TPWD Whitetail Draw Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
    If you are driving from Idaho to hunt Texas public lands for anything other then a bighorn sheep tag you already screwed up.

Is that a fact?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
      No good deer on public land.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
      All deer taste good. Can't eat the antlers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Some are really good and some are not. Do some thread searching on here and you can find info on almost all of em.

Comment

I've been applying every year for the last 20 years...still waiting to get drawn!

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
            Is that a fact?

Let’em know! Haha

Comment

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
              If you are driving from Idaho to hunt Texas public lands for anything other then a bighorn sheep tag you already screwed up.
              what ^^^ he said. As a NR coming to texas to hunt, I would much rather go somewhere else, unless you have private access. our public land draw hunting system is the least opportunistic of any ive seen, and i'm referring to getting drawn. I would not come to hunt national forest here either. residents have a big time advantage in that dept. just my .02.
              Last edited by bowhuntingw; 07-11-2019, 04:27 PM.

Comment

ive always said i was gonna apply just for the experience... maybe this year..

Comment

Comment

I have been pretty successful, I create a spreadsheet every year with draw odds, success rates, etc of the locations I am interested in. I created a simple algorithm that assigns them a "weight" and the best are the ones I apply for.

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                      Is that a fact?

Very nice buck. I have shot nice ones as well on Texas public lands. I’m just saying a 2000 mile trip from something you could find in your home state isn’t really worth it. Even more so when you add in the average success rate, overcrowding, etc that comes along with Texas public lands. Not saying good deer can’t be found but just that it isn’t worth a 2000 mile trip just so you can complain about it later.

Comment

Hey guys, figured I better jump back in here. Don't want to get an argument started and sure don't want to get the thread off-track. I just happen to be a good old boy that likes to hunt, anything and anywhere, and I happen to live in another state now after being in Texas for a while. Finally being retired, we can make our schedules fit any of the hunt dates.

I can, and do, shoot multiple trophies in 3 states within two hours of my house here in Idaho. Deer/elk/bear are OTC and I can go any time I'm free. Have a Utah muzzy antelope tag for Sept., and a late WY whitetail hunt in November this year. They don't take a lot of commitment or travel. Got a really patient wife that loves to hunt also, so no arguments in the house about it.

We just love public land hunting, and do tons of it here too. If you came up here to hunt, that is most likely where I would take you. In Texas, it happens to be WMA's and each has a unique draw of its own. Aoudad, oryx, axis are all things we can't find here. Even WT and MD are an attraction, just because we get to pit our skills against them in a different area or different style.

Its not that we don't trophy hunt, but we do want to be successful too. We managed to kill the best deer on the Chaparral in the last 10 years at 172+" and 14 points, and have hunted other areas where some studs were taken. On a percentage basis, I can probably kill more 120" deer here in Idaho on the river thru town, but have a chance for bigger ones there in Texas.

If you want to reverse the trip, call anytime and we will give you a taste of Idaho public land hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Blank View Post
                          Hey guys, figured I better jump back in here. Don't want to get an argument started and sure don't want to get the thread off-track. I just happen to be a good old boy that likes to hunt, anything and anywhere, and I happen to live in another state now after being in Texas for a while. Finally being retired, we can make our schedules fit any of the hunt dates.

I can, and do, shoot multiple trophies in 3 states within two hours of my house here in Idaho. Deer/elk/bear are OTC and I can go any time I'm free. Have a Utah muzzy antelope tag for Sept., and a late WY whitetail hunt in November this year. They don't take a lot of commitment or travel. Got a really patient wife that loves to hunt also, so no arguments in the house about it.

We just love public land hunting, and do tons of it here too. If you came up here to hunt, that is most likely where I would take you. In Texas, it happens to be WMA's and each has a unique draw of its own. Aoudad, oryx, axis are all things we can't find here. Even WT and MD are an attraction, just because we get to pit our skills against them in a different area or different style.

Its not that we don't trophy hunt, but we do want to be successful too. We managed to kill the best deer on the Chaparral in the last 10 years at 172+" and 14 points, and have hunted other areas where some studs were taken. On a percentage basis, I can probably kill more 120" deer here in Idaho on the river thru town, but have a chance for bigger ones there in Texas.

If you want to reverse the trip, call anytime and we will give you a taste of Idaho public land hunting.
                          No arguments here. My original comment was meant somewhat jokingly anyways. Glad you enjoy the hunts. I wish I could get to more places to hunt. Always enjoy getting to learn new areas and new styles of hunting. One of the days I’ll have a bit more free time to do some traveling for hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Blank View Post

Sounds like a well thought out and planned way of life you've got going on, impressive.
                            I'd love to take a look at Idaho someday, need to conquer Wyoming and Colorado first as I've just recently started hunting out of state but I'm gonna be interested in a different look in a few years for sure.

Comment

Donated $110. Good luck all.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Comment

Every hunt is an adventure in and of itself. You don’t have to kill to have hunted. It’s about what you enjoy, and learn from the experience. If you’re interested, do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X