Nursing Home Food Inspection Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nursing Home Food Inspection Question

Who handles food and kitchen inspections for nursing homes in Texas?

My mother is in one and the food they get served is horrible not to mention very small portions.

Would it be the local county health inspector or would they fall under the state?

City then county. Food quality is not their concern. Food safety is. Sorry. Most of those places have budgets so tight that the only thing fresh coming into the kitchen is the tap water!!

Comment

I would think the health department would look into issues of quality and sanitation.
      As far as other health concerns, do a google search under Nursing home complaints. It looks like there is a regulating agency in Texas. It may also be reportable to Medicaid/Medicare.

You may try speaking with them. Horrible as in taste? Many people are on special diets of low sodium, low fat, carb controlled, Calorie specific. These meals are bland most of the time or may have portion control. Im not taking up for them, just trying to give the another point of view.

It is sad how some of these places function.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS View Post
        I would think the health department would look into issues of quality and sanitation.
        As far as other health concerns, do a google search under Nursing home complaints. It looks like there is a regulating agency in Texas. It may also be reportable to Medicaid/Medicare.

You may try speaking with them. Horrible as in taste? Many people are on special diets of low sodium, low fat, carb controlled, Calorie specific. These meals are bland most of the time or may have portion control. Im not taking up for them, just trying to give the another point of view.

Not specifically saying taste although that could be improved too. I’m mostly talking about either over cooked and most cases burnt food (toast, biscuits, grilled cheese sandwiches etc) or undercooked items like meat, chicken and pork.

Comment

When I lived in Colorado I shot a lot of geese but can't stand to eat those dang things. I would breast them out, 2 per ziplock and give them to my buddy's wife who took them to work...at the nursing home.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS View Post

Downright crazy! Old people are nuts for real , mean at times, nasty, a general pain in the azz, and require constant care and attention. Just like a baby, but without the cute & cuddly charisma. We love em though, dearly, they are our family, but it's hard to get someone else to.
            The people who work there, get payed very little most of the time, are less than enthusiastic about their job, and in Baton Rouge, LA they are pretty much gang banging thugs.
            Private is the way to go, but unaffordable for most.
            Been through this with 2 grandparents.
            Same complaints about food, cleanliness, bruises, etc.. One day my aunt bought a bunch of nanny cams. In the room, in grandma's friends room, in the bathroom, lobby, wherever it would fit.
            That place is no longer in business, and the money, afforded her the last few yrs of her life in a nicer place.
            This was back before cameras were everywhere though, and they never saw it coming.

Comment

State

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
                Not specifically saying taste although that could be improved too. I’m mostly talking about either over cooked and most cases burnt food (toast, biscuits, grilled cheese sandwiches etc) or undercooked items like meat, chicken and pork.
                The health dept would be interested in consistently severely undercooked meats. Chicken should be cooked to 165 degrees, pork is 145 and beef should be 145 or 155 depending on ground or not.

Comment

I have done inspections for 20 years. Chef is right. City, then county.

Overcooked, small portions, poor quality. Sorry, not our problem.

Undercooked, that's a problem. State code requires the facility to make the latest inspection report available to anyone who asks. They are also available through open records but asking the facility would be faster.

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
                    Who handles food and kitchen inspections for nursing homes in Texas?

My mother is in one and the food they get served is horrible not to mention very small portions.

Would it be the local county health inspector or would they fall under the state?
                    Have you talked to the home first?

Comment

Originally posted by Rakkasan2187 View Post
                      Have you talked to the home first?
                      My sister has on several occasions. Nothing has changed. The home was recently bought out by another company and we were hoping things would improve but it’s been a couple months and it’s the same. Maybe even a little worse.

Comment

These facilities are a big challenge. They turn over chefs/kitchen managers pretty quickly. The ones that care and try to do fresh foods get told there isn't the budget for it. The pay is on par with most restaurants.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Your only recourse most likely is going to be to move your mom.

Comment

most of the residents live a sedentary lifestyle and probably should not eat normal adult portions we would be used to.

Comment

Depending on the complaint as the description isn't clear enough and can mean a variety of things.

1. Management
                            2. Health Dept.
                            3. Texas Health and Human Services Commission

Comment

dad was in a nursing home in Bandera tx for rehab after surgery , I promise the w=food was no better there either !!!!!!!
                              he wouldn't eat it …. so I brought him supper everyday after work till he got out, I know that's not an option but it was the only way I could get him to eat and gain weight back.

Comment

Working...
                              X