• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JFRITZ06 View Post
    Val Verde/Sutton County Line HWY 189

No way ! Say it ain’t soooo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I believe thats about the same location that millman lost most of his herd a couple years back. Im not sure if he ever found out what it was but it didnt effect us and we were probably less than a mile from his place

Comment

Its a possibility with all the rain it could be blue tongue/ehd. I know its spread by a midge that thrives in the mud so if theres a wallered out hole underneath a feeder it could spread that way i guess. Best of luck to you and keep us updated

Comment

FYI:
          My neighbors and I have found a dozen dead deer within the last week. Buzzards everywhere. I’m sure there’s more than that we have missed.
          Has anyone else come across this?
          I spoke to the biologist and he said it didn't look good. He said the conditions are perfect for anthrax.
          He also said he had received multiple other calls with the same concerns in the relative area.
          Just wanted to get some opinions
          Would you mind keeping us updated? They found Anthrax down in Uvalde last week as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
            Would you mind keeping us updated? They found Anthrax down in Uvalde last week as well.

Absolutely.
            I am headed down there Tuesday to take a little closer look and visit with the neighboring ranches as well as the biologist.
            I will update as soon as I get any new information.

Comment

I was in Del Rio this weekend, everything is very green. Hopefully the Anthrax thing is not widespread. It should be a great season, but Anthrax is a real wildcard so time will tell.

Comment

Tagged...I hunt on 189 also, hate to hear that.

Comment

I talked to my land owner last night and no signs of dead deer on his property. He said he's hearing a little noise from other ranchers that EHD or blue tongue
                  is in the area, but no major die-offs so far.

Comment

Any updates on finding dead deer that may have been caused by anthrax or EHD along highway 189 near the sutton / valverde county line? I also hunt along hwy 189, approx. 3 to 4 miles from hwy 277. About 5 years ago I also found about 10 to 15 dead deer along with several dead cows but no final diagnosis of cause of death. I was at the ranch several weeks ago and no sign of any dead deer.

Comment

I just got back from Val Verde on Tuesday.

FM 1024 area looks very green. Saw a lot of deer both in person and on cameras. Our deer are looking very healthy and I even saw a doe with 2 fawns, a big one and a small one.

Good distance from the area mentioned above though.
                      Last edited by TP3; 07-04-2019, 04:05 PM.

Comment

I'm headed out to our lease on the Val Verde/Terrell County line the last weekend of the month. I know we are a little farther west than ya'll, but we did have a big anthrax die off about 8-10 years ago. I haven't been out there since the last of February and I'm itching to get after some pigs and sheep. I'll top off the feeders and check cameras while I'm there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Fischer View Post
                          Any updates on finding dead deer that may have been caused by anthrax or EHD along highway 189 near the sutton / valverde county line? I also hunt along hwy 189, approx. 3 to 4 miles from hwy 277. About 5 years ago I also found about 10 to 15 dead deer along with several dead cows but no final diagnosis of cause of death. I was at the ranch several weeks ago and no sign of any dead deer.

Just got back in. We found a lot more dead deer than what we were hoping for. We had the local Biologist and Game Wardens come out to get their input. They both said that it has not been officially tested, but they can confidently say it is
                          Anthrax. They said ranchers don’t want any tests done because they don’t want to deal with the quarantine procedures. We did speak to a local vet that said they took a sample into Texas A&M. The Biologist said the “hot spot” is South of I-10 and West of 277.
                          We talked to several locals that are losing livestock as well. The biologist said the best thing to hope for is rain and cooler temps. Looking at the cameras, it looks like it started taking effect around the 22nd of last month. We found several orphaned fawns as well. The Game Warden had a lady come out and take them for rehabilitation. I’m planning on going back down in a few weeks and will update again.

Comment

Man that's a bad deal I hate to hear that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just got back in. We found a lot more dead deer than what we were hoping for. We had the local Biologist and Game Wardens come out to get their input. They both said that it has not been officially tested, but they can confidently say it is

Anthrax. They said ranchers don’t want any tests done because they don’t want to deal with the quarantine procedures. We did speak to a local vet that said they took a sample into Texas A&M. The Biologist said the “hot spot” is South of I-10 and West of 277.

We talked to several locals that are losing livestock as well. The biologist said the best thing to hope for is rain and cooler temps. Looking at the cameras, it looks like it started taking effect around the 22nd of last month. We found several orphaned fawns as well. The Game Warden had a lady come out and take them for rehabilitation. I’m planning on going back down in a few weeks and will update again.

How far down 189 are you finding the dead deer? I’m about 8 miles down from 277.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BrianG View Post
                                How far down 189 are you finding the dead deer? I’m about 8 miles down from 277.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

We are right on the Sutton/Val Verde County line. When we left, we saw buzzards on carcasses scattered out all the way to Sonora. The groups of buzzards seemed to be more concentrated on 189 though.

Comment

Working...
                                X