No announcement yet.

Feeding in for other people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think there should be a charge as going out and filling a feeder takes time regardless of if you are filling yours. That’s time you could hunt, work on your stand, or be with family. Most likely they are busy and a trip is out of the question. I think if they bought your corn it would be fair deal if you live close or already planning the trip and have room for extra corn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s included in my lease cost in Mexico. Corn, protein, cotton seed all kept full and running but we buy the feed. Not sure what should be charged here but there are people who do that as a side job

Comment

Last edited by bphillips; 09-10-2019, 06:39 PM.

Comment

You know I’ve had someone fill my feeders they were not lease members but my drive was 6 hours so it saved me a lot of time and money. We paid them $200 plus 15% on corn prices. Sometimes it makes sense and sometimes it doesn’t. There are a lot of people who pay to have feeders filled and protein filled. Just my two cents. ��

Comment

The only thing I dislike about filling other peoples feeders that I don't get to hunt is I am usually on a tight schedule myself. Filling or adding a few bags for them is no problem, but when you walk up on a feeder and it's not working and I have to spend an hour fixing or have to run into town 60 miles round trip for parts, then it becomes a problem for me getting my stuff done. I would make sure they have repair parts and batteries etc for them on hand as well if I was to enter into some kind of filling deal with them. If they have ****ty feeders and control units then I'd probably pass. I dang sure will help a friend but for folks I don't know, I'm not going to be a feeder repair service for your junk units.

Depending on how many folks and feeders there are in the agreement....I would be good with they pay for all the corn/feed for both our feeders and I fill....or if there are multiple folks then maybe a little fuel money for the added work to offset an even trade. That changes if they are friends...I just make sure they pay for their corn...
            Last edited by Smart; 09-10-2019, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              The only thing I dislike about filling other peoples feeders that I don't get to hunt is I am usually on a tight schedule myself. Filling or adding a few bags for them is no problem, but when you walk up on a feeder and it's not working and I have to spend an hour fixing or have to run into town 60 miles round trip for parts, then it becomes a problem for me getting my stuff done. I would make sure they have repair parts and batteries etc for them on hand as well if I was to enter into some kind of filling deal with them. If they have ****ty feeders and control units then I'd probably pass. I dang sure will help a friend but for folks I don't know, I'm not going to be a feeder repair service for your junk units.

Depending on how many folks and feeders there are in the agreement....I would be good with they pay for all the corn/feed for both our feeders and I fill....or if there are multiple folks then maybe a little fuel money for the added work to offset an even trade. That changes if they are friends...I just make sure they pay for their corn...
              This is pretty much what I told him. They are new to the lease and are just used to having this done I guess.

Comment

Let’s put that shoe on the other foot...we have 32 feeders on 7500 acres and it’s my job to keep them filled and in proper working condition...what should I expect to make that worth my effort ?

Comment

For you fellas far away from your lease spots: what does it cost you to come fill the feeders and check cards if you don't have the cell cams?? Additionally, what if the feeder stops throwing corn a day after you fill it?? Again with out cell cams you might not know and come the hunting season it might be to late to attract deer to your set up...

Give the OP an idea as to how much you would consider paying if neither you could make it out nor one of your lease buddies could fill your feeders...

Comment

Originally posted by rcm719 View Post
                    Well I dont know what the age or disability status is of these guys I've never met them, lease manager called me for advice so I figured I'd ask on here.
                    Communication will fix all this...just curious, but why is the lease manager leaning on you for guidance?? I would just assume you are ownership or simply another member who's been on the place with said LM for a long time & worked together for the betterment on the lease & appreciates your input.

Regardless, Without knowing the details of acres / numbers of feeders per hunter or bottom line...what is the actual work load to cover for those that are glad to pay for the service?? There will be some more than glad to take their $$$$, others who will only want to take care of their own & another guy or 2 who has no skin in the game I will just want to ***** about the whole situation because it is their obligation to be the lease drama twits.

All you can do is start the dialog with the group at this point & let the conversation from personal research & hopeful progressive solutions create the value. Capitalism at her finest I would hope could be worked out beneficially for all the lease members.

While I don't know of anyone I'm sure there are plenty of companies willing of filling feeders for $$$$...I know because I see their trucks & auger drive bulk feeders on trailers. Finding market shouldn't be to tough but it's all gotta start with chatting with the group & bringing her out into the open.
                    Last edited by Artos; 09-10-2019, 11:01 PM.

Comment

We pay our landowner $4/bag to fill our protein in the off season. Saves us from having to go out there and top off every 1.5 weeks and ensures that the deer keep getting fed protein. Money well spent for us with the savings of fuel and convenience.

Comment

Honestly, unless it is a friend, I don't like filling other people's feeders.

We have spent a lot of time and effort changing our feeders, making ours easy to get to and to fill. I'm just not going to climb a ladder or fool with a winch anymore.

Your local feed store will probably either give you a price for doing it or be able to recommend someone local who will do it.

If you insist on doing it, there's the market price.

Comment

need more info to really answer, how far to lease, how many feeders, how big are feeders, are the owners lazy or busy...lol?? if it was just a couple 55 gal feeders and they bought my corn also, I would gladly do it. We keep a bunch of spare parts in camp, so if I had to change a battery or fix a broken wire I would not mind. there are people that do this to make extra money, I would see what they charge as a baseline, if you want to actually charge them.

If they are new on lease and wanting someone to fill their feeders, I would be concerned if they would contribute to general work and work weekends

I went thru a number of years that I was commuting overseas for work and did not get to the lease much, there could be any number of reasons, I would not judge them (as some are quick to do) without more info

Comment

I guess it would depend on the individual, a handicap or elderly person would not be a problem. A friend maybe but he would need to replace my labor with his. If its an able bodied person then he needs to find a new lease.

My last lease had two that were the world's worst at doing feed days or camp projects. Seems like their kids always had ball practice.

Comment

We used to do this years ago. Had 20 hunters on 11,000 acres. The hunters bought the corn and each member payed someone $200 to fill feeders and protein. The corn would be delivered to the ranch on a 18 wheeler like a Home Depot truck with a fork lift. Not all members did this but a bunch did especially when it’s 110 degrees in the summer. If 15 guys paid, the couple guys filling feeders(usually someone’s kid) would make $3000.

Comment

No reason to make it complicated:

Expenses + value of your time= answer

Comment

Working...
                                X