X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CEO View Post
    This may be a little over the top.
    Ahem. Nice.

Our sister church has an annual event where they have vendors and members bring in cool stuff (duck and fishing boats, quail jeep, mounts, antique firearms and bows, artifact collections, etc.) and they feed all kinds of food. It's a big draw.

Comment

It is tough to say without knowing your setup but I would do a combo of what is mentioned above including:

BBQ & Beer (not sure on funding but can take up donations, etc.), beer could be BYOB; Another option for food could be a wild game dinner depending on the crowd

Multiple tournaments including: cornhole (can be done inside), 3 hole washers (can be done inside), dominoes (can be done inside); this would include a broader range of age, skill, attention span, etc. Horse shoes would be a good one too but would require being outside (weather considerations, etc.). For each tourney consider an entry fee where half goes to the church and half goes to prize money and give something to places 1-3, etc.

The only other idea I have is maybe a cookoff type competition. Depending on time of year, space, etc it could be chili, bbq, or anything else. This adds to the competition/fellowship and provides food for everyone at the same time.
      Last edited by cehorn; 07-12-2019, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
        Where you find 4 good baptist, your sure to find a fifth!
        What do they say about taking baptist fishing, always take 2 because if you take just one he will drink all your beer

Comment

I second the beer.

Comment

Originally posted by yaqui View Post
            I second the beer.
            You know of course if they're Baptist you can never invite just one, cause he'll drink all the beer... but if you invite at least two they wont drink any.

Comment

We host an annual 'Beast Feast' - lots of drawings for door prizes, etc., but the food is the main draw - lots of 'beast' meat - exotic meats (not just beef/pork, etc.).
              We have such a great response that we made it an 'outreach' event and you can only come to if you bring someone with you that is 'unchurched'.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                Ax throwing.
                When we were in Vegas we came across this ax throwing place. That was some of the most fun we had all week.

Comment

Food drinks and maybe another yard game or two

Comment

Originally posted by 2B4Him View Post
                    We host an annual 'Beast Feast' - lots of drawings for door prizes, etc., but the food is the main draw - lots of 'beast' meat - exotic meats (not just beef/pork, etc.).
                    We have such a great response that we made it an 'outreach' event and you can only come to if you bring someone with you that is 'unchurched'.
                    I like this idea. We used to have Mens Meatings where we met at different guys homes and have a grill fired up and people brought their own meat.

lots of good ideas listed

Comment

Food is the way to go brother. Good food and fellowship!

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                        Ax throwing.
                        Funny you should mention this, Rileydog was throwing axes yesterday.

I like it, we can market it as “Have you AXED Jesus into your heart!”

Comment

Our church does all kinds of stuff to get men together, but regardless of what the "event" is, the BIG draw is the FOOD. Some of our events are free and some we sell tickets/charge a fee... The money does not seem to have a negative effect on attendance. What we do NOT do is use it as a fund-raiser for the church. These events are for fellowship and finding those in our community who are lost and need Jesus in their lives... Our two biggest draws are always BBQ or Steak night (we flip between these 2) and Fish/shrimp fry...
                          BBQ and fish/shrimp, we have folks come in to provide these. We guarantee minimum # of plates. Steaks, we do ourselves.

The men also seem to like it when we have guest speakers from around the community... One of our best ones this year has been steak night with Ed Hendy (owner of Taste of Texas)... He has a powerful testimony that many will remember being in the news that is a great and exciting story of survival of a plane crash on HWY 59 South of Diboll.

Edit to add: One of the things we almost always do is when it's men's night, the ladies in the church serve the meal, and conversely when it's a ladie's event the men serve the ladies their meal.
                          Most of our events are a combination of indoor and outdoor activities.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
                            It is tough to say without knowing your setup but I would do a combo of what is mentioned above including:

BBQ & Beer (not sure on funding but can take up donations, etc.), beer could be BYOB; Another option for food could be a wild game dinner depending on the crowd

Multiple tournaments including: cornhole (can be done inside), 3 hole washers (can be done inside), dominoes (can be done inside); this would include a broader range of age, skill, attention span, etc. Horse shoes would be a good one too but would require being outside (weather considerations, etc.). For each tourney consider an entry fee where half goes to the church and half goes to prize money and give something to places 1-3, etc.

The only other idea I have is maybe a cookoff type competition. Depending on time of year, space, etc it could be chili, bbq, or anything else. This adds to the competition/fellowship and provides food for everyone at the same time.

---
                            I agree with the cookoff. Our men's club has two per year, chili and gumbo. Each participant cook makes a pot of chili or gumbo, gives it an original name, and everyone votes for the top three. The two with the most votes wins 1st and 2nd. The prizes were engraved cooking paddles. I won the chili cook off with my MAGA Chili dish. Not many of the guys knew they were eating deer meat.

It's a big win for the club because the cooks bear most of the costs.

Comment

Originally posted by rileydog View Post
                              If our church were to host a corn hole tournament, what would be some other things men might find to be an incentive to come?
                              No cornhole please.

Comment

Working...
                              X