2019 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 Gardening thread

Well, as suspected all of my lettuces except one died. It’s just too hot still. Now I have an abundance of squash and zucchini plants because a good dozen popped up at will. Bush beans and sugar snaps are starting to look good with pole beans just starting to break the surface.

I believe next month we will buy a bunch of kale and spinach from the coop. Can’t go all season without some greens!

Oh, I took grass and leaf clippings and spread them between the rows. After everything is settled and a few inches tall I will pull it up as mulch.

Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Brazos Hunter; 08-30-2019, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Planted green beans yesterday. Got a little bit of lettuce, spinach, and carrots planted this morning in containers. It works out good so I can keep them in the shade a little until it cools down. Bunching onions started coming up the last couple of days. All of the peppers are going strong and can't keep up with production. Bout to dehydrate a bunch this weekend. And have a couple of watermelons on the vine that came up volunteer from last years crop. Come on fall!

Comment

With it being so dry here in BCS daily watering is a must unfortunately.

Michael

Comment

Started seeds indoors today. Brocolli, Cabbage, Brussel sprouts, Kale and Collard Greens.
          Attached Files

Comment

Finally got the plants in the ground yesterday before this front came our way. These are the same plants we started from seeds above. In this bed we have collards, brocolli and red Russian kale. We also direct sowed beets and lettuce
            Attached Files

Comment

In our southern bed we have more broccoli, cabbage and brussel sprouts. This is my first year doing Brussels and I've heard they can be finicky. As with all brassicas we amended with lots of nitrogen.
              Attached Files

Comment

And finally we have a 10 gal bucket with Carrots seeds. We segregated the carrots as they dont require as much nutrients or nitrogen as our other fall crops do. Will update progress of all beds when progress is shown.
                Attached Files

Comment

That looks really good! I never got around to breaking ground for a Fall garden...
                  Maybe next year!

Comment

Your fall garden is looking good LH10. We just had our first mess of mustard and turnip greens for lunch today. Love me some fresh greens!

Comment

Got mine all cleaned out and ready to be planted. I realized we do not eat a lot of lettuce and kale in this family...so going to pass on those this year. Probably focus on carrotts, collard greens and beets. Anybody else got any unusual/rare vegatables that do well in the winter that I can look into? (to try something new).

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        That looks really good! I never got around to breaking ground for a Fall garden...
                        Maybe next year!
                        Still plenty of time for everything! Only reason I waited until I did was I just got back home from working offshore.

Comment

Originally posted by Katch66 View Post
                          Your fall garden is looking good LH10. We just had our first mess of mustard and turnip greens for lunch today. Love me some fresh greens!
                          We had a huge bumper crop of tabasco peppers this year. We bottled them with vinegar and am REALLY looking forward to collards with the tabasco vinegar in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                            Got mine all cleaned out and ready to be planted. I realized we do not eat a lot of lettuce and kale in this family...so going to pass on those this year. Probably focus on carrotts, collard greens and beets. Anybody else got any unusual/rare vegatables that do well in the winter that I can look into? (to try something new).

Squash do well in a Fall garden... they mature quickly and aren't as susceptible to the vine bores in the Fall... They'll make until a killin' frost.

Comment

Pic of our backyard from a second story window. As you can tell, we don’t have much yard left. Also have an herb garden and a couple of cattle troughs that didn’t show up in the pic.

Most of this will get pulled out Sunday. Fall seedlings are ready to go in the ground next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X