Scotch Drinkers, got a ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
    Well looks like I have been doing it all wrong....I have sipped in a lowball glass usually with a good cigar.
    Go get ya a Glencairn glass. Can't post pictures, work has alcohol sites blocked. Here is a link on Amazon. They should be easy to find and are cheap. My wife and my daughter got myself and my daughters boyfriend monogrammed glencairn's for Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
      Well looks like I have been doing it all wrong....I have sipped in a lowball glass usually with a good cigar.
      Nothing wrong with that. But I took a week-long class from a Scottish distiller who challenged the Americans on how they drank Scotch. I never thought about eating chocolate, caramel popcorn, or blue cheese with Scotch. BUT IT'S GREAT.

To each their own, but I'll listen to the guys who make it when I can.

Comment

The wife wants to know how you get past the burn.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas007 View Post
          The wife wants to know how you get past the burn.
          Have her drink some Compass Box Hedonism.

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
            Have her drink some Compass Box Hedonism.
            Looks like I will be making a trip to total wine before the 4th.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas007 View Post
              Looks like I will be making a trip to total wine before the 4th.
              $99 a bottle and worth every penny.

Comment

Glenmorangie Lasanta is pretty good for the money.

Comment

My favorite is Glenfiddich single malt as old as I can afford.

If price were no object I would go with this one:

Comment

I am more of a bourbon guy, but I had some glasses of Monkey Shoulder and it was pretty darn good. I may be wrong but blended scotch is not as much a taboo as blended whiskey is in the bourbon world.....I wanna learn the ways of the Scotch.

Comment

J&B and water about 1:3 is my normal. Johnie Walker black on occasion, I mix a little stronger and “sip”. These Texas single malt whiskeys are very good. No professional here and have never had the “good” stuff. Scotch is no smokier than a jack daniels.

Comment

Originally posted by sboudreaux View Post
                        X2, double wood preferably.

X3 on the double wood. Monkey shoulder is a good option too, a couple ice cubes help cut it and really open it up IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are U drinking striaght or as a drink? My drink of choice is an old fashion with McAllen’s 12yr with sugar cube old school . Guess it depends on what u are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
                            J&B and water about 1:3 is my normal. Johnie Walker black on occasion, I mix a little stronger and “sip”. These Texas single malt whiskeys are very good. No professional here and have never had the “good” stuff. Scotch is no smokier than a jack daniels.
                            Not all Scotch is smokey. "Smokey" Scotch is generally called a "Jura" and is distilled on the island of Jura. Think burning peat to smoke barley before distillation. It's awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                              OK, thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming.

Now how do most people drink Scotch, neat or on the rocks?
                              Honestly - the GlenLivet 12 yr is a great starter.

I started on the McAllen 12 yr and it was a bit to spicy for me (at the time)

The Glenlivett is very well rounded and embodies Scottish whisky well. I really started there and now I will drink just about anything except for the islay region scotches or most blended scotches. The islay region whisky is usually peated and I personally find it terrible and “iodiney”

I very much enjoy the Glenfiddich 14 yr, the glen moray 10 yr Chardonnay cask finish, and the glenmorangie 10 year.

Also - I drink mine neat out of a rocks glass, a splash of water sometimes ups the flavor profile tremendously - but 99.9% of the time for me it’s just two fingers, neat.

Let us know what you find that you like!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                                Never drank Scotch but thought abut tryng it. Suggstions on a decent Scotch to start with or try.
                                First of all whether you start by trying the best or the worst quality it will all taste the same, horrible. Just don’t waste your time get through the first bottle. Then start start tasting other brands. There is a lot of variety out there. My suggestion is below.

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
                                And unless you like really smokey drinks, avoid the scotch's made on Islay.
                                My advice is since your first scotch should be one heavy on the peat. Start with Laphroaig (sp). There are several others out there. If you’re not going to like the first drink anyway just go with something most people will not drink and more importantly, they will not bum it off you! Two cubes of ice, swirl it around once or twice and drink it.

Comment

Working...
                                X