No announcement yet.

300+ gr 44mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been seriously considering getting into casting my own for a 45 colt I have on order. I'm thinking an MP Mould that drops cast hollow points in the 255-275 grain range. Then powder coat them. This would be an excellent set up from deer to elk out of the 45 colt.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
      I've been seriously considering getting into casting my own for a 45 colt I have on order. I'm thinking an MP Mould that drops cast hollow points in the 255-275 grain range. Then powder coat them. This would be an excellent set up from deer to elk out of the 45 colt.
      Just have to find a supply of lead, which is getting harder to source.

Sent from my SM-A135U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Andre, I’ve been using powder coat with the few cast bullets I do use, I planted on getting either coated or GC bullets. I am a newb when it comes to cast thanks for the info!

Comment

pm sent

Comment

The elk in my avatar was taken with a 310 grain LEE GC bullet. I shot her 3 times, two went through the heart. One shattered the off side shoulder. Two of the bullets passed through.

The load was a stout dose of H110 (I don’t remember off hand). I’ve shot full-length through decent dived hogs with the same combo.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
              Would you be interested in casting me some? I’d be more than willing to pay you for them.
              I can, but I'd recommend you to buying something like the Missouri Bullet company's 300 grain "Hammer" It can be had with HiTek coating, it's a plain base without gascheck, which should be all you need if you are going subsonic, and you can order more as needed from their website. The big Lyman bullet that I cast is a bore riding design that might possibly give trouble chambering if it's powder coated. And you want powder coated if you are going to shoot through a suppressor...

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
                That's a good weight range for the .45 Colt. For a heavier slug, I cast the 330 grain hollowpoint Gould bullet by Lyman. It's made for .45/70, but will size down to .452 nicely. And since it isn't a bore riding design, it works well powder coated.

Comment

Don't you need to swage your own cast bullets? Just asking cause I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by andre3k View Post
                    Coated or gas checked would be the only way I would go. An exposed lead base creates a build up on my pistol comps so I can only imagine what the build up would look like on a suppressor baffle.

Missouri Bullet Company has a nice 300gn WFN coated bullet. I bought a few to try and and they were very accurate out of my revolvers.

Sent from my SM-A135U1 using Tapatalk
                    i've tried those , they may be pistol accurate , but not rifle accurate .. I messed with coated and gas check lead , none compared to the xtp's

Comment

Working...
                    X