Teacher pay raises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teacher pay raises

I am in favor of pay raises for teachers, although I have to wonder why some teachers complain a lot about low pay, conditions, difficult kids, lack of administrative support, etc., etc., etc. when they knew the salary structure before they accepted the jobs. If you don't enjoy the job, do something else.

After reviewing all the complaints about property taxes, I got to wondering how many complain about rising taxes but still want teachers to get raises.

I know many will complain about wasted tax revenues, and I am sure there is some of that, especially in larger districts. I have served on my local White Oak ISD board and the Kilgore College board, and I can testify that there was a constant challenge of trying to fund annual increases in operations and raises while not raising taxes more than necessary. Money was always tight and not wasted.

So..how many on TBH are willing for their property taxes to increase (probably considerably) to pay for teachers raises?

I'm not really wanting another discussion about bonds, wasting revenues, stupid administrative decisions, et. Just yes or no about supporting increased property taxes to fund raises.
    Last edited by Burnadell; 04-04-2019, 11:57 AM.

Well I complained about not getting a tax return and I was advised I should be thankful I only had to pay with making 38,000 thousand this yr. and that would buy a bunch of steaks.

My wife's a teacher. Our districts are severely pizz poor ran. Supt. makes 3rd highest salary in the State and we are in shambles.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
      Well I complained about not getting a tax return and I was advised I should be thankful I only had to pay with making 38,000 thousand this yr. and that would buy a bunch of steaks.

My wife's a teacher. Our districts are severely pizz poor ran. Supt. makes 3rd highest salary in the State and we are in shambles.
      Agreed and when teachers here get $200 raises and people in Central office get $5000 to $20,000 raises it does not feel good!

AND, the lottery was voted into Texas for the benefit of schools, where is that money? Supposedly to alleviate the raising of property taxes.

Basically this is a dang if you do and dang if you don't subject but when you realize that teachers spend more awake time with these kids than the parents do during the week I think we deserve a raise.

I am torn on the property tax situation, yes i want that raise, but I also do not wnat my property taxes to skyrocket.

Comment

So are you in favor of increasing property taxes or not? Yes or no.

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
        Agreed and when teachers here get $200 raises and people in Central office get $5000 to $20,000 raises it does not feel good!

AND, the lottery was voted into Texas for the benefit of schools, where is that money? Supposedly to alleviate the raising of property taxes.

Basically this is a dang if you do and dang if you don't subject but when you realize that teachers spend more awake time with these kids than the parents do during the week I think we deserve a raise.

I am torn on the property tax situation, yes i want that raise, but I also do not wnat my property taxes to skyrocket.
        Cop out!

Funding $5000 raises for every teacher x however many teachers means substantial funding requirements every year. How are teachers paid? Property taxes.

Yes or no?

Comment

Well go back to school and get your masters or phd and then put in your 10+ years so you can be at central office and get those big raises too! That attitude is like these kids that want everything, now, and free.

Comment

Here's the way I view taxes and the government. I'm willing to accept a 1% increase in my taxes for every 10% the government shows me in cuts. Show me you're willing to eliminate waste before you get more money.

Comment

Originally posted by bauce302 View Post
              Well go back to school and get your masters or phd and then put in your 10+ years so you can be at central office and get those big raises too! That attitude is like these kids that want everything, now, and free.
              So, yes or no?

Comment

Pay raises for Teachers and paras. Yes. I am in the profession and agree with your first statement. Free market. Was there some kind of miscommunication on what you were going to make? I left a job as an accountant and took a massive haircut becoming an educator. Wouldn't have it any other way. Adults are the problem in this world. Kids and those I teach (young adults) are awesome. Smarter than most adults actually I have met. They don't believe they news and media hype like 90 percent of adults do. They think for themselves and have a world of knowledge at their fingertips. This current generation will be the one to change it all. They are on the cusp of the technological revolution.

Comment

Originally posted by bauce302 View Post
                  My wife has the so called "degrees" you speak of and my daughter is headed that way as well, she is a teacher as well.

It's not about wanting anything free and being a kid as you refer. Believe it or not there are some teachers who really like the job of teaching, my wife has been doing it for 31 yrs.

While central office and the pencil pushers abound and keep making big money for titles under their names the classroom teachers have and continue to be over looked.

BTW your attitude sounds like one of the pencil pushers. A title, big money and sitting on their azzez.

And no to taxes Burn.

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
                    Here's the way I view taxes and the government. I'm willing to accept a 1% increase in my taxes for every 10% the government shows me in cuts. Show me you're willing to eliminate waste before you get more money.
                    Yes or no? Support teacher raises or not? Support increasing property taxes or not?

I firmly believe that there is very little, if any, waste in small school districts. There simply isn't that much cushion in their budgets.

School taxes make up the largest % of property taxes, by far, in the Texas taxing districts.

Comment

My wife has the so called "degrees" you speak of and my daughter is headed that way as well, she is a teacher as well.

It's not about wanting anything free and being a kid as you refer. Believe it or not there are some teachers who really like the job of teaching, my wife has been doing it for 31 yrs.

While central office and the pencil pushers abound and keep making big money for titles under their names the classroom teachers have and continue to be over looked.

BTW your attitude sounds like one of the pencil pushers. A title, big money and sitting on their azzez.

And no to taxes Burn.
                      So you are against the large teacher raises?

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                        Pay raises for Teachers and paras. Yes. I am in the profession and agree with your first statement. Free market. Was there some kind of miscommunication on what you were going to make? I left a job as an accountant and took a massive haircut becoming an educator. Wouldn't have it any other way. Adults are the problem in this world. Kids and those I teach (young adults) are awesome. Smarter than most adults actually I have met. They don't believe they news and media hype like 90 percent of adults do. They think for themselves and have a world of knowledge at their fingertips. This current generation will be the one to change it all. They are on the cusp of the technological revolution.
                        So, I am assuming you are in favor of increasing property taxes?

Comment

NO!!!

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Comment

Short answer is no raise at taxpayer expense. But there is no way the money is not already there.

I agree. A quick look at superintendent shows the statewide average salary is over $140,000 with the highest being over $400k. Put a cap on super's at $125k and adjust the admin down from there (the same way teachers salaries are structured for experience, etc.). I bet that alone would cover the majority of the raises.

You could do the same for high school football coaches and cap it at $100k and and adjust down from there for assistants, etc. Then start looking at uniform costs (band, football, basketball, etc.). They don't need the same costing uniforms that colleges have.

Then there are the fancy cars the school pd drive and the list can go on forever.

The money is there without raising the property taxes.
                            Last edited by cehorn; 04-04-2019, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                              So, I am assuming you are in favor of increasing property taxes?
                              Yes and bonds that are for new schools, performing arts centers, CTE centers, basic athletic facilities. I am never in favor of extravagant football stadiums that are not needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X