Chainsaw Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chainsaw Question

I have a Husqvarna 445 chainsaw and it is not cutting good. After a little while it starts to smoke a little. Using Premixed 50:1 truefuel, the bar oil reservoir is full and i can tell oil is getting to the bar. Chain is fairly new and i'm going to try a new chain this weekend.
    Is this a bad clutch?

What's smoking? The chain or the motor? My chain will smoke if it's not getting enough bar oil.

Comment

I looks to be around the bar/clutch area. Motor seems to be running good.
      I think it is getting enough oil on bar as it sprays it some when cutting.

Comment

are you sure your chain, sproket, and bar are all the same pitch & teeth count?

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
          are you sure your chain, sproket, and bar are all the same pitch & teeth count?
          Yes. I have been using the same bar and chains for a while and just resharpen the blades. This just started the last 2 times i have used it.
          Saw is over 5 years old and has worked great prior to this.

Comment

might need to change the bar too. The chain groove can get waller'd out, or even pinched.
            Is there discoloration in the bar?

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
              Yes. I have been using the same bar and chains for a while and just resharpen the blades. This just started the last 2 times i have used it.
              Saw is over 5 years old and has worked great prior to this.
              when you said chain was fairly new in the original post it made me wonder if it had a different pitch. I've seen a pitch mismatch on sprocket & chain cause similar issue to what you are describing.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                when you said chain was fairly new in the original post it made me wonder if it had a different pitch. I've seen a pitch mismatch on sprocket & chain cause similar issue to what you are describing.
                I will verify again but been buying the same Oregon blades the last couple of years.
                I just put a new bar on as well because i though the old one might have gotten a little bent or something.

going to try the new blade that came with the new bar this weekend. If still a problem, going to sell this one cheap and buy a new one.

Comment

Does the sprocket on the end of your bar spin freely?

Comment

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post
                    might need to change the bar too. The chain groove can get waller'd out, or even pinched.
                    Is there discoloration in the bar?
                    Yeah. The bar gets abused more than you think. I had similar issues and after replacing the bar it was like a brand new saw. I'm no expert on saws though.

Comment

Make sure your sprocket and clutch drum spins freely as said. Also sprockets wear out too. You should typically lose about 3/4 a tank of bar oil to 1 tank of gas. Dulled out chain will also smoke.

Comment

Thanks guys.
                        I will check the sprocket and clutch drum. Going to put a new chain on as well and give it a go this weekend.

Comment

Just an idea.........
                          Might check, your emergency brake.......
                          Sometimes, they get really dirty, or gummed up, or just crud in them..
                          This wont allow the chain to spin freely......
                          And will cause it to smoke too..........

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                            Just an idea.........
                            Might check, your emergency brake.......
                            Sometimes, they get really dirty, or gummed up, or just crud in them..
                            This wont allow the chain to spin freely......
                            And will cause it to smoke too..........
                            Will check this as well. I can spin it by hand though.

Comment

Something is binding the chain/bar when putting side plate on. Everything turns smooth and then I put the side plate on it will turn and then catch, turn then catch where you can barely get it to turn.

Comment

Working...
                              X