Shot a 10 pt this evening :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shot a 10 pt this evening :(

Well I shot the biggest buck of my life this evening and after I shot the buck he didn't even know he was hit. He slowly walked off acting funny. I climbed down 20 minutes after I shot him I was hunting at my house on 85 acres in Harris county. Well I shot the deer with a 2 blade rage, He was pouring blood at the beginning then would turn into little specs then pour blood.
    When I shot the buck he was quartering away I hit him far back and exited low behind the shoulder.
    But long story short I been tracking him since 8 till around 10 followed blood trail into nasty thick brush to were I was on my hands and knees and could not find anymore. The last blood I found was about the size of the top of a cole can. I decided to go in the morning, he was headed toward the river. Guessing because that's the only water in the woods right now.
    But I can't describe the disappointment I have right now.
    From the smell of my arrow it went through the guts but the blood was bright red and looked like it was coming out his nose. What do y'all tbh'ers think?

It's gonna be a long night but just let him go. Look again in the morning once you get some better light. Good luck bud. We've all been there. Keep us updated

Comment

If you don't find him early call someone of the blood tracking dog list. Nevermind, I see where harris County is NOT a legal county to use a tracking dog.
      Last edited by Froggy; 10-13-2011, 10:31 PM. Reason: Error. Harris County = notlegal

Comment

go back to last blood in the morning and move as slow as you can........and then move slower.......pay attention to every last detail........broken branches, branches/leaves/sticks/limbs/twigs pushed into unnatural positions leaves and debris turned over exposing fresh earth etc.........good luck........wish I was closer I would offer assistance.........also if no other options are available have you thought about using a dog? there is a sticky with dog handlers and tracking dog info, im sure there is someone around your area that can help.........good luck and I hope you recover your deer

Comment

dang man! keep up the search!

Comment

Sounds like you only got one lung, hope you didnt bump him. They can run a long ways on a single lung but will lay down as die eventually.

Comment

It sucks, but like said above, it has happened to most of us one time or another. I hope you find him in the morning!

Good luck,

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
                If you don't find him early call someone of the blood tracking dog list.
                Don't mean to be a killjoy but I believe the use tracking of tracking dogs in Harris County is illegal. Sounds like the deers hit well. Let him sit overnight and have a go in the morning. Good luck and keep us posted!

Comment

Kenny Wall
                  281-844-0969
                  $100 show/$150 recovery
                  Galveston County +2 hours/Gonzalez County +2 hours

Comment

Back out and wait till sun up. We won't be too far if he's bleeding that good.

Comment

I put flagging up on last blood and I'm going at first light in the morning. I have a beagle but have never tried him on a deer,but I am in the a.m!
                      One good thing is he was headed to a place where there is a big curve in the river so it's like a peninsula. There was at moments for around 20 yards to were I wouldn't even jab to bend my back to look for blood just pouring out. Also I did not get a pass through the arrow fell out after 150 yds of tracking.
                      Thank y'all for the luck if I find him I'll post pics if not I'll update y'all of me pouting like a 5 year old.

Comment

A 2" hole all the way through his body... He's dead brother! It's just a matter of finding him now. Hind sight is 20/20 but it sure would've been better to back out from the start. Go back in the morning and post LDP's

Comment

Keep us updated brother. Wish I didn't have to work in the morning or I would be there to help you. I live about 15 minutes away and I have a yellow lab that loves to go for walks and find treats at the end.

Comment

That bites, Hope you find him in the morning...good luck with the recovery.

Comment

Hope you find him.

Comment

Working...
                              X