Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEED YOUR SUPPORT - Public Hunting Program Changes

Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is aimed at those of you who participate in the Public Hunt draw system here in Texas. If you've participated in the draw system you will have undoubtedly noticed that the draw odds have decreased over time.

The draw system does not require a license to enter. But what you may not realize is that the system does not require non-residents to have a license to apply either.

Oklahoma requires the purchase of either a 5 day non-resident hunting license or a controlled hunt license for the entire season to enter their public hunt drawings, such as MCAAP. New Mexico requires the full fee up front and then refunds a large portion of it if you aren't drawn.

Requiring a license PRIOR to entering the draw is only leveling the playing field for residents, and would also increase revenue while making sure that there is at least some level of "skin in the game".

Both myself, Mr. Public, and several others are asking that you copy the template provided in the following comment, write in your name and email it to Kevin.Mote@Tpwd.Texas.gov

Copy and Paste in your email:

Kevin Mote
    Program Director, Private Lands and Public Hunting
    Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
    4200 Smith School Road
    Austin, TX 78744
    (512) 389-4395 Office
    kevin.mote@tpwd.texas.gov

Dear Mr. Mote,

I, (Your Name Here), would like to add my support for the following changes to the current Texas Public Hunt System to protect the hunting opportunities of native resident Texans.

1) Require the purchase of a hunting license for non-resident hunters prior to participating in any of the TPWD online draw hunts. As it currently stands, New Mexico and Oklahoma both require the purchase of a resident or non-resident hunting license before participating in their public hunt system.

2) Require the purchase of a hunting license for resident hunters prior to participating in any of the TPWD online draw hunts. This may be more difficult to enact due to new license sales dates. However, it has been demonstrated in other entities that conduct public hunt drawings (example: U.S. Army Corp of Engineers) that anti-hunting groups have put in for drawings in order to deny access to hunters. Requiring a hunting license and the subsequent hunter’s safety course requirement has shown to be a barrier to such actions.

These simple actions would accomplish protecting the rights of resident hunters while also generating significantly more revenue for TPWD. Please take these changes into consideration.
    Respectfully,
    (Your Name Here)

Comment

Is #2 requiring all Texans who apply also buy a hunting license prior to getting drawn?

If so, I agree with #1 but not with #2 although I see why you want #2..

#2 is good if you have a private place to hunt and you still have to buy a hunting license because you will use it for private land if your not selected on a draw hunt but if your like many that don't hunt private land then its not worth it for us that don't hunt unless selected for a draw hunt.

Would also add that they should add some porta potties in hunt areas for hunters, especially on youth hunts
      Last edited by RiverRat00; 01-21-2023, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
        Is #2 requiring all Texans who apply also buy a hunting license prior to getting drawn?

If so, I agree with #1 but not with #2 although I see why you want #2..

#2 is good if you have a private place to hunt and you still have to buy a hunting license because you will use it for private land if your not selected on a draw hunt but if your like many that don't hunt private land then its not worth it for us that don't hunt unless selected for a draw hunt.
        Every other state requires that and its $25. You're gonna buy it anyway if you get drawn. Small price to pay to keep anti-hunters off the drawing. As mentioned in the letter, anti-hunters have been putting in for public hunt drawings on several Corp of Engineer properties that I know of just in North Texas alone. They had to start requiring proof of a hunting license to counteract that, unfortunately.
        Last edited by Kirby86; 01-21-2023, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
          Every other state requires that and its $25. You're gonna buy it anyway if you get drawn. Small price to pay to keep anti-hunters off the drawing. As mentioned in the letter, anti-hunters have been putting in for public hunt drawings on several Corp of Engineer properties that I know of just in North Texas alone. They had to start requiring proof of a hunting license to counteract that, unfortunately.
          Although I don’t participate in the draws, I agree with this. ^^^

Comment

Done

Comment

Is Texas going to allocate a certain percentage of their tags to a non resident pool?

Comment

I agree, the only aspect I can think of is that the draw typically comes out in July but license sales for the upcoming year do not go on sale till September. Maybe license sales could happen sooner?

Comment

Also, thanks for putting something like this together. I would much rather this happen sooner before it really gets out of hand with more and more nonresidents applying for such a cheap draw system with the opportunity to go after everything from Nilgai, Orynx, deer, alligator, etc.. that other states don't have

Comment

#3 only allow up to 10% of draw permits awarded to NR hunters. Other states do it so why shouldn’t Texas

Honestly if they raised application prices or only allowed one app per category and required a license prior to applying it would knock down the ridiculous odds a bit.
                    Last edited by diamond10x; 01-21-2023, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                      #3 only allow up to 10% of draw permits awarded to NR hunters. Other states do it so why shouldn’t Texas

Honestly if they raised application prices or only allowed one app per category and required a license prior to applying it would knock down the ridiculous odds a bit.
                      IN Kirby!

Agree with the 90/10 rule since other states are doing it anyway. Don’t agree with the one per category though.

Comment

Do you think 10% of the drawn Hunter's are from out of state. I wouldn't think so but don't know for sure. Are those stats somewhere? I get tired of putting all these miles on my truck for a chance for a standby. Why couldn't tpwd have standby already selected like pending seconding draw. Saying standby first, second, third, fourth etc and when tpwd gets contacted someone is not going to make the hunt the standby 1 would be contacted. If they can't attend then go to next standby etc. if you refused it you would not lose your preference points unless you go on the hunt. This sure would save me money but I would sure miss visiting with my standby buddies.

Comment

For your email submittal

Subject Title - Request for Consideration: Texas Draw Hunts

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
                            Every other state requires that and its $25.
                            Just to be clear, your argument is that "every other state" besides Texas required out of state hunters to purchase a hunting license prior to submitting an application for draw tags?

Comment

Completely agree.

Comment

Working...
                              X