No announcement yet.

Deer Ducking Arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure about the amount of arrow noise being the problem as opposed to the kind of noise the arrow makes. I have shot string trackers for close to 40 years. The noise I hear as the string comes out of the center of the spool seems to be much louder than the noise an arrow makes with out it. Even so, I hardly ever have a deer move before the arrow gets there. I've even missed high and the string was laying on the deer's back and they didn't move. I think the string noise covers the arrow noise and is a more natural sound and doesn't alarm them.

I do think compounds make a more unnatural noise and the deer move more than they do with stick bows. At least all the videos posted on here seem to show that.

Comment

The bow from Randy makes a low, dull thump so I doubt it will be an issue. However being able to shoot vanes provides other benefits as well.

Gary

Comment

So, what you are saying is that we need a silent and invisible arrow, right?

Something to think about; I was shooting with a friend several years ago and I was shooting a Cedar shaft with 4 x 4" parabolics on 90 Degrees. My buddy was behind a tree, just to the right of the target to see when he could hear the arrow. With the 4 x 4" Parabolics, he said it was almost silent. We then tried other scenarios, 3 x 5" Shields, 3 x 5 1/5" shields, 3 x 5" Parabolics but by far the 4 x 4" was the most quiet. This begs the question...Why am I looking at my arrow bucket with not one arrow fitted as described?

Time to start scraping off some fletchings. Good hunting.

Doug Key

Comment

Some deer have Matrix moves and some do not.

Comment

Originally posted by splitfinger View Post
            So, what you are saying is that we need a silent and invisible arrow, right?

Doug Key
            No, not exactly.

I'm more in the "I believe in make everything, including the arrow in flight as quite as you can get it" camp, and that is what I am sharing.

Visibility (deer seeing the arrow) is of less concern to me, but it can't hurt to cut down on that visibility as much as you can.

Rick

Comment

I don't recommend doing this....disclaimer
              but stand down range of a bow and have someone shoot an arrow past you. It is surprisingly loud. Different broad heads make different noises.

Comment

Originally posted by the marshall View Post
                but stand down range of a bow and have someone shoot an arrow past you. It is surprisingly loud. Different broad heads make different noises.
                When I started playing with adjusting arrow noise to get the flight quieter, one of the things/adjustements it "eventually" lead me to was to stop using vented blade broadheads. I shoot strictly non vented/solid blade heads now, and they definitely are quieter in flight by a lot.

Rick

Comment

And yet some of the most expensive and vaunted heads in the world are vented heads. [emoji848]

Gary

Comment

Yep

As do different vanes.

I don't know what to do now, so confused.

Comment

I’d be curious to see how much a deer would duck if you’d shot an arrow from your stand but in the opposite direction.

Comment

You could gather this info safely by setting up a video- or phone-cam to shoot past near a target at 15 yards, or so.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

When I hunted from trees I would never shoot if I could see any part of the deer’s eye. When I started hunting from pop up and box blinds I figured that they could not see me draw so it did not matter.

I was wrong. They then could hear and see the arrow. I went back to not shooting deer looking in my direction.

Comment

Originally posted by M.E.B. View Post
                            When I hunted from trees I would never shoot if I could see any part of the deer’s eye. When I started hunting from pop up and box blinds I figured that they could not see me draw so it did not matter.

I was wrong. They then could hear and see the arrow. I went back to not shooting deer looking in my direction.
                            This reminds me of the signs on the back of big trucks stating: if you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you. Nice shooting guideline regarding deer eyes.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

Takin’ notes over here Boss.

Comment

Not sure if this will add much to the discussion, but I found it very informational in relation to deer drop, and ducking.

Comment

Working...
                                X