NEED YOUR SUPPORT - Public Hunting Program Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
    None of this will make any difference for deer hunts, but could potentially improve some of the more attractive things that other states don't have such as some of our exotics opportunities. I'm sure it's been said already but the stumbling block is that licenses aren't even on sale yet when most of the draw deadlines hit, so they'd have to revamp their whole system and sell hunting licenses or provide some sort of license voucher through the draw system. I doubt they'll be very open minded about uprooting what everyone's become accustomed to. I think the biggest most powerful change would be to limit the applications to one application per category, let people apply for what they really desire and that'll improve the number of unpaid tags as well because people will be more likely to pay for what they've drawn. I'll send in some feedback to that email once I get a minute to sit down with it, are we targeting a certain date deadline or will next week work?
    One would think an easy solution to the problem of not having the next season's licenses on sale when the draw is open is to allow the sale of next season's license. I can't think of a reason why this would not be doable or allowed.
    Why not allow me to purchase a 2023-2024 license in May/June? Just have the effective dates for the license be for 8/15 on.

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
      One would think an easy solution to the problem of not having the next season's licenses on sale when the draw is open is to allow the sale of next season's license. I can't think of a reason why this would not be doable or allowed.
      Why not allow me to purchase a 2023-2024 license in May/June? Just have the effective dates for the license be for 8/15 on.
      Just an administrative headache, but yeah I agree. They could also sell it and just ship when they're available/valid. The e-license may complicate things worse, them programmers are probably busy these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
        If you've participated in the draw system you will have undoubtedly noticed that the draw odds have decreased over time.
        Not really. I got drawn for four hunts this year thru tpwd.

Comment

I got an auto reply. He'll be back Jan 30th.

Comment

NEED YOUR SUPPORT - Public Hunting Program Changes

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
            Not really. I got drawn for four hunts this year thru tpwd.

How many points did you have an what hunts and categories?

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
              Just an administrative headache, but yeah I agree. They could also sell it and just ship when they're available/valid. The e-license may complicate things worse, them programmers are probably busy these days.
              Draw application deadlines and actual draw dates are not the same, and it should be really easy to work out. Draw application deadline is before license go on sale but draw date is after Aug.15th so the license is included with your successful draw permit.

Cost to apply for hunt X previously $3 + how ever much the permit is if successful.

New way $300(or however much the actual nr license is)+$3+ actual permit fee is if drawn.

Fronting that much $ will make fewer apply and change all of the odds.

Comment

It's bs that licenses don't go on sale til August. You license that you bought last year is still good.

Comment

Done

Comment

Good for you all.
                    Looking forward to the NR seta sides that guarantee us a licenses in your draws, much like other states do.

Not every state requires a licenses to apply, Wyoming does not and we actually give more than the set aside quotas to NR for deer, elk and pronghorn.

I disagree on the buying a license to apply but whole heartedly agree on limiting NR hunts awarded.
                    You all may be more angry though if they decide to set aside some tags for NR. guaranteeing some NRs a hunt.

Any of these drawn hunts on public land, federal land? If so then we have the same argument as some of you, I own that land just like residents of Texas, I should have a guarantee to hunt it. That is the argument going on with hunting and licenses on federal lands out West, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
                    State lands, I lived there and paid taxes for years before moving, I should get some consideration for those hunts on state lands too as a NR.

Actually I don't believe the argument I posted but did it to show the various arguments to be made.
                    I do agree that NRs should pay more for the hunts though, some are very cheap and should not be that way for NRs.

Thanks for the link, my comments are going in too.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                      Good for you all.
                      Looking forward to the NR seta sides that guarantee us a licenses in your draws, much like other states do.

Not every state requires a licenses to apply, Wyoming does not and we actually give more than the set aside quotas to NR for deer, elk and pronghorn.

I disagree on the buying a license to apply but whole heartedly agree on limiting NR hunts awarded.
                      You all may be more angry though if they decide to set aside some tags for NR. guaranteeing some NRs a hunt.

Any of these drawn hunts on public land, federal land? If so then we have the same argument as some of you, I own that land just like residents of Texas, I should have a guarantee to hunt it. That is the argument going on with hunting and licenses on federal lands out West, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
                      State lands, I lived there and paid taxes for years before moving, I should get some consideration for those hunts on state lands too as a NR.

Actually I don't believe the argument I posted but did it to show the various arguments to be made.
                      I do agree that NRs should pay more for the hunts though, some are very cheap and should not be that way for NRs.

Thanks for the link, my comments are going in too.
                      Exactly, Texas is a State with a very large hunting population so nonresident hunters are not taking a disproportionate portion of the draw tags from residents. A low population state like New Mexico or Wyoming needs quotas to ensure residents draw a majority of the their tags.

Comment

I personally do not support out of state hunters having to pay for a license before they draw a hunt, to me for them to have to pay for a license on a hunt they may not (likely wont) draw is unnecessary. If they draw a hunt, then they buy a license is how I feel it should be, their license is already more than us residents. It isnt like non residents make up a very large percentage of draw hunt participants to begin with

I would support non resident draw applications being more than resident, say double the price for them. So a $3 draw for us would be $6 for them
                        Last edited by Javelin; 01-26-2023, 11:15 AM.

Comment

I got an email from TP&W today, with a survey about the draw hunt system. It even had a few places to add my 2 cents.

Comment

with the long odds of drawing a Texas hunt I would be pretty shocked if very many NR put in but I could be wrong on that. I agree with requiring everyone putting in pay upfront for license but be refunded minus X service fee if not drawn. I think any state that requires a non refundable license to put in for a draw is in the wrong but good luck changing that with all the money it brings in but those are also more desirable states with quite abit of public land......I wasn't aware of the non hunters putting in but that helps the standby hunters at the hunt if they no show...I know when I hunted the Chap all the standby hunters there got to hunt but that was years ago and after that hunt never put in again as wasn't impressed, the staff was great and helpful though.....

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                              It's bs that licenses don't go on sale til August. You license that you bought last year is still good.

I thought the primary concern was non residents. And they wont have a license from the previous year before they apply for a draw.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddy590 View Post
                                If you really want to increase draw odds you should ask to go back to the old way which was to limit the number of applications per category to one.
                                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                I write this in every year on my survey.

Comment

Working...
                                X