2019 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    Never heard of cacuzza! Those are big suckers for sure. How do you prepare them? Are they like a normal squash?
    Remove skin of cacuzza like you would a cucumber. Split lengthwise and use spoon to remove seeds. After that I've always sliced them very thin and saute with onions, garlic and olive oil. Add tomato sauce and simmer for 2-3 hours (longer the better). Serve over pasta.

Other recipe is to stuff them with stuffing of your choice and bake em.

Comment

Amended northern bed with peat moss, cow manure and compost. Covered with tarp until ready to use in October. Will use this bed for carrots, beets, lettuce and onions.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
        Remove skin of cacuzza like you would a cucumber. Split lengthwise and use spoon to remove seeds. After that I've always sliced them very thin and saute with onions, garlic and olive oil. Add tomato sauce and simmer for 2-3 hours (longer the better). Serve over pasta.

Other recipe is to stuff them with stuffing of your choice and bake em.

That sounds delicious! Wife gets those "spagetti" squash at the store or farmer's market and hulls them out, bakes in Lasagna fixin's in them and uses the squash for the pasta... One of our favorite quick dishes and easy to fix... Never tried growing them, but we're going to this Spring. Not sure if they would work for Fall, but plan to check into it.

Oh and that's a fine looking raised bed!!

Comment

Tell yall what I am effing done with effing peppers. My wife makes me plant them every year. Jalepeno, bell, tai, poblano and tabasco.....and all she does is continue to buy them all from Krogers while ours rot on the plant or get moldy in the vegetable holder inside. This goes for my onions as well.

More room for tomatoes next year!! Light rant over

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
            Tell yall what I am effing done with effing peppers. My wife makes me plant them every year. Jalepeno, bell, tai, poblano and tabasco.....and all she does is continue to buy them all from Krogers while ours rot on the plant or get moldy in the vegetable holder inside. This goes for my onions as well.

Blanch and freeze them. Use them for chili, soups, etc all winter.

Comment

Ain't that the most annoying thing.

Comment

Still getting used to the houston growing seasons. My tomatoes took off like crazy, with all kinds of cherry tomatoes. Lots of foliage on the beefsteaks, but only one actually fruited. Peppers grew real slow but just took off with all the recent heat. Squash and watermelon haven't produced any female despite water and plenty of nutrients.

Comment

I just pinched about a dozen suckers off of my tomato plants and put them in water. Should have roots in a week then I will move to peat pots and let grow.

Comment

Anyone have any tips on blackberry plants? I have 5, and need to put them in the ground. I also just received a mint plant from a buddy.

Comment

I hear you! I only plant stuff I know I will use. Stopped trying to plant other things she wanted over the same thing. Even though mine are organic and we know EXACTLY what goes into them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                        Still getting used to the houston growing seasons. My tomatoes took off like crazy, with all kinds of cherry tomatoes. Lots of foliage on the beefsteaks, but only one actually fruited. Peppers grew real slow but just took off with all the recent heat. Squash and watermelon haven't produced any female despite water and plenty of nutrients.
                        I suggest using a shade cloth over your tomatoes to aid in fruit production. Alot of times (especially with the larger variety tomatoes) the flowers will fall off. It will do this with excess summer heat to help the plant survive the heat instead of giving additional energy to fruit production (from what I've heard anyway and it sounded good).

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                          Anyone have any tips on blackberry plants? I have 5, and need to put them in the ground. I also just received a mint plant from a buddy.
                          Don't let that mint hit the ground, it will take over the neighborhood

Comment

Going to amend the soil this morning and get things all ready. I’m hopeful to transplant this next weekend if all goes well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5255.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	24589049

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

One hour into it and I have only amended a 7’x20’ patch. My little Ryobi two stroke cultivator keeps getting wrapped up with roots from a neighboring pecan (neighbors tree).

Name:	IMG_5256.jpg
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	24589053

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Name:	IMG_5257.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	24589055