Handles: Solid vs. Laminated vs. Phenolic/Micarta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handles: Solid vs. Laminated vs. Phenolic/Micarta

With wood, strength depends on species of wood and other factors. But all else being equal: Which is the strongest and least prone to cracking? Solid wood, laminated wood, or phenolic/micarta?

I’m no bowyer, but I would think phenolic would be the strongest. It would also be much heavier mass weight.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Also, you are getting yourself all worked up because you had a riser crack. I’ve owned a LOT of bows and only had one riser break out of all of them.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
        Also, you are getting yourself all worked up because you had a riser crack. I’ve owned a LOT of bows and only had one riser break out of all of them.

Bisch

That's it alright. Gonna mess-up a couple of 300+ 3D scores this weekend over at Chester!

The mass weight is a concern, but I'm not in the Senior/Geezer class just yet. I think I can tote an extra 1# if I need to. And....it might steady me down some from all those left hooks I was shooting at Cowtown.
        Last edited by SJP51; 05-18-2021, 05:11 PM.

Comment

When looking for strength and mass weight G10 is your friend!
          Stronger, heavier, and less flex than phenolic

Comment

Micarta and rucarta in the handle makes for less hand shock, a quieter shooting bow. More weight in the handle will make you shoot better as it is steadier and you will have less hand torque. I don't want the whole handle to be micarta as it would be too heavy but a good portion of it would be a good thing to me.

Comment

I’ve settled on solid micarta risers and won’t look back. Having a pretty bow is nice and that’s what some put at the top of their preferences but for me a bow with more mass weight is what I want. As far as structural integrity obviously the micarta/phenolic or G10 will be the strongest, but like Bisch said above, I really think you’re in your head over the wood risers. I’ve shot a lot of wood riser bows and treated them like a tool (I’m rough on bows) and never had a riser issue. It happens but it’s not the norm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You don’t have to go all g10 or phenolic for mass weight.
                I incorporate a lot of nice woods into my risers with g10 for added strength, mass weight, and for looks.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

G10 may be good stuff. And iblikebit in there. But a good bowyer hides it. A great bowyer hides it well.[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

See a great bowyer makes it strong, but purty. Solid, shock free and a work of art.[emoji6][emoji846]
                      Thanx Randy!Click image for larger version

Name:	20210519_173412.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	24652752Click image for larger version

Name:	20210519_173417.jpg
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	24652753Click image for larger version

Name:	20210519_173430.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	24652754

Comment

DRT: Is that one of your PrimalTech bows? Does that riser have Micarta hidden in there somewhere?

Comment

I think it's G10. But yes, it is my PT. But then again I can't tell you what the veneers and wood ar. One thing Randy and I discussed was I didn't like the mix look or the white lines. He did a heck of a job.
                          I had always said I wouldn't buy a pretty bow. Sometimes I just like to look at it hanging on the rack between ends.

Comment

I have quite a few old bows with Micarta, and even one that is solid micarta. Personally I love the look of the Black Micarta if done well / complements the woods and inlays used in riser. I dont like the solid micarta- too bland. A heavy riser makes a noticeable difference in how bow shoots for me. Micarta is just "resin and fiber"- fiber can be canvas or linen or fiberglass or carbon fiber/kevlar/etc.. in general they are all going to be stronger than wood, and sometimes dramatically stronger.

Next up are the laminated woods, particularly the ones that are impregnated with resin.. used to be called futurewood. I have a Rossing Riser from this type of material. He made it "big".. almost too heavy for me to shoot, but darn is it stable. These can also be quite pretty... mine is gorgeous, and it is actually hard to tell it is a laminated riser without really checking.

After that come natural woods.

I like the weight of the micarta and futurewood laminates. It cannot hurt for strength either. Keep in mind that a $5 sling will do more for accuracy than any expensive / heavy riser, and a lighter bow can be a blessing at the end of a long day.

Comment

Working...
                            X