2021 Catfish Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kparker158 View Post
    This is pretty much the rig I use, really don’t need a barrel swivel, I just use the eye of the weight. I’ll throw some lines with peg floats and some without.

As far as bait, Shad is always a top performer but using cut up perch/bluegill works for me also. Plus perch are fun for the kids to catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Love this rig.
    Personally I wouldn't be tight lining from the bank with it unless there was a little current.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
      Love this rig.
      Personally I wouldn't be tight lining from the bank with it unless there was a little current.
      I was just gonna throw it as far as I can, stick it in a rod holder with the bait clicker on, and start peelin Lone Stars.

So basically a Carolina rig, with the peg float added, and a catfish hook....even I can handle that! I'll look for a bait shop, but the kids will be perch fishing as well.

I had a guy work for me for a while who caught hundreds of pounds of catfish a month on Bar S hotdog weiners partly rotten, so I was gonna try to have something like that ready.

Comment

Ice fishing season up here. Good friend brought us some nice channel cat filets he caught under the ice in Eastern Wyoming. Have to say the cold water really gives the meat a nice firm texture and the lake is on a river so the water is pretty clear too. Great eating.
        Trying to coordinate on a day to go out with him.

Not anything near the size of the posted catches, those are awesome fish !
        Some ice catches from last year.
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice fish and great advice on this thread!

Comment

Where are the target areas right now for river fishing? I fish some Guadalupe River lakes with low currents...

Comment

We had decent trip out on Conroe yesterday. First time out this year. Wind was up and water was rough but we managed 23 good eaters.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                I was just gonna throw it as far as I can, stick it in a rod holder with the bait clicker on, and start peelin Lone Stars.

So basically a Carolina rig, with the peg float added, and a catfish hook....even I can handle that! I'll look for a bait shop, but the kids will be perch fishing as well.

I had a guy work for me for a while who caught hundreds of pounds of catfish a month on Bar S hotdog weiners partly rotten, so I was gonna try to have something like that ready.
                BAR S soaked in kool aid works great. Gonna be hard to cast them very far without slinging them off. You'd be better off using liver. Cut with scissors so the membrane stays stuck to the meat. Cast as far as you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
                  BAR S soaked in kool aid works great. Gonna be hard to cast them very far without slinging them off. You'd be better off using liver. Cut with scissors so the membrane stays stuck to the meat. Cast as far as you want.
                  you gonna have to school me on them big fish down this way. Something Ive always wanted to try

Comment

Here are a few cats from different days this year on Lake Conroe.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Catfish

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

Dale,get a bag of range cubes;and slang about ten pounds of em out from the bank.20% ones sink faster than 16%.Don't know why,but they do.In cold water it takes awhile for em to start breaking down.The catfish will be in that area in a couple hours.I won't even go catfishing without a bag of range cubes.Never caught anything over 6/7 pounds,bit always limit out pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbuddyandroby View Post
                        Here are a few cats from different days this year on Lake Conroe.
                        Nice, I’m going to try to get out on Conroe this weekend if weather is good. Try to chase big blues

Comment

If you guy are just lookin' for eaters, get you a 5 gallon bucket and fill it up about 2/3 full of milo, then fill it with water and put the lid on and sit it out in the sun... It'll sour in a week or 2 and will keep like that for a year or more and still be "good"... You don't have to add anything to it, but you can... some add a beer, a pack of brewer's yeast or some other fermentation catalyst, but just putting the maze in a bucket of water will get it cookin' pretty good.

Got to a spot on the lake (I used to fish CornRow a lot) that maybe you've caught fish before and throw out a coffee can or 2 of that maze. most of it will sink... give it a few minutes to draw in the fish... If' there's any in the area, that will concentrate them and make them come to you rather than you having to go hunt for them...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            If you guy are just lookin' for eaters, get you a 5 gallon bucket and fill it up about 2/3 full of milo, then fill it with water and put the lid on and sit it out in the sun... It'll sour in a week or 2 and will keep like that for a year or more and still be "good"... You don't have to add anything to it, but you can... some add a beer, a pack of brewer's yeast or some other fermentation catalyst, but just putting the maze in a bucket of water will get it cookin' pretty good.

Got to a spot on the lake (I used to fish CornRow a lot) that maybe you've caught fish before and throw out a coffee can or 2 of that maze. most of it will sink... give it a few minutes to draw in the fish... If' there's any in the area, that will concentrate them and make them come to you rather than you having to go hunt for them...

Chopped corn works too.

Comment

It does and it "sours" quicker, but it also goes bad/rots quicker than maze. I've got 2 buckets of maze now that are at least a year old and they still look like I just started them, but that smell.... well, it's pungent!!

Comment

My Ipilot Terrova showed up today. Pretty excited to get the boat rigged up how I want it. Ordered the MulTBar Rod racks last week, still waiting on them to ship.

Comment

Working...
                                X