Fresh Water Amoeba hospitalizes my cousins daughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh Water Amoeba hospitalizes my cousins daughter

On Sunday, September 8, 2019, Lily (10) began having a headache, and it was quickly followed by a fever. While nothing other than common viral infection was the cause of concern, something was not quite right. After many tests at the local family doctor, ibuprofen and hydration was instructed. After hearing what they thought were sounds of Lily having a nightmare in her sleep, Laci quickly realized Lily was beginning the fight of her life. She was incoherent, unresponsive and was quickly swept up and taken to the ER. Upon examination she was given the treatment for bacterial and viral meningitis and careflighted to Cook Children’s in Fort Worth. Her spinal tap revealed that she actually contracted a VERY rare amoeba that is aggressive with a high fatality rate. She remains in the ICU sedated and intubated.

Update this morning. They are giving around the clock medication and neurological assessments. They will be taking her back for another MRI. Last nights MRI revealed more swelling on her brain. Her pupils are not reacting like they want them to so they are needing to figure out if the hydrocephalus is getting worse or if it's due to the sedatives.

There are only 4 survivors in the country that have had this illness. Praying Lily makes 5.

My cousins live on the Brazos river just south of Whitney and the family swim in it often. She also swam at the YMCA pool and Grandmas pool this weekend. The amoeba is contracted by freshwater being inhaled thru the nostrils and into the sinus cavities of the brain.

Primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), also called amoebic meningitis, is a serious disease that leads to inflammation of the brain. It’s caused by the Naegleria Fowleri amoeba. This amoeba can be found in stagnant water such as lakes and rivers or poorly maintained swimming pools, water hoses and spas, although it's extremely rare to contract from a swimming pool (due to chlorine), it’s still possible.

I’m asking for prayers. Lift Lily, John, and Laci up in your prayers.
    A Venmo account has also been set up to support them. @lilylacijohn

#LilyStrong #Number5Survivor #LoveForLily

Thanks TBH family. God bless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prayers up.

Comment

Oh wow. Praying for this little girl and her family.

Comment

Prayers up

Comment

Prayers up for sure

I remember back in the 80's during a drought, the Frio river level dropped to where it was not flowing over the dam. The water became stagnant and a couple people died from what was determined to be some sort of freshwater amoeba. Not sure if it is the same thing but I do remember that they shut the river down because of the deaths

Comment

Prayers up for Lily and family

Comment

Prayers sent.

I will send this to everyone I know. We will all be praying for Lily

Comment

Prayers up

Comment

Prayers sent.

Comment

Prayers sent

Comment

Prayers for that sweet girl!

Comment

Prayers!! Scary stuff

Comment

Awful! Prayers for your family.

Comment

Lord, You love Lily as You love all children, Bring healing to this sweet girl who is not well. Stay by her side and comfort her through this trying time. Keep us ever mindful of Your loving presence Bless us with Your powerful healing and comfort her family & friends also. Amen
                            [emoji1374] [emoji3583] [emoji3590]

Comment

This is horrific for the family I cannot fathom their pain. God bless you guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X