Out of the 28 big known bucks on the ranch ZERO are on camera but only 3 have been found dead. We are seeing pockets of deer driving no where near feeders on the ranch.
                                Like others said, drove miles and miles at night where we usually see 100 deer and don’t see a single one now.
                                Majority of feed pens that usually have 30 deer in it look like this right now...

Comment

Working...
                                X