No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa NWR 1/10-1/12 Rifle Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it just me, or has anyone else been reading the other Atascosa thread and completely overhauling your plan of attack for this hunt!?!?

Comment

I am just wondering since were are the last rifle hunt, what it is going to be like. Preparing for some log trips in on the bike.

Comment

I was on the last rifle hunt last year, and yes less game will be seen and harvested. You can actually look up the harvest reports from the past few years and success trends down as the hunts go along.

That being said, go deep, hunt on the edges of the refuge and hunt all day. Success is coming from unit 8 right now because the animals haven't been spread out, but after 4 bow hunts and 4 rifle hunts they will be far from the roads. The buck in my profile pic was shot right at noon on the second day after putting in three miles on foot and 2.5 miles on the bike.
        Last edited by TexAg07; 11-21-2019, 02:50 PM.

Comment

With the 1st rifle weekend under way it will be interesting to see what comes in!

Comment

Hey Gents! Man I’m geared up and ready for the challenge of this hunt! I’m staying at the campground north of the WMA, so if any of you folks are gonna be my neighbor for the hunt, feel free to send me a PM. Regardless of where y’all are staying for the hunt, reach out to me if you’d like to have someone “on-call” for a hand in the field.

Merry Christmas to all of y’all, and I look forward to shaking some new hands in a few weeks!

Comment

TGKIL, we will be staying at the campground too! Look for the wall tent and silver Tundra with USMC plates.

Comment

I’ll be in a white 4 door Nissan Frontier, see ya there.

Comment

Do any of you folks know if Verizon has coverage in the LANWR area? Last time I drove 3+ hours south of Fort Worth I couldn’t pick up any data, so I lost my navigation. I learned the hard way that gas stations don’t sell maps anymore!

If Verizon doesn’t cover down there, I need to step up my hard copy map game before next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TGKIL View Post
                    Do any of you folks know if Verizon has coverage in the LANWR area? Last time I drove 3+ hours south of Fort Worth I couldn’t pick up any data, so I lost my navigation. I learned the hard way that gas stations don’t sell maps anymore!

If Verizon doesn’t cover down there, I need to step up my hard copy map game before next week.

It's iffy.

On-X and downloaded maps are the way to go

Comment

Originally posted by Darkarcher159 View Post
                      Got drawn for Laguna Atascosa NWR General Deer Rifle hunt January 10-12!!! Any advice from the Green Screen from those that have been there would be greatly appreciated!!! Send me a PM if you prefer. Thanks in advance!

Cary Beason
                      aka Darkarcher159
                      I was drawn for this hunt 3 years ago. It was a good hunt saw several but only had a shot opportunity on one bull at 400 yards. However it was close too dark and I had hiked a long way from any road and was having major back issues so I passed. I stayed in the country park with my travel trailer. It was fine but they lock the gates at 2100-2200 hrs. If you are later than that getting back you have too park out side. This year the kids, Jason, and myself were drawn for the Lower Rio Grande National Wildlife Reserve so we will be there in February. Good luck. If you have more questions shoot me a text.

Comment

Originally posted by TGKIL View Post

Google maps allows you to download an area for offline navigation. Google search for instructions.

You can save an area from Google Maps to your phone or tablet and use it when you're offline. Tip: You’re unable to download offline maps in some countries or regio

Comment

Laguna Atascosa NWR 1/10-1/12 Rifle Hunt

The weather forecast ain’t looking too good for this hunt fellas! I hope the rain chances go down before next weekend gets here.

Comment

In to see how it goes. Goodluck! Gotta make up for meredith

Comment

Hey, how was your hunt?

I've been hearing rumors of LANWR killing Nilgai by helicopter due to ticks or something. Anybody on these hunts that can confirm or gather more info? I've been waiting forever to draw one of these, sure would be a kick in the face to have them wipe'em all out and then I finally draw.

Comment

What we were told last week by the assistant refuge manager was that they were doing helicopter hunts in Unit 4. Unit 4 is supposedly only unit that is not accessible by land and that is why they are doing helicopter hunts on it.

As far as our hunt it was pretty dang good. Saw nilgai everyday. Learned just how tough those bulls are. Hit one at 200 yards with a 300 win mag, knocked him to the ground but he got off and ran like I never touched him. Found only a little blood at the area where he initially went down then nada. Ended up taking a cow that was probably 300 pounds on the hoof. Can't wait to get drawn again!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X