• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring/summer plots?

Won't be long and it will be time to plant

What are you planting?

What part of the state?

This will be our first time planting spring anything at the new place. We had decent luck with the fall plots. We are in NE Brown County with a portion of our ranch in Comanche County. I posted in another thread but I'll add here as well, we plan to plant the following this year:

10 ac Deer Food Plots
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Spring Deer.png
Views:	2
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	24705015

3 ac of Dove Food Plots around tanks

Name:	Spring Dove.png
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	24705016

~6 acres of perennial forbs

Name:	Forbs.png
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	24705017

Here is to hoping for plenty of rain and good luck.

Comment

I will plant Sunn Hemp, some I/C peas as long as they are reasonably priced, and I keep considering doing forage soybeans like eagles. I won't be planting for a bit though as I like to wait until the clover is burned up and then plant straight into it. However, I have planted portions of the food plots that don't have good clover in the past, and I may do that again.

Comment

In for info as well.

Comment

When are y'all planning on planting? I'm thinking disk in mid March (spring break) and try to plant ahead of a rain storm in early April. We are farther north than I'm used to so I'm thinking waiting until April will help with late cold snaps.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
            When are y'all planning on planting? I'm thinking disk in mid March (spring break) and try to plant ahead of a rain storm in early April. We are farther north than I'm used to so I'm thinking waiting until April will help with late cold snaps.

With that spring mix you will want to watch the soil temperature. I believe cowpeas need consistent 60° or more soil temp or they can rot before germinating. I usually plant cowpeas early May in northeast TX, but I’m broadcasting into fall plots instead of discing and trying to let the crimson clover reseed itself for fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m debating if I plant a spring plot. I haven’t had a successful spring plot in years due to lack of rain.

Comment

Planting my first plot this year, so I will be following. Hoping to get some insight on the best mix to plant in Van Zandt county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Polk and Trinity County. I plant Cowpeas every spring in early April once the soil has warmed. I wait till a good rain is coming and plant ahead of it. I’ve always had great success with the April rains. After that not much is needed for Cowpeas.

Comment

Originally posted by GLM View Post
                    I’m debating if I plant a spring plot. I haven’t had a successful spring plot in years due to lack of rain.
                    I’m surprised that you didn’t have success last year because we really had plenty of rain around the lake all year long.

Comment

Fayette County - will be planting green cover seed's warm season pollinator mix. Has a ton of good deer food mixed in there, and plant diversity is incredible.

Never had a lot of success planting in a first year plot in the spring, but I have a good stand of rye and oats going that I'm going to crimp down over the mix. Should keep weeds at bay and help provide that early moisture.

Comment

I'm planting around 80 acres of Turner's Spring Deer Mix. I'll also do some strips of Turner's Pollinator Mix and some sunflowers as well.

I'll plant mid April ahead of a rain.

I'm in Young County.

Comment

Along the same lines, what do y'all use for screening your access? I tried sorghum sudangrass last year per East Texas Seed's recommendations and wasn't very happy with an annual solution; I'd like more of a perennial solution. I'm a fan of Jeff Sturgis and some of the other whitetail habitat youtubers and was curious if anyone had success or experience with the Alamo blend of switchgrass? I'm planning on planting some around my food plots in a couple of months but wanted to see if anyone had hands on experience with it.

Comment

Going to plant in April but I'm worried. Nothing but sand where I hunt in Burleson county.

Comment

Deer vetch and soybeans will be planted in a few months, just refertilized my wheat and the deer are hammering it, won’t touch protein pellets right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X