Pop-up campers in the winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pop-up campers in the winter

Looking at getting on a new lease and don't have a camper. Do pop-ups actually keep you warm with an electric or roof mount heater? I'm just wondering if they are worth the money, or if they are an over priced canvas tent. Also, worried about the durability overall when I take a 4 and 5 year old with me, and don't want them destroying it.

Am I better off just going with a standard travel trailer ?

You would be better off going with a regular trailer

Comment

Depends on where you are. Pretty much any where in TX it will be fine. Not quite as comfy as a hard wall trailer, but certainly livable. Go somewhere where they have real winters and might not. We took one elk hunting in Northern NM. Warmest it ever was the whole hunt was 38*, most nights were well below zero. We were fine, but all of us had done it in tent in much worse weather. Way more comfortable than a tent.

Comment

Kind of rough when it drops into the 20's or lower.

Comment

If you get a pop up look at some of the different pop up forums and people have tips to make them warmer in the winter.

Comment

4 and 5 yr olds can tear up a regular camper as easy as a pop-up.

A regular camper depending on how old it is...... Is more comfortable than the pop-up.

Comment

I have had mine for 6 years now. We were hunting in Fowlerton one winter and it was pretty cold (mid 20's) by South Texas Standards. We just used the on-board heater that runs off the Propane tank and the battery. We were fine. Don't get me wrong, we were not steamy by any means, but very comfortable.

The reason I opted for a pop-up is because anywhere my truck can go, the pop-up can too. I couldn't say that about a hard side. I have NO regrets! Not to mention that it is much easier to tow and store.

Good luck!

Comment

I had one for two years in the northern panhandle. Froze my butt off. Then i sold it.

I'd go w/ the regular. Not sure where you hunt but it does not work in my area. It just gets too cold and the wind blows day and night, makes the canvas pop against the poles. Terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by mathewsbullseye View Post
                  I had one for two years in the northern panhandle. Froze my butt off. Then i sold it.

I'd go w/ the regular. Not sure where you hunt but it does not work in my area. It just gets too cold and the wind blows day and night, makes the canvas pop against the poles. Terrible.
                  X2. I tried 3 different style heaters! This was last winter when temps got to the low 20's several times. I'd go regular!

Comment

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
                    You would be better off going with a regular trailer
                    +1

You can stay warm with a small heater in a pop up but isnt worth it. I have had one destroyed by rats that ate the canvas. I have seen more than one toppled and bent all up from high Texas winds. They are great to haul but not worth it in my opinion.

Comment

Had one the whole time I lived in Colorado. Stayed warm all year long. As stated, could take it places you can't take a hard side. Also, as stated, mice, as well as a leak, wil ruin the canvas.
                      Have a regular camper now, and love it. Would own a popup again in a heart beat, just for the versatility.

Comment

I use to have a pop-up. My son and I took it on a youth hunt near Fredereicksburg a few years ago and the temps got down into the 30's. We couldnt stay warm even with a good electric space heater on the table right next to the bed. Sold it when we got back.

Comment

They're not bad in my opinion, but I do like it colder than most folks. If you can get it parked with some good wind blocks and especially if under a good natural canopy you'll be in good shape. Just like your stand, your set up with a pop up makes a world of difference. There's pros and cons to both when comparing types of trailers, sacrifice one thing, gain another.

Comment

Some good info here. I too had considered a pop-up. I won't be buying one. I can handle heat but I don't like being cold so no pop-ups for me.

Comment

popup=tent on wheels. the one I had yrs ago didnt age well

Comment

Working...
                              X