Laguna Atascosa NWR 1/10-1/12 Rifle Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FlyGuyy View Post
    How many of you use a pop-up blind at Laguna Atascosa?

I’ve never used one before. Any recommendations on one that can be backpacked in? I also hunt the SHNF a fair amount (no deer lease) so I’d use it out there too if I decided to purchase one.
    I’ve never hunted Laguna, but I have used pop ups before. My experience with them is that they aren’t very light, so if you plan to go pretty far in, your best bet is going to be a small steel spring set up. Those are the lightest I’ve found, and they tend to be pretty compact when folded up. Blind combined with a stool is probably going to be 10-15 pounds minimum.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Comment

I talked with a guy at work last week, and asked him if he knew anything about Atascosa or nilgai, and he didn't have any info but he reached out to a FB group he's in. The consensus from his FB group (people that have hunted Atascosa) echoed what has been said here, the best way to hunt nilgai is to find a trail and settle in. Evidently these things bust you walking and are gone before you even know it, so being still is the way to go. All sources are saying to pick a spot and stay still, so I'm going to heed all of the advice.

Changing directions a bit, does anyone have a snake boot that they'd recommend? I'm shopping around for a pair, but I don't want to spend $200-$300 on something that isn't comfortable.

Comment

Get chaps and wear your comfortable boots

Comment

Originally posted by TGKIL View Post

Changing directions a bit, does anyone have a snake boot that they'd recommend? I'm shopping around for a pair, but I don't want to spend $200-$300 on something that isn't comfortable.
          Chaps are great but they are noisy and hot. If you decide to sit in hopes that a nilgai moves in front of you, both will be non-issues and I would also recommend the chaps. If you are stalking, you want to illuminate as much noise as you possibly can and snake boots will help with that. I believe a pair of red heads are under 200.00. The key is to make sure they are well worn in and I recommend wearing wool socks. Blisters suck out there. Pack some band aides to put on any areas that start rubbing before they turn into blisters. If you are lucky enough to hunt when the temperature is below 50 degrees, then I wouldn't worry about snakes and wear whatever is comfortable.

Comment

More is said about rattlers than necessary. I have seen them in LA but on very warm days. I just use chaps on those days and take them off while sitting. Be more concerned about insects and thorny vegetation

Comment

I talked with a guy at work last week, and asked him if he knew anything about Atascosa or nilgai, and he didn't have any info but he reached out to a FB group he's in. The consensus from his FB group (people that have hunted Atascosa) echoed what has been said here, the best way to hunt nilgai is to find a trail and settle in. Evidently these things bust you walking and are gone before you even know it, so being still is the way to go. All sources are saying to pick a spot and stay still, so I'm going to heed all of the advice.

Call the Justin Boots outlet in Fort Worth. I found some Chippewa’s last year for my wife for $150 shipped. They had a minor scuff on the leather, otherwise brand new.

Comment

Grew up hunting Laguna it’s a tough hunt but still wouldn’t trade it for anything. We’ve had opportunity to hunt nilgai many years now shoot big caliber and we’ve always had luck with nosler 180 to 200 in 338 win and 300 win mags. We’ve always shot dead in shoulder and be ready for immediate follow up shot. They have amazing eye sight so can be a little tough sneaking up on them. Usually have best luck where we can see a lot of open salt grass surrounded by brush. Good luck!

Comment

Anybody win big in the draws today? I'm pending 2nd drawing on 17 hunts, so I think it's safe to say that I didn't win anything...

Comment

Not me. 20+ years and still batting .1000 at not getting drawn for rifle hunts.

Comment

I’ve been taking an inventory of all of my gear in preparation of this hunt, and I wanted to see if you gents could help me decide on whether or not I should purchase a few things.

I have plenty of knives, but I was thinking about picking up a Havalon Piranta Edge; anybody know if a Havalon could cut it on a nilgai? Dad joke/pun intended there...

Anyone use Blackovis reusable game bags? Would a set of the large handle a decent sized nilgai?

I understand that the refuge has a cooler you can use to store your game during the hunt, but I have a 9.5 hour drive home after the hunt, so I’m thinking about picking up a Rtic 145 to go along with my Rtic 65 and Coleman 53. Do y’all think the 145 is necessary, or would my other coolers handle a bull/cow by themselves?

Thanks in advance, and come on January 10th!

Comment

Black Ovis bags are gtg, make sure you wash them a few times before use, they reek of formaldehyde straight out of the pack.

The large ones are sized for an elk so they should fit a nilgai.

Comment

TG- If you bone them out they will fit in a 105 qt. Kid and I fit a bull, and a cow in a 105 @ 120 last year. That is boned out though and it was tight. As far as knives. Best advice I will give is bring a box cutter and xtra blades. Sharp and easy to keep a sharp blade running. Once skinned use whatever knife fits your hand for processing. I like Dexter boning knife.

Comment

I've been watching the other Atascosa thread, and it don't look like they are going to leave anything there for us!

Comment

I've been watching the other Atascosa thread, and it don't look like they are going to leave anything there for us!

Oh there’s still Nilgai there. If I had a rifle I could have easily taken 2 nilgai. Saw cows on different days at 125 and 165 yards. Just got to be in the right spot. There’s some giant bulls on 5, just a lot people don’t want to do the hump to get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There is also some really thick brush on 5. Not sure how to get them out of it. Right place right time i guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X