The 2021 Thermal and Night Vision Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    It looks like the ones we’ve been using are Trail XQ38s, which appear to be out of production...

The Thermion XQ38 appears to be the same beast in a different skin, but **** that thing is huge!

Is it awkward at that size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I just mine in last week and it’s basically the same size as a day scope. It’s probably a tad bigger. Haven’t mounted it yet but I’ve never liked the block style thermals.

Comment

Originally posted by rossivey View Post
      I just mine in last week and it’s basically the same size as a day scope. It’s probably a tad bigger. Haven’t mounted it yet but I’ve never liked the block style thermals.

What type of rifle are you bolting it on?

Comment

Originally posted by dale moser View Post
        what type of rifle are you bolting it on?

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
        ar-15

Comment

It looks like the ones we’ve been using are Trail XQ38s, which appear to be out of production...

The Thermion XQ38 appears to be the same beast in a different skin, but **** that thing is huge!

Best thing to do cuz is call Jason and make sure you got time to Jaw. He’s from deep east Texas and can talk longer then me [emoji23]

But he’ll get you on the right rig for budget/use, there’s a ton more options since the trails came out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

They’re definitely a bit large, but not overly so for most purposes. This a smaller CZ 457 Rimfire, and while a little large on this rifle it’s more at home on centerfires.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D90E57BF-B855-4031-AB1D-D384EE727ABE.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	480.9 KB
ID:	24645451

Comment

I’ve got a trail xq38 and thermion XG50.. I would not recommend the thermion for scanning then attaching to your gun to shoot..
              To me the trails are much less cumbersome to use when scanning

Comment

See, this is how I get in trouble.

kids birthday or Christmas always flies though. especially after you show them some YouTube videos of it and get them fired up about it because they gonna tell momma that's what they want when she ask.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

The 2021 Thermal and Night Vision Thread

I had a Trail XQ38 (mounted) and a Core RXQ30V (used as a scanner/loaner). I sold both and hopefully I’m getting a Thermion 2 XQ38 and an AGM Rattler TS35. In the interim I bought a Wraith 2x with a Sniper Hog Light (66) and hopefully my Rattler will be in soon. I’ll have the Wraith mounted and scan with the Rattler and I think this will be a very workable solution until my Thermion comes in. Once it comes in, it will be mounted on an AR-15 and the Wraith will probably be sold.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
                    I have been using a wraith since 2019 and they work great for hunting out of a stand. I have killed tons of pigs and a few other critters. My kids have also killed deer using the wraith (during the day) with full color video. It helps to go back and see where they were actually holding vs where they thought they were holding. The wraith isn't the greatest for scanning and finding animals but it is great for once you get on them or at a feeder. I just added a thermal monocular but haven't hunted with it yet. I will this weekend and I'll update but I think it will add a lot. I think the thermal will help a lot spotting game and I won't be swinging my gun while looking. The wraith's add quite a bit of weight to the gun though when you factor in the IR light. You can go this route for less than $2k which is what I have done. Some on here will tell you buy once cry once and talk down the wraith, etc. That may be true for some but I have been more than happy with what the Wraith provides and how I use it. It will only get better in my opinion with the monocular.
                    you're going to be kicking yourself for not getting a thermal monocular the day after you purchased the wraith. haha

another awesome use for a thermal monocular is animal recovery. not mentioned much, but an awesome tool to have when kids (or us) make a marginal shot and you are walking through the woods at night looking for dead critters.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                      kids birthday or Christmas always flies though. especially after you show them some YouTube videos of it and get them fired up about it because they gonna tell momma that's what they want when she ask.

He’s already shot a few pigs with my buddy’s thermal.

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post
                        I had a Trail XQ38 (mounted) and a Core RXQ30V (used as a scanner/loaner). I sold both and hopefully I’m getting a Thermion 2 XQ38 and an AGM Rattler TS35. In the interim I bought a Wraith 2x with a Sniper Hog Light (66) and hopefully my Rattler will be in soon. I’ll have the Wraith mounted and scan with the Rattler and I think this will be a very workable solution until my Thermion comes in. Once it comes in, it will be mounted on an AR-15 and the Wraith will probably be sold.
                        Buy once cry once!

I always tell people buy what you want the first time. Like used trucks, you always lose money selling used thermals and upgrading unless getting them tax free and with a discount

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                          Buy once cry once!

I always tell people buy what you want the first time. Like used trucks, you always lose money selling used thermals and upgrading unless getting them tax free and with a discount

I was good with what I had but they were approaching 3 years old so I decided to sell and buy similar but newer optics.

Comment

well, the AGM taipan 15 came in today, all i can say is wow! for the price , this thing is cool! gonna make a great spotter I think ... i'll try to post a video later when its finished charging ... and i guess i'm gonna find out if it works on a mac , if not , looks like i can also record on an ipad .. just have to play the transfer game on it ... we'll see..

Comment

Looks like people on other forums are starting to take a big dump all over the new iray rico...hmm

Comment

Originally posted by Anon View Post
                                Looks like people on other forums are starting to take a big dump all over the new iray rico...hmm
                                If by people you mean 2-3 people who have actually owned and used them, I'll buy that and if you mean people who've never looked through them but can't wait to bash them, I'll buy that too. What I don't buy is that very many people who own one and are using it are dumping on it.

There have been a ton of Rico 640's sold in the last 3 weeks, more than any high end thermal scope ever sold in that short of a time period. The reason is simply because iRay had the inventory sitting there waiting for the launch and other manufacturers don't have those kind of quantities available on Day 1. The closest thing would the Thermion XG50 launch because Pulsar had stockpiled them waiting for the release and supplied several of us with really good quantities of them.

I sold a very large amount of XG50's and Rico 640's both in a very short time period. Trust me....there will always be people who buy a scope and aren't happy, don't like it, have a small problem or have a big problem and you'll hear about it from a lot of them. What you won't hear is how great it is from the other 98% of users. That goes for many brands. I've seen nothing from the Rico launch or usage that is any reason for concern.

The scope that was posted on the YoutTube video as possibly having the lag or delay....it's been tested by iRay and has no issue at all. I sold that scope to a very good long time customer of mine but his test was flawed and he was mistaken, which is not the end of the world, we all make mistakes. I have video proof the scope is not defective (willing to share if people would like the proof) and that exact scope is about to mounted on my rifle and I will be using it as my own personal scope. It's had no updates and no changes made to it at all and I'm 100% confident in it.

The Rico is a heck of a scope. It is not (in my humble opinion) the best scope ever made or the best image quality available but I do believe it's a very good value and has an absolutely amazing image quality and feature set for it's $6,000 price tag.

The great thing is we have more options than ever in the high end thermal category, the Thermion XG50, Rico 640, N-Vision NOX's, Halo LR, Halo-X models and all the Trijicons.

Just my 2 cents having been using all these scopes in field, including the Rico for many months.

Comment

Working...
                                X