No announcement yet.

Is this common at your job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's what has been irritated and the reason for the thread. I never ask for time off, ever. I asked if I could leave around 3 today because my grandpa needs help loading 40 bags of Quickcrete, 80 pounds each. But since other people called in sick I can't do that. A 78 year old man is out working guys 50 years younger than him today. That's pitiful. They ought to be embarrassed.

No, I'm not very happy about it. I have half a mind to just leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
      I think I've called in at my current job 5 times in 16 years. Got several that I work/worked with that call in fairly often. All different ages. We have a point system, so they are somewhat limited.
      4 of those 5 was because of too many blue cans
      The other one was because you got no sleep hunting all night long

Comment

I work in staffing so hiring, interviewing, onboarding, etc are part of what I deal with daily. What I can tell you is that if you do three things, you will be put yourself ahead of 75% of the workforce automatically.

SHOW UP on time
        Have a positive attitude
        Show initiative

Thats it. Sounds simple huh? We staff some lower level jobs ($15-$20hr) and we can't get people to show up to interviews, if they make it that far, half of them disappear after that with only a few actually following through and starting a position. You give people free money to sit at home and it doesn't take long for them to become accustomed to that and working for our paycheck seems like a stretch.

Comment

One of our customers returned an excavator. He said he wanted his helper to unload it and park it since he is trying to learn how to operate. He's instructing the guy, looks at me and says, "He doesn't learn quickly by watching...but he doesn't learn by doing either". He gets it unloaded and parks it, but it's backward from all the other machines. He tells the guy to turn it around and says to me, "he's got no attention to detail".

Me: He shows up at least I guess.
          Customer: He shows up every **** day. And that makes him better than almost every other helper I've hired.

Comment

If I was the boss here I'd fire every **** one of these guys and start over. I'm so mad I could spit nails.

Excuse my language but good God.

Comment

When I worked for the City I accrued 8 hours of pto time every two weeks. I missed plenty of work taking time of having fun and enjoying life. All work and no play makes Johnny a dull boy. I'm self employed again now and hardly have any days off.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                None. That's why I can't figure out how these dudes are missing so much work. One has child support to pay. I just have regular bills. They don't throw you in prison if you don't pay those. Kids have to eat. I don't have to have electricity or water. I choose to because it makes life easier.
                If/when you ever have kids you will see just how often someone is sick, has a dentist appointment, or eye Dr appointment etc.It's always something. Me and the wife have to juggle off days and Dr visits bc our jobs don't allow us to only take off for a few hours for that day. I averaged about one sick day a year before kids, now not so much. Having said all that I'm totally support firing someone that abuses the system. Right now we have three guys out for stress, one going on 6 months. He better never hope I run the company. If your coworkers are that close that a sick day shuts off their power they might need to trim back the lifestyle some.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Had a guy message me this morning at 1:21AM saying he wasn’t gonna make in to work because he wasn’t feeling well waiting on some lab results as soon as he sent me the message he turned on his silence notifications on his iPhone

Comment

Here's what has been irritated and the reason for the thread. I never ask for time off, ever. I asked if I could leave around 3 today because my grandpa needs help loading 40 bags of Quickcrete, 80 pounds each. But since other people called in sick I can't do that. A 78 year old man is out working guys 50 years younger than him today. That's pitiful. They ought to be embarrassed.

No, I'm not very happy about it. I have half a mind to just leave.
                    Just leave, when you're dead and gone that job will still be going. Take a day off, have fun and enjoy life. On your death bed you won't be saying you wish you'd worked more.

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                      If/when you ever have kids you will see just how often someone is sick, has a dentist appointment, or eye Dr appointment etc.It's always something. Me and the wife have to juggle off days and Dr visits bc our jobs don't allow us to only take off for a few hours for that day. I averaged about one sick day a year before kids, now not so much. Having said all that I'm totally support firing someone that abuses the system. Right now we have three guys out for stress, one going on 6 months. He better never hope I run the company. If your coworkers are that close that a sick day shuts off their power they might need to trim back the lifestyle some.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
                      I understand buddy. I get it and it's not even that honestly. I've worked plenty when people didn't show up and never questioned none of it. I'm just mad at the circumstances today. That's all it is.

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
                        My old coworker called in sick every Monday after the Super Bowl. Every year
                        I take off the first Monday of deer season every year.

Comment

If I was the boss here I'd fire every **** one of these guys and start over. I'm so mad I could spit nails.

Excuse my language but good God.
                          Is that why you are at work playing on the computer?

Comment

Is this common at your job?

It is ridiculous…I own/run a restaurant and we have about 20 servers scheduled every night and average 2-3 out sick/other bs every day. It is so hard to find decent employees we just document and eventually term the ones that aren’t any good and schedule extra people to cover those that call in. I am 52 and have been in the restaurant business my whole life and have missed less than 15 days in the 30+ years(those 15 days include 5 mandatory for covid so less than 10 besides that).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have no patience for guys that are chronically late, but there was one exception. I had a loader operater that just could NOT make it on time. He would be 3 to 10 minutes late every day. If he somehow made it on time he would be sure and mention it. Sometimes there would be a dozen trucks waiting for him to load. My partner wanted to fire him but I told him that if Phillip started at 7:30 in an hour he would still be ahead of whoever started at 7:00, he was that **** good. He worked for us several years and finally quit and bought himself a dump truck. He was the only employee I ever tried to talk out of quitting in 12 years of being in the contracting business. The best loader operator I ever came across in 50 years of dirt work. I always tried to reward people based on merit, and Phillip’s reward was not getting his azz canned.

Comment

I’d be reviewing your green screen time while on the clock. May result in one missed day of work per week [emoji23]

Comment

Working...
                                X