Bermuda Tiff newby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bermuda Tiff newby

Growing up mowing my parent's weeds in Abilene taught me nothing. 23 years in Houston made me a St. Augustine expert but that is now useless. I have a new bermuda tiff lawn in Granbury that needs TLC. Builder probably sodded it 6 to 8 months back. Greenbelt on 2 property lines is golf-course plush. My yard is lumpy and for some reason I have a triangle at my back corner they didn't sod that looks like some native mix. Have some sticker burrs and other weeds. Not sure where to start here but I'm thinking I need some sand for some of the "sod lines" where it doesn't seem grown in. What can I put down for weeds this time of year? Too late to fertilize?
    Last edited by TexaRican; 06-11-2019, 09:03 PM.

Not an expert but my advice is to mow a lot, water, fertilize, and use 2-4-d. Bermuda is extremely hardy and will ultimately drawn out most weeds with the above prescription. Good luck!

Comment

I bought a house in Dallas with Tiff. Had to have reel type mower, and it looked bumpy too. I finally gave up on trying to make it look like a putting green and let it grow taller and just mowed with a regular mower.

Tiff is too much work.

Comment

We fertilizer Bermuda on are turf farms February- November. To kill weeds and grasses I use Pastora, Permit and Grazon.

Comment

Tag

Comment

It looks clumpy because its thatched. It grows tall and lays over. This year it will probably never look great unless you mow it like every 2-3 days to get it down to about 1.5". Don't try to get it that low in one cut though, all you will have is stalks and no green grass so you have to take it down slowly.

Next year in late February or right as it is coming out of dormancy cut it to almost dirt and mow often. Make the grass grow out not up and keep it about 1.5". The more often you mow the thicker it gets. Later in the summer bring it up to 2". Mow it about every 5-7 days and it will look awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Reelthreat View Post
              It looks clumpy because its thatched. It grows tall and lays over. This year it will probably never look great unless you mow it like every 2-3 days to get it down to about 1.5". Don't try to get it that low in one cut though, all you will have is stalks and no green grass so you have to take it down slowly.

Next year in late February or right as it is coming out of dormancy cut it to almost dirt and mow often. Make the grass grow out not up and keep it about 1.5". The more often you mow the thicker it gets. Later in the summer bring it up to 2". Mow it about every 5-7 days and it will look awesome.
              Lots of work involved here. True tiff needs to be verti-cutted occasionally also.

Comment

I'd just call Lawn Doctor of Geanbury and let them take care of it. You have better things
                to do with your time..

Comment

I have Tif 419 and absolutely love it. I have a lawn company that handles it. Go kill that corner with roundup of whatever and buy a few squares and cover it up. The lumps will settle down that said I would be careful of pouring sand unless you know 100% it has been screened or you will intro new weeds. I would fertilize a few times a year. End the season with winter fertilizer, then pre-emergent in early spring, then so on. Next year it will look fantastic.

Comment

If you can get your hands on some msma or ally you can kill everything but the bermuda.. I'm not sure if they make something similar you dont need a license for.. I had a license when I had Bermuda hay fields.

Comment

use some tx native mulch mix for the lumpy spots.. bermuda has runners that will fill it in.

and also thatch is a problem w bermuda, If you can bag it and any oak leaves to prevent it from building up..

Comment

Bermuda Tiff newby

Saw the crew mowing the green belt today and they just used normal mowers as did my neighbor’s yard guy. I grabbed him for a quote and he was $45. Don’t want to do that weekly but I gave him cash today and will start on my own next week. Fence installation tomorrow! Yard guy was on one of those stand up riding mowers and with one other guy on trim and blow they were done in 15 minutes. Gonna be fun to see how long it takes me with the Ego.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bermuda Tiff newby

Follow up: it’s been mowed twice now. I visited a nursery and the worker there told me there is nothing I can do this summer other than manual weed pulling or spot treat with roundup for risk of burning it.
                          It’s not that bad really so I suppose that is my plan for now. I will do the pre-emergent for next spring.

Oh btw it took me 3 hours to edge, mow and blow. My 7.6ah Ego battery did the mow on a single charge. For grins I then ran that battery in my leaf blower and it last about a minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by TexaRican; 06-23-2019, 11:31 AM.

Comment

I laid 2 pallets of Tiff 419 four weeks ago. Trying to keep it short and watering is all I’m doing this year but I’m impressed how it has taken off and filled in.

Comment

Water, mow, repeat! Use a bag mower or rake it everytime. You will have a lush green, weed free yard in no time. I would mow a minimum of every 7 days during the summer growing season.

Comment

Working...
                              X