No announcement yet.

Axis map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone please suggest a good realtor for "axis country", a realtor that can cover all the counties?

Comment

Originally posted by BtheBuck View Post
      Can someone please suggest a good realtor for "axis country", a realtor that can cover all the counties?
      Talk to Chance Love

Comment

Bumping this old thread, as I'm just starting to look for Hill Country retirement land (a home with hunting allowed on the property). I know the axis range has continued to spread over what it was "way" back in 2014, but not sure to what extent. I'd like updates in particular on Kendall, Gillespie and Mason counties, if anyone has recent sightings or kills to provide info on. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
          The Hill Country.

The axis deer was first introduced into Texas in the 1930s and now occurs in at least forty-five counties. Largest numbers occur on the Edwards Plateau, where the semiopen, dry scrub forest vegetation resembles that of its native habitat in India.

Link from where I took info.
          https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/...articles/tca03
          I don't know where they got that, but it's false. Axis deer in India live in wet, tropical forests. Yes, they've adapted well to the Edwards Plateau, but it really doesn't resemble where they're from.

Comment

I wish they would get a lot more cold tolerant and come to southern Oklahoma

Comment

Originally posted by mcbZX225 View Post
              I wish they would get a lot more cold tolerant and come to southern Oklahoma
              They do seem to be much more cold tolerant than blackbuck. They don't, however, seem to be able to see incoming vehicles well, as anyone who travels state hwy 55 could attest.

Comment

I have my land now and it’s technically in the Edwards plateau but the very northern tip of it. I haven’t seen any axis on my place but I have seen them within about 5 miles of my place.

Here’s to hoping!

Comment

I saw a herd of 35 or more along the Sabinal River in Sabinal. i have also seen one dead on the road between Hondo and Bandera. There also has been a herd seen south of Hondo along the live oak slough as well as some along the Hondo Creek south of Hondo.

Not highly concentrated like the plateau but they are moving south for sure.

Edit/Update; Just went and looked and saw 8 to 10 100 yds from the city limits of Sabinal.
                  Last edited by mastercraftka; 02-04-2020, 01:29 PM.

Comment

I did get some interesting info recently from the Hill Country Alliance. They note that on a recent spotlight survey on the Cave Creek Wildlife Management Association area in eastern Gillespie County, a 3-night run picked up a total of 347 whitetails . . . and 546 axis.

Comment

Axis map

Room for Error: Extend any potion of this line E,W,S, or N 20-40 miles to please the masses

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                        I don't know where they got that, but it's false. Axis deer in India live in wet, tropical forests. Yes, they've adapted well to the Edwards Plateau, but it really doesn't resemble where they're from.
                        Exactly. They are all over the Hill Country because that's where all the high fence ranches with exotics started, and they've escaped here and there for a few decades. Same thing is happening in other parts of the state now. In a couple decades, they'll likely be widespread over most of the state. Saw one dead on the side of the road just outside Abilene the other day.

Comment

we hunt in Kendall county and regularly see groups of 50 plus

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
                            I've seen axis in Tom Green also. Free range axis.
                            I saw some free range in southern Coke County this year along with talking to someone that had them on their place free range in Tennyson, I kind of hope they turn up at our lease sometime.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	WGI_0075.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	24607971

Click image for larger version

Name:	WGI_0022.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	24607972

in Edwards county my axis outnumber the whitetail 3 to 1

Comment

I saw a doe Sunday with 5 fawns. Now, there may have been another doe somewhere nearby, but that would still mean one had twins and the other triplets. They are outbreeding whitetails.

Comment

Working...
                                X