Big Lake Bottom WMA E-Postcard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Lake Bottom WMA E-Postcard

Hey y'all, I just got drawn for the Big Lake Bottom WMA bow hunt, 9/28/2018 through 10/7/2018. I have never hunted it or been in the area before. Any knowledge or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jake

Originally posted by jakefromtx View Post
    Hey y'all, I just got drawn for the Big Lake Bottom WMA bow hunt, 9/28/2018 through 10/7/2018. I have never hunted it or been in the area before. Any knowledge or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jake
    Call the bio. He's a heck of a nice guy.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Make sure to bring an ATV or side by side. You won’t want to walk all that area. Don’t waste your time with corn or bait. Entirely to much natural food sources out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Make certain that you have a fully stocked thermacell with extra pads and fuel. The mosquitos are serious. An atv or utv will help out tremendously. The bio and the tech that work there are good dudes, they’ll try to steer you right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Same here
          Last edited by cizzle210; 09-04-2018, 11:25 PM.

Comment

I got drawn on that same timeframe. Nice to see other TBH guys out there. Best of luck I plan to take a walk about the weekend before to get a lay of the land.

Comment

I got drawn for the 2nd year in a row, this time the first week of November. As others have said above the TPWD staff are very accommodating and they will help you out with any specific questions or requests you may have. The TPWD team has done a tremendous job clearing up roads, as long as it hasn't rained you can traverse most anywhere with a 4x4 truck. If its wet at all, however, you're going to either need an ATV or hoof it.

Last year I was drawn for the first (adult) hunt - starting last week of September and it was a tough row. The bucks weren't rutting and if you wanted to get on them you'd have needed be doing your due diligence ahead of time. The WMA is open year round (with exception of hunt weekends) and I'd highly recommend scouting in advance.

In addition to that - a tree stand is an absolute must-have. There are also a couple of functioning old tower stands nestled away there, that were leftover from when it was private property. Also, as stated above, a thermacell is a mandatory piece of equipment. If you want to stick some pigs while you're out there the West line of the property is covered up in them - but they can be found all over.

Last tidbit - they allow baiting, but dont waste your time hauling a bag of corn out there, they're too used to eating the all the acorns that are available. I did bring a ziploc of corn to toss under my stand, in hopes that it might get something to pause for a second while it was passing by but nothing ever came of it.

Good luck on your hunt, you'll have cell service so post some pics when you get out there!

Comment

Our group of 4 got drawn for 11/30-12/9 period.

Comment

I was drawn for the 11/30 -12/9 as well.

Climbers are allowed correct? I noticed they said non damaging tree stand so I didn't know how they meant by damaging.

Also, is it split up by compartments?

Comment

Myself and 2 hunting buddies were drawn for Oct. 12-21. Looking forward to it. Any advice is appreciated.

Comment

Just me, 9/28/2018 - 10/7/2018

All I have is a 2wd Tundra. Might have to steal something!

Originally posted by Cberry View Post

^^^^THIS^^^^™
                      Last edited by ABWGTX; 09-05-2018, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Climbers are allowed correct? I noticed they said non damaging tree stand so I didn't know how they meant by damaging.

No compartments

Comment

Yes climbers are allowed

Comment

Originally posted by cizzle210 View Post
                            I got drawn on that same timeframe. Nice to see other TBH guys out there. Best of luck I plan to take a walk about the weekend before to get a lay of the land.

You may not be able to unless you go before hunting season.

Comment

I was drawn for nov 16-25th!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X