Which arrow???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which arrow???

I am looking at getting some Gold Tip carbons to shoot out of my Thunderhorn III, 45@28, FF and my draw length is 28 or a hair over. Planning on them being 29" long with a 135 Zwickey broadhead.
    Do I get 400 or 500 spine, the chart says 400.
    Thanks in advance,
    Grits

The only way you are likely to get a .400 to work at 29” would be to put a whole lot of weight up front, like 300-400gr. I think the .500 would likely need extra weight up front too if your draw weight is 45#.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I agree with Bisch. My longbow is 54@28. Easton axis traditional arrows cut to 30.75. They are 400 spine. I have 225 grains up front. They fly like darts. I would think you would need a 500 spine.

Comment

Thanks for the info. What about a 600?

Comment

Plug your info into the three Rivers calculator. Seemed to get mine really close.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't know how the rest on that bow is cut (relative to center.) I am shooting a bow that is past center and I am shooing a bow that is slightly heavier with 29" arrows and I am using .500 with 50-100 extra grains up front than what you have. But every bow is a little different.

I would probably stick with .500 spine... and start an inch longer (30") and trim/add weight as you see fit. The thing I don't like about 600 spine is they seem much harder to find in the heavier shaft weights.

Comment

And one thing... if you go with .500 and start at full length and if you can't get them tuned with adding more weight, etc... it is so much easier to sell long/uncut arrows than it is ones you have cut down short.

Comment

Thanks again guys! I have used the calculator on 3Rivers and Stu's Calculator and they never seem to get it right, sometimes close other times not so close.
                Grits

Comment

For reference.

I shoot 400's out of a 55@26.
                  With 275gr up front.

I shoot 500's out of a 47@26
                  With 175gr up front.

On a side note: You can't plan to leave them certain length. You need to tune them to where you need them. 1/4" in arrow length will make a difference in your setup.

Comment

600 fly great out of my 45 lb bow, i use the gold tip trads with the pdf weights with the tuneable nocks and inserts. The weights come in 5,10, 25 grains. You can get the arrows to fly like darts with out feathers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

My satori is 45@28 but I’m drawing right around 29... 400s were way stiff and I even tried some massive tip weight (300 +75gr brass insert). I ended up tuning out perfect with a full length 500spine with 75 brass insert and 150gr tips.

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
                        My satori is 45@28 but I’m drawing right around 29... 400s were way stiff and I even tried some massive tip weight (300 +75gr brass insert). I ended up tuning out perfect with a full length 500spine with 75 brass insert and 150gr tips.

That sounds very familiar, Same setup for my 45 drawing 29 inches

Comment

I’m shooting 400’s , 300 grains up front, 29.25 draw length, 31.5 inch arrows, right at 50lbs, bare shaft great, fletched up really well, Sarrels SR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The gold tip chart is way misleading. I know from experience.

Comment

Remember, the charts are just a guide. Not gospel. Experiment and find what is right for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X