The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by El General View Post
    I heard they were awesome, but also very stiff and required lengthy break in.

I went with Crispi Wyomings as the reviews said they were easier on break in they have a very ample toe box for my wide feet.

Yeah they are tough to break in but once they break in to your feet I don’t know that I’ve ever worn a more comfortable pair of hunting boots

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
      Yeah they are tough to break in but once they break in to your feet I don’t know that I’ve ever worn a more comfortable pair of hunting boots
      Cool. Good to know.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys!

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
          Headed out in a little over 6 weeks to hunt elk in first rifle season in Wyoming. This is my first big game hunt and my first out west. Super excited!
          Good Luck! Prepare to become addicted!

Comment

Originally posted by makotex View Post
            Good Luck! Prepare to become addicted!
            Thanks. When I first signed up for this I thought “this will be my first and only for a while”.. now, after training for the last 6 weeks with 6 more to go I’m thinking this could become a habit—and I haven’t even hunted yet!

My wife and pocketbook would likely kill me. This hunt is a dream: fully guided on horseback with a staffed base camp. In the future, I can see myself doing more DIY type hunts. This is one of my buddy’s bucket list hunts who is much older than me so I let him make the decisions.

Comment

If you’re hunting Montana- check your license.

There was a bad batch of paper sold to FWP and all the printing fades away to invisible with a little heat.

It happened to mine and I just replaced at local DFW office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Can some of you guys post pics of yalls packs before packing, and how long your going for.

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                  Can some of you guys post pics of yalls packs before packing, and how long your going for.

Last year’s pic. Changing it up a little this year. Getting very, very close to taking this year’s pic. I’ll make sure I have the gear outside the stuff-sacks this go around.

My gear pretty much stays the same regardless of duration, what changes is how much food I'm carrying. Now if I know I'm going to hunt in an area and hunt out that afternoon or evening, I'll leave the sleeping gear and maybe the stove as well depending on the day's menu.

Check out the hashtag #InMyExo on Instagram for tons of other pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6729.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	24588894

Last edited by Patton; 08-20-2019, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                    Last year’s pic. Changing it up a little this year. Getting very, very close to taking this year’s pic. I’ll make sure I have the gear outside the stuff-sacks this go around.

My gear pretty much stays the same regardless of duration, what changes is how much food I'm carrying. Now if I know I'm going to hunt in an area and hunt out that afternoon or evening, I'll leave the sleeping gear and maybe the stove as well depending on the day's menu.

Check out the hashtag #InMyExo on Instagram for tons of other pics.

[ATTACH]969039[/ATTACH]

Awesome thank you! How necessary are the trekking poles it appears everyone’s split some say must have, and others say not needed.

Comment

I found 1 pole was a life saver going up hills, and helping to keep upright/ balanced on rocky/ scree areas. It also transfers work from legs to shoulders. Especially when the meat bag was added. I could never figure out using 2 poles.

For packing, check Kuiu web site they have some good examples of what guys bring with them. Also YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                        Awesome thank you! How necessary are the trekking poles it appears everyone’s split some say must have, and others say not needed.

In a flatter area, I could see not needing them but we are hunting extraordinarily steep country and they are a requirement IMO. We also use tarps as shelters and the poles are needed there as well.

Comment

2 thoughts-

10 minutes from our place- a small bull has gathered his harem. Time to hunt elk.

Think bears if you’re in bear country. I pucker-up just seeing this.

Comment

Can't believe we are only a few days from the opener and this thread was buried. Must not be many people going this year. We leave next Thursday afternoon with horses and I can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                              Can't believe we are only a few days from the opener and this thread was buried. Must not be many people going this year. We leave next Thursday afternoon with horses and I can't wait.
                              I'm hoping they're in the forest already acclimating to altitude and scouting.

I won't be going until November, looking forward to reports revving me up.

Comment

We're going up on Sept 5 to set camp and hunt for 5 days, then a few long weekends till end of Sept. Luckily we'll be hunting within a couple hours of the house up in the Snowies.
                                Wall tent will go up on the 5th and come down the 22nd.

Fall is right around the corner folks.
                                Got my clothes washed and air dried, packing starts this week.

Comment

Working...
                                X